matthew sod?

Troy_Bruno

so who is this "matthew sod" guy my boss keeping talking up, like he's in awe of him. Some old black boxer. He said the white guys would always start great and build up a big lead against him, then he'd just come back and knock them out in the later rounds, like he was just playing with them.

These are his words, not mine. I just work for the guy

speedster

Mentor
That would be Matthew Franklin who changed his name to Matthew Saad Muhammed after winning the WBC light-heavyweight title from Marvin Johnson in 1979.Matt was a blood and guts fighter who could absorb a lot of punishment and then have something left in the tank to score a big knockout.He had two wars each against the aformentioned Johnson as well as two against both John Conteh and Yaqui Lopez.In the secound Lopez fight Matt was nearly out in the 8th round only to come back to score a spectacular TKO in the 14th round.Murry Sutherland also gave Matt heck for a portion of their fight before getting stopped.

white is right

Hall of Famer
He was the 70's version of Arturo Gatti. His war with Yaqui is a classic(Yaqui is one my favorites).

freedom1

Mentor
Yeah, I remember Murry Sutherland. He would wear Scottish style plaid trunks in the ring. He just missed winning a world title. He was one of my favorite white hopes of that day.