Maskaev vs. Okhello

referendum

Mentor
Just a reminder, Oleg Maskaev defends his WBC crown on Sunday in Moscow against Peter Okhello. Haven't seen any discussion about this, anyone have any feelings on this one?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Hadn't heard anything about it. Is Okhello another power punching Nigerian?

referendum

Mentor
I believe I read somewhere that Okhello is a Ugandan. Didn't see any mention of TV on the schedule for the fight. I get the schedule from fightnews.com As the fight is in Moscow it probably won't get much publicity unfortunatly. The british bookies have Maskaev a 10 to one favorite, and if I remember correctly Okhello is ranked in the teens of top heavyweights by fightnews.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Hockaday said:
Will it be televised in the U.S.?
No I heard that HBO will show highlights during one of their December broadcasts. This fight will be broadcast live on Russian TV, as far as I know even German and Eurosport aren't picking this up either.
smiley5.gif
smiley11.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
Maskaev retains WBC title!
By Alexey Sukachev at ringside
WBC heavyweight champion Oleg Maskaev pounded out a one-sided unanimous decision over Peter Okhello on Sunday night at the Olympiysky Sports Arena in Moscow. Oleg dropped Okhello in round ten en route to a 120-107, 120-107, 117-110 win. It was the first world heavyweight title fight ever held in Russia.

speedster

Mentor
Maskaev wins a 12 round unanimous decision and scored a knockdown in the 10th round.Also Alexander Povetkin KO'd Imamu Mayfield in the 3rd round.

Hockaday

Guru
I guess it's just boxing politics, but I'd have loved to watch this one on HBO or SHO. Instead, HBO shows that boring ass Jerlame Taylor's glorified sparring match with Kaseem Uma. Every round the same as the one before.

I've been a boxing fan since I can remember, but crap like this makes the UFC bigger every day.

In any case, way to go Oleg.

referendum

Mentor
Apparently this fight was big news in Russia. President Putin signed a decree giving Maskaev Russian citizenship (he is ethnic Russian from Kazakhstan, home to millions of ethnic Russians). Apparently, but its unclear as it was a poorly written press release on the WBC website, President Putin and the Moscow mayor were planning on being at the fight. Obviously it would be great if it got more exposure, but its great for all the up and coming Russian boxers to know that they can have fights close to home as well as in the US and western Europe. fightnews.com has covered this fairly well, I think.

referendum

Mentor
Fight was a sellout with 10,000 in attendance including Klitshko and Valuev. The bottom of the article mentioned that Maskaev wants a unification fight, didn't say who. I'd like to see an all Russian unification fight.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
referendum said:
I'd like to see an all Russian unification fight.

Not me. Black fighters have been dodging each other for years to keep the title's in their "family." I think the Russians should do the same.

Anyway their big payday's are fighting black American fighters, they can make more fighting washed up guys like Holyfield then each other.

white is right

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
referendum said:
I'd like to see an all Russian unification fight.

Not me. Black fighters have been dodging each other for years to keep the title's in their "family." I think the Russians should do the same.

Anyway their big payday's are fighting black American fighters, they can make more fighting washed up guys like Holyfield then each other.
Right now they are running towards Klitschko. Micheal Moorer threw his hat into the ring saying "he wants to conquer Russia". I guess he doesn't know history as he would know neither Napoleon or Hitler kept Russia for long.....
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif

Bunnyman

Guru
I would rather see Maskaev fight Klitschko or Valuev next. As great a story as he is, Oleg is very vulnerable and stands a good chance of losing to James Toney or Sam Peter. Better he lose to a white champ who can then consolidate the titles.

By the way, Shannon Briggs is also very vulnerable and will lose his title soon.

White_Savage

Mentor
Unification sounds good in theory, but the other 3 titleholders, (And hopefully all 4 belts will be back in White hands soon) can and do act as Klitschko's "bodyguard", since everyone knows he is the strongest. Valuev and Maskaev are huge tests for anyone. Even if someone overcomes them to challenge Klitscko, they will have taken a beating. Every beating takes something out of a fighter, making Klitscko's crown that much more secure.

Bunnyman

Guru
I really believe Valuev is the best heavyweight right now. Though I know that is a minority opinion.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Bunnyman said:
I really believe Valuev is the best heavyweight right now. Though I know that is a minority opinion.
I'm starting to come around to that idea. I really don't think he is a walk in the park for Klitschko. He is huge and looks like he has a good chin. If Wlad tries to tee off on him and Valuev is still standing this fight is a pickem at best.

JD074

Master
There may be a big stumbling block to a Klitschko/ Valuev fight. I read that Don King wants "options" (something like that) to promote future Klitschko fights to be included in any deal. And that Klitschko, who doesn't have a promoter, wants no part of that.

Best case would be for Klitschko to fight Briggs . If he wins whcih is highly probable he then holds half the belts an becomes in the publics eye "THE CHAMP" in which case King will them beg him to fight Valuev. To loosely quote a line from "Cindarella Man " You know what the game is and it damn sure ain't pugilism.

Charlie

Sounds as if King feels Klitschko would be the probable winner of a Klitscho-Valuev fight. This would highly irritate me if I were Valueve.

JD074

Master
Hey guys, the Maskaev/ Okhello fight will be replayed on the Best Damn Sports Show Period on Monday. Very cool.