Master of the Obvious Retires

The Hock

Master
Don Wassall said:
There was something weird looking about him too in later years.  He reminded me of a 350 pound opera singer.
smiley36.gif

Yeah, there's something that hearkens back about him. He made me think of a medieval woodcarving, or something crouched on a cathedral somewhere.

Oh well, he didn't get by just on his looks. Come to think of it, I don't what he got by on. As for his work in the booth, I found his overenthusiastic jabbering intrusive and distracting.
Edited by: The Hock

foreverfree

Mentor
sport historian said:
When the Raiders were in Super Bowls XV and XVIII, the press focused on Al Davis rather than Tom Flores, who was supposedly the coach. This was noted by some at the time.

Perhaps part of the focus was on Davis because of his ongoing courtroom feud with Pete Rozelle over the right to relocate the Raiders to Los Angeles.

At the time of SB XV, the Raiders/LA Coliseum Federal lawsuit against the NFL was pending and the Raiders had already moved their offices and practices to LA, while still playing games in Oakland on court order pending the outcome of the suit.

By the time of SB XVIII, Davis had won his suit and moved the Raiders' games to LA, although the NFL's appeal to the circuit court was pending (the NFL lost the appeal soon after SB XVIII).

To read all about it, I highly recommend The League: The Rise and Decline of the NFL by David Harris.

John

foreverfree said:
sport historian said:
When the Raiders were in Super Bowls XV and XVIII, the press focused on Al Davis rather than Tom Flores, who was supposedly the coach. This was noted by some at the time.

Perhaps part of the focus was on Davis because of his ongoing courtroom feud with Pete Rozelle over the right to relocate the Raiders to Los Angeles.

At the time of SB XV, the Raiders/LA Coliseum Federal lawsuit against the NFL was pending and the Raiders had already moved their offices and practices to LA, while still playing games in Oakland on court order pending the outcome of the suit.

By the time of SB XVIII, Davis had won his suit and moved the Raiders' games to LA, although the NFL's appeal to the circuit court was pending (the NFL lost the appeal soon after SB XVIII).

To read all about it, I highly recommend The League: The Rise and Decline of the NFL by David Harris.

John

I read The League years ago. Yes, part of the focus on Davis was because of his feud with Pete Rozelle, and they were waiting for Rozelle to present the Super Bowl trophy to Al Davis. Still, Tom Flores was little noticed for the head coach of a Super Bowl team.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
I know some here like John Madden, who retired from broadcasting today, but I found him for the most part to be an incredibly well paid buffoon.  His Everyman style had a lot of appeal to football fans and non-fans alike, but from a Caste perspective he did a lot of damage over the years with his endless stereotyping of players and athletes, precisely because he had such influence.  Look at how many great white players his Raiders teams had in the 1970s on both sides of the ball and how he rarely if ever he deviated from the Caste System party line as an announcer.  Even his video game was full of miscategorizing of white players from what I understand. 

There was something weird looking about him too in later years.  He reminded me of a 350 pound opera singer.
He reminded me of Doug Heffernan from the King of Queens. Whenever there was a lull in a game or the game was a blowout he would always start talking about the local football food and start salivating on the air.
smiley36.gif
Let his replacement be anybody but the class clown Collinsworth.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I'm already bracing myself for what clown
smiley8.gif
Collinsworth will be bringing to the booth this season. I see from scout he has a son going into college football as a safety. He has some offers. IN the unlikely event that he makes it to the NFL and Collinsworth is still in the booth. I'd like to see him try not to call his son one of the "slow-ass" safties or "unathletic", "tight-hipped" LBs (if he gets converted) like he does every other white skill position player in the league.Edited by: Jack Lambert

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
From the sound of things, it looks like I'll be watching or listening to even less NFL football this year.