McNair Discrimination

Rise

Guru
Ray Lewis has stated in an interview that he thinks Steve McNair's treatment by the Titans was due to racism.

"I don't ever want to turn it into a black-white issue," Lewis told ESPN's Ed Werder in an interview scheduled to be run on ESPN's Sunday NFL Countdown (11 a.m. ET). "But it would really puzzle me, seriously, if anybody would ever tell Brett Favre ... if anybody would ever tell Peyton Manning not to walk into the Indianapolis facility.

article

Yea sure Ray, that has to be the only logical explanation for his departure.
smiley36.gif

Triad

Mentor
ESPN was analyzing this terrible situation this afternoon on PTI. They came to the conclusion that no team should treat a QB like that. Neither of the experts mentioned Billy Volek.

Rise

Guru
Im sure that Ray's statements are fairly representative of what most black players in the NFL feel. Especially if a white player with superior skills were to take their job. Claiming racism seems to usually be the first response to an adverse situation. Ive witnessed this countless times at my job.

Im still waiting patiently for the 1st white player to finally proclaim the overt racism that exists against him..

Freedom

Mentor
Rise, I've read articles that claimed overt anti white racism by Tom Zibikowdki and an obscure running back named Chad Brinker,who was a stellar back.

G

Well, the truth is that the way McNair was treated was poor, to say the least. It was a classless move by the organization.

However, playing the race card is not a great decision here. The Titans have, in the past, not only had McNair, but also Warren Moon. They replaced Steve McNair with Vince Young, who they chose over Matt Leinart.

If any team in the NFL has somehow been covertly disrespectful to black people as quarterbacks, it most definitely is not the Titans.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Futuregohan30 said:
Well, the truth is that the way McNair was treated was poor, to say the least. It was a classless move by the organization.

If anybody was treated poorly by the Titans, it was Billy Volek.

bigunreal

Mentor
The depth of moral depravity in Don King's America hits a new low seemingly every day. Here we have a black thug who is not on death row solely because of his race and celebrity, publicly proclaiming that an organization he has no connection to, and no experience working for, was racist in its treatment of a black player he only recently had any connection with. We're still waiting for the first established white player to speak out publicly about the obvious, systematic discrimination that goes on daily against white players. Of course, the white "racist" media is only too happy to air his ignorant, inflammatory comments ad nauseum, while the lame, wannabe comedians who pose as "journalists" cease their standup acts when this incredibly serious subject is brought up, which it will be, early and often.

In a sane society, even a first class killer like Ray Lewis would have enough appreciation for the system he cheated to at least not bring undue attention to himself. This is just another in a seemingly endless series of remarks alleging racism, made by some famous black, that will be taken seriously by the white "racist" society these blacks have to endure, until the company or individual accused of the racism issues the obligatory public apology. Never, ever will you hear the other side of this supposed "debate" Edited by: bigunreal

Kaptain

Master
Let's make this clear: Steve McNair is no Brett Farve or Peyton Manning. HeII, Joe Montana was even sent packing at the end of his career. McNair is a guy who almost never practiced. Of course the media spun that into something that was pretty much the opposite of reality. Remember how he was injured every week but somehow was able to play. The guy was lazy and showed little dedication to his sport. He didn't win a superbowl and his stats were average at best. How long should an organization suffer with a clearly sub-par black QB? Why do we insist on annointing black QBs starters for life? McNair was not treated poorly at all - much the opposite.

C Darwin

Mentor
Kaptain Poop said:
How long should an organization suffer with a clearly sub-par black QB?

As long as the black wants. The blacks have a political power structure to defend their interests. Ray Lewis is just doing his share. I have little doubt that this "interview" was timed and scripted. Why now? Why this subject? This isn't Ray's first interview of the season. Name a black with NFL head coaching experience that isn't employed as a NFL head coach right now. You can't, they are all employed at the pinnacle of their profession. Whites have yet to redevelop this power structure. Stories like this gives me hope for the future. People are starting to "get it".

Futuregohan30 said:

Wow, why is it that every time a black player isn't declared the "holy savior" of a team, people automatically think their are dirty doings plotted against him. McNair is nothing special, we all know that, he's just not that good.

What about all those talented White running and defensive backs that are either cut or damned to the bottom of the depth chart every year? Who is crying out discrimination and racism in defense of them? Has anyone heard of Dustin Fox lately? Is he still alive for Gods sake? The guy was one of the best corners in college football, and now he's relegated to bench-duty as the rosters 53rd man somewhere. But nooooooo, everyones worried about the poor, mediocre Steve McNair, and if his feelings are hurt.
smiley7.gif

G

Ground Fighter said:
Wow, why is it that every time a black player isn't declared the "holy savior" of a team, people automatically think their are dirty doings plotted against him. McNair is nothing special, we all know that, he's just not that good.

No, you're jumping to conclusions here, dude, just relax.

I simply said that taking a player who has done so much for your franchise and shutting him out just like that is a somewhat classless move by an organization. It's happened before to other QBs and other players, Joe Montana for one.
But it's still sort of a classless move.

Ground Fighter said:
What about all those talented White running and defensive backs that are either cut or damned to the bottom of the depth chart every year?

