Matt Bruno

SteveB

Mentor
We have talked about California high school sprint star Matt Bruno in other threads. He was the top sprinter in the state in high school, went to UCLA where he was dismissed from the team. Well, Matt popped up at the USC invitational this past weekend running unattached. He got second in the 100m with a 10.49 with a negligible 0.4 wind and was ninth in the 200m with a 21.92. Pretty amazing since, to my knowledge, he hasn't been running competitively in the last couple of years. Maybe some college will give him a shot.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
That's great news SteveB.I'm happy to see him running again.What potential this kid had coming out of high school.To waste it away without trying your best just makes me sick.It kind of reminds me of what happened to Casey Combest.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Bruno's been around.
I've seen his name in the results of small meets in So.Cal, ever since he left UCLA. But he hadn't done anything special, otherwise I would have mentioned it.
Last year he ran a 10.66 100m.
However, this past wkend he ran 10.41, which is faster than he ran in HS, so he is finally making progress.
I watched the NCAAs this wkend and noticed a guy in the finals of the 200m, was someone Bruno had beat in the 100 and 200 at the Cal State HS Championships.
Too bad he didn't stick in college and get some proper coaching. He is running unattached these days.
In that respect, he reminds me of Casey Combest. Probably the 2 best white 100m high schoolers in 25 years (until Shane Crawford came along last year), and neither could make it in college. I wonder if it has anything to do with the pressure of being a white sprinter in a black sprinter world?

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Matt continues to sprint.
He just ran 6.23 55 meters at a Fresno indoor meet. I think that is a fairly good time.
Glad to know that he is still running - it's good that you can go to a meet and see a white guy who is competitive in the sprints.
Just in case you've never seen it, here is a video of him winning California State 100m Title in 2002 - beating, among others, Reggie Bush, now with the Saints.
http://www.vimeo.com/1044608Edited by: jacknyc

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Matt Bruno will be running in the 60 meters at the USA Track & Field Champs. This is great news. I don't care if he finishes in last, he is following his dream and that is all that matters. Way to go Matt. I hope he runs his ass off. This kid had so much talent coming out of high school. By the way, he has his own website but it needs alot of work. It is a work in progress. Here is the link and good luck Matt!

http://www.sub10.biz/

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It might be another no show like the US Indoors but Matt Bruno is scheduled to run at the Stanford Invitational this Saturday. The field isn't too bad so hopefully he will show up and put up a descent time.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Matt is still at it....ran a 10.49 today in LA. Not an exceptional time, but I give him credit for staying with the sport, even though he is not a top tier aprinter who would get paid to go to meets. He is just doing this on his own, and still performing well.
It's good for fans to still see that there are white guys in this sport/event.

albinosprint

Mentor
very true! it too bad we can't get guys like him and Dallas Robinson some sponsorship money and a good coach just to see how them reach full potential.

mbruno1033

So I was googling myself to find the results for some meet that I ran 10.41 at for verification to be seeded in a meet and this site popped up. I read some of the comments by you guys on this thread so I joined to say thanks to those tlking bout me in a positive way...

I hear so much negativity and bad rumers going around about me that its good to see people still hoping the best for me. I have had so much difficulty and hardship in my life but I have never given up. Im getting close, I have been honing in on the formula and I will be runing world class soon. It has just taken me longer cause I have started way in the back.

Anyway thanks for the support strangers !!!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Welcome to the board Matt. We support all white athletes here. Please keep us posted as to when your racing. Thanks and good luck to you.

mbruno1033

Thanks!!! I moved this year bck to OC and I couldn't find access to a weightroom to do olympic lifts till recently so my power levels have been suspect this year. I just got back in the weightroom and I can still close out the year with a 10.3 or at least 10.4 by late june early july. However Im gonna have to wait till next year and start my training porperly from the begining and 9.9 in my view. I last year I was on pace until I strained my hammy in march and was out for 6 weeks. My fist day sprinting back I still ran 10.48 into a -0.3 wind at UC irvine on may 2nd.

Im runnin june 6 at mt. sac college and june 14 at pt. loma nazarene and then Im gonna run on july 9 at club nationals in san francisco. I hope to run 10.3 then

albinosprint

Mentor
welcome to the board Matt. I wish you the best of luck this year!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Matt, great to have you here at CF! All the best in your athletic endeavors!

