Mayweather "retires"...Calzaghe #1 P4P?

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hIsA-tpWM17E2o8Q_IugVtEMY CpgD914S2TG0

Won't post the article as it is not much to read. Basically Floyd "retired" and said that he is done. Excellent fighter, even bigger idiot and a$$. If he is officially done, it will be between Manny Pacquiao and Joe Calzaghe on the best P4P. Most people have Pac-Man #2 and Calzaghe #3. I will admit Pac-Man may be ahead solely on the fact of him fighting more well known opponents and blowing them out. However the opponents that Pac-Man has fought were mostly on the downside of their careers. Calzaghe's opponents were for the most part at or near their peak. The main arguement will be that most in America haven't seen much of him until recently. That just shows the bias against European fighters, though it is a valid point why Joe wouldn't be #2 to writers. If he Joe beats RJJ and Pac-Man doesn't win via KO against Diaz, I think we could see a white person be the first universal #1 P4P fighter since....Rocky Marciano??? I can't think of another one in between him and Joe.

darthvader

Guru
I hope Maywhether decides to compete in MMA because at minimum there are at least five to ten fighters who would wipe the floor with him.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
If David Diaz defeats Manny Pacquiao next weekend, the Ring Magazine should have Joe Calzaghe at #1 p4p.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last white boxer to be Ring p4p #1 was Willie Pep about 60 years ago.

But even if Pacquiao loses, since about half of the boxing writers who vote on those ratings at The Ring are Jewish, I don't think Calzaghe could ever be ranked #1. They'll probably find some excuse to elevate someone else, maybe Hopkins or Vasquez.

G

Based on Manny's and Joe's last performances I would rate them a tie. Manny's next fight against Diaz, a lightweight title holder will shed more light on who is the number one pound for pound fighter.

If Manny wins decisively, he will be the first boxer to win titles in 5 weight classes at the lower weights. That would be a hugh factor.

If Joes decisively beats Roy Jones in their fall fight, then in terms of longevity and having beat Hall of Famers (Just got beat by a whitebooy)Hopkins and Jones, then I would have to lean towards Joes as the number one pound for pound fighter. Just my two cents.

By the way its interesting on how the sports media is sooo quite on the demise of the black American boxer.

G

Also I see Pavlik as the number 3 or 4 best pound for pound fighter, just below Manny or Joe. These are great times to follow our white warriors who are also great sportsman.
smiley32.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
If Manny wins and wins with ease he will be number 1. The last white boxer to be pound per pound was probably Eder Jofre. He was a White Brazilian featherweight . Joe has a case, but Manny is doing the near impossible (if he wins at the end of the month). Manny is former flyweight champion challenging for a lightweight belt. There has never been another flyweight champion that has ever won a belt above 122 as far as I know. As for the demise of the black boxer Ring magazine mentioned it briefly as a semi joke a few issues back....
smiley36.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
darthvader said:
I hope Maywhether decides to compete in MMA because at minimum there are at least five to ten fighters who would wipe the floor with him.

Only five to ten!
smiley2.gif
Any B grade ground and pounder would destroy him at present.

guest301 said:
darthvader said:

Only five to ten!
smiley2.gif
Any B grade ground and pounder would destroy him at present.

Although Mayweather may be quick, anyone who can shoot or can even do a basic single/double leg takedown even with no MMA knowledge will change the odds to dang near even money.
smiley17.gif

G

ESPN is a racist organization like I always thought. They just listed Joes as the number one PFP fighter today! What is the world coming to? What is next a black president?
smiley36.gif