I never said that what happened to them was great or anything.

Ground Fighter said:
Who is crying out discrimination and racism in defense of them?

Dude, you're going in the wrong direction here. I have not been defending the notion that Mr. mcNair's treatment was racially motivated. In fact, I have actually went directly against that notion.
All I'm saying is that the way they treated him as a QB and a star player was sort of classless. That's all. Race has nothing to do with that, since such treatment has happened with white athletes as well as black ones.

Ground Fighter said:
Has anyone heard of Dustin Fox lately? Is he still alive for Gods sake? The guy was one of the best corners in college football, and now he's relegated to bench-duty as the rosters 53rd man somewhere. But nooooooo, everyones worried about the poor, mediocre Steve McNair, and if his feelings are hurt.
smiley7.gif

Let's just be realistic, dude. You and I both know very well that Steve McNair is not a mediocre QB. He may not be Joe montana or Peyton Manning, but we all know he is a very good QB in his own right, hence his status.

JD074

Master
Spoiled Dumb Afflete said:
"I don't ever want to turn it into a black-white issue," [snip]

smiley36.gif
The obligatory "I don't want to bring up race" right before he brings up race! Classic.

Eh, Err MacNair was discriminated against. The Titans didn't want an old, broke down QB playing for them anymore, or getting 'hurt' while working out. He just happens to be black.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
This whole "issue" is a sick joke. I can't believe these multi-millionaire crybaby primadonnas would even think of bringing this stuff up!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Matt_Bowen_Fan said:
Eh, Err MacNair was discriminated against. The Titans didn't want an old, broke down QB playing for them anymore, or getting 'hurt' while working out. He just happens to be black.

Yes, it was AGE discrimination!
smiley36.gif
smiley20.gif

Where's the AARP??

Triad

Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:
This whole "issue" is a sick joke. I can't believe these multi-millionaire crybaby primadonnas would even think of bringing this stuff up!

It's that and the NFL's effort to be more like the WWE. What else can they use to hype up the matchup between the Ravens and the pathetic 2-6 Titans. It was clearly explained by the Titans why they did what they did to McNair. Right now, the entire organiation is incompetent and they do little right. But because of the comments, this lackluster game has been getting all the national talk time. It's even the top story on Yahoo sports this morning. It's all about the hype.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I just caught the last part of a segment on ESPN about the contrived McNair controversy. Ditka was supporting Ray Lewis' comments from what I could tell, going on about how "respected" McNair is and how the Titans shouldn't have "humiliated" him the way he did. Every time the word "respect" was uttered, the rest of the buffoons (Irvin, Berman, etc.) would all vigorously nod their heads in agreement. "Steve McNair isone of the most respected players in the NFL" they all seemed to say in unison at one point. Great comic relief.

C Darwin

Mentor
Also, they agreed regarding the "perception" of unequal treatment. They rattled off a list of commonalities between Farve and McNair, but failed to report on the differences between the two situations. I watched Jawarski read his script right off the teleprompter. Irving and Jackson Just nodding their heads like it was divine testimony. Of course there is a perception of racism, because it is being reported as such.

This segment was meant as a lobby for supreme treatment for all black veterans. They mentioned the real reason to keep McNair off the property ONCE in the segment. But I guess the legitimate reason has no place when a black has to face harsh reality.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
I just caught the last part of a segment on ESPN about the contrived McNair controversy. Ditka was supporting Ray Lewis' comments from what I could tell, going on about how "respected" McNair is and how the Titans shouldn't have "humiliated" him the way he did. Every time the word "respect" was uttered, the rest of the buffoons (Irvin, Berman, etc.) would all vigorously nod their heads in agreement. "Steve McNair is one of the most respected players in the NFL" they all seemed to say in unison at one point. Great comic relief.
What did they think of him before his DIU conviction? They must have thought he was Moses....
smiley36.gif
He is warrior but come on he isn't Jackie Robinson or Babe Ruth....

Ray Lewis and McNair each started off with the earlier mentioned obligatory, "I don't want to make it a racial issue but." They each went on to the play the hacknied race card despite being multi millionaires.

The Titans stated they would be financially responsible for millions of dollars in the event, although unlikely, McNair was injured at their facility working out. They should have gone on to indicate how sue happy negroes have historically been (that is a joke obviously) but they did not and the truth is a white unsigned player no longer directly affiliated with their organization would have incurred the same legal liability for the Titans.

Futuregohan30 said:
Let's just be realistic, dude. You and I both know very well that Steve McNair is not a mediocre QB. He may not be Joe montana or Peyton Manning, but we all know he is a very good QB in his own right, hence his status.

Apparently you and I have different opinions as to what exactly defines "a very good qb". If he were solely compared to other black qb's of all time, then yes, he would be considered good. But not in comparason to the rest of the NFL.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I would rate McNair as a good not great
QB in his prime he definitley
managed games well, and came w/ in 2
yards of a Superbowl victory, he's definitley
not a hall of famer though. Ray Lewis sickens
me, why anyone would listen to
anything this criminal says is
beyond me . And now there's this
whole SI article claiming he's found God
. Those are real Christian ethics