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
mbruno1033 said:
Thanks!!!  I moved this year bck to OC and I couldn't find access to a weightroom to do olympic lifts till recently so my power levels have been suspect this year.  I just got back in the weightroom and I can still close out the year with a 10.3 or at least 10.4 by late june early july.  However Im gonna have to wait till next year and start my training porperly from the begining and 9.9 in my view.  I last year I was on pace until I strained my hammy in march and was out for 6 weeks.  My fist day sprinting back I still ran 10.48  into a  -0.3 wind at UC irvine on may 2nd.
<div> </div>
<div>Im runnin june 6 at mt. sac college and june 14 at pt. loma nazarene and then Im gonna run on july 9 at club nationals in san francisco.  I hope to run 10.3 then</div>

Matt, good luck to you. I've been following you since you were in high school. I hope 2010 is a break through year for you.
A little side note - SF is usually cold and foggy in July, especially in the evenings. So don't let that catch you off guard.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Assuming you are actually Matt Bruno"¦I'll never forget the infamous photo of you smoking Reggie Bush at the California state track meet. Yet that loser was handed everything from the NCAA and the NFL, and you have had to struggle for everything. Yet another microcosm of the American Caste System, I suppose.

The PTB, no matter how hard their wormy little brains may ponder, can't keep a good white man down. Again, assuming you are not misrepresenting yourself, I wish you the best!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Thrashen said:
Assuming you are actually Matt Bruno"¦I'll never forget the infamous photo of you smoking Reggie Bush at the California state track meet. Yet that loser was handed everything from the NCAA and the NFL, and you have had to struggle for everything. Yet another microcosm of the American Caste System, I suppose.

The PTB, no matter how hard their wormy little brains may ponder, can't keep a good white man down. Again, assuming you are not misrepresenting yourself, I wish you the best!

Not to mention that Reggie Bush has been a bust thus far in his career. He was hyped up as if he would be the Jordan of the NFL. Good luck Matt!!

mbruno1033

Ya reggie bush doesn't really like me. Football players at usc that went to the nfl used to tell me that teemates would clown him in the locker room for getting beat by a white boy and he told them that whate i did was impossible and that I had to have been using drugs. lol. One of my freinds saw him in vegas and clowned him about it and he got all mad. I don't knw why he cares heis making millions, sh*t.
Last year I was beeting pros with contracts indoors early and running fast (coaching myself and working still) anda coach I know was coaching under VS athletics was at the meet in fresno where I ran 6.23. He called the CEO later that night and asked him to sponsor me to give me the extra help to push me over the top and the CEO told him If matt is running that fast now he must be using drugs and I don't want to take that risk. The coach called me later and told me and I was mad. If I was black and ran fast than I would have gotten help. Their mentality is black people run fast because their black and white people run fast because they use drugs and that is why I have a steeper hill to climb.

I never believed that because that has never been my reality ever since I was a little kid. I never heard that till i got to highschool and my freshman year I told my coach I was gonna run 10.5 when Im a senior and he laughed at me sayin you will be luck to break 11, your fast for a white boy but if you want to do well at something run the 400. I didn't understand whate white had to do with it.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I see you understand the discrimination white athletes face on a daily basis. The fact that Bush's teammates were clowning him for losing to a white guy shows you the anti white racism of most blacks. I also saw some of the Youtube comments on the video of you running against Bush and some idiot wrote "unbelievable that a white kid could do that." People are so stupid these days. You are absolutely correct about a black kid getting help.

mbruno1033

But you knw whte... They forced me to figure out the formula for myself and I almost got it all down. Next year Ima come out and shock the world. However because of finances their is a little luck involved I must be smart and moniter my stress levels while im training to keep my cortisole low and not get hurt cause when I start bangin the cleans and jerks and sprinting. When I go real fast I have to rest a lot cause I walk a razor edge. Last year I was running like 6.4 s electric in practice in my 60s. Goin on my movement (and I mean my eye blinks the clock starts) i was gettn clocked at like 6.07 6.08 everytime. I could call out the time to a hundreth of a second I got the feeling down so percise. I was cleaning 295 but to the floor and jerking 245 locking my elbows. When I started in spikes my 30s got down to 3.47 on my movement I was out like a cat. Im trying to find sponsors that will give me a bonus for a 60 performance to support my outdoor training. Like operation 9.9 lol. Once i get my 60 to 6.4 then Ima hit the fitness and the speed belts for 8 weeks and make and attempt at 9.9 in may.

oxnardlocal

Good stuff man. Good Luck, please post your results of your meets here so we can monitor your progress.

freedom1

Mentor
Let's confirm this guy is really Matt Bruno and start a contribution fund for him.

mbruno1033

Wow whoever you are (freedom1) just the thought of making a comment like that is really appreciated. Ive never expected or gotten anythingfrom anyone so I would say thatsounds too good to be true.... Most of the time at least. However you want to confirm that this is really me let me know. We can talk by phone. You know I have a website www.sub10.biz