Mark McGwire

This guy today made all my worst fears come true. He wouldnt say anything about steroids and just made himself look bad. I was a big McGwire fan before today because even tho he didnt say it we all knew today that Mark used steroids. It was just a sad day for McGwire fans and a sad day to be a "white" slugger fan.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
It's definitely a shot that Bonds didn't have to be there, but yes, I think it hurts them all and the sport.

Kaptain

Master
No doubt a bad day for McGwire fans. But, overall a a great day for those who want to restore Maris and the Babe's records. Bonds should have been the one answering the tough questions.

Kaptain

Master
In watching the congressional hearing yesterday, it appeared that many of the congressmen had great concern for the widespread use of steroids. Nearly all of them shook their finger at the heads of baseball for knowing of the problem for many years and doing nothing about it. And rightfully so. But ......

Congress also knew of the problem at least since 1991 when steroids were made a class III illegal drug by congress. Steroids as well as many other illegal drugs get to the US mainly via the Mexican border. What has congress done to secure the border since 1991? A great question that I wish somebody would have asked many of the congressmen who were pretending to be morally superior.

Well now we see what direction baseball is going in. If congress steps in i think it would be great. The way it has been said is that if congress has to take over all Sports with the steroid issues then it will be a 1 strike rule. If you use steroids you are out of sports and i think thats great but what about the fact that now today the players today have to try to match Bonds and McGwire and they are not going to be able to do this because of the fact that Bonds and McGwire had help by using steroids. So i think if they find out Bonds used steroids they should take away every homerun and remove him from baseball. The same should go for McGwire and the homeruns he had and all players past and present that can be linked to steroid use.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The anti-white corporate media is really going after McGwire with a vegeance, while pretty much ignoring everyone else who testified. And of course Barry Bonds, the one who should have been front and center in front of the committee, is given a pass by both the committee and the media.

Here's just one example of many articles tearing into McGwire:

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=bayless/0503 18[/url]

A pretty good article calling Congress on its steroids grandstanding in front of the TV cameras is this one from CounterPunch:

http://www.counterpunch.org/lindorff03192005.html

KD52171

Guru
What gets me is that you have congressmen and women sitting there judging whats going on in baseball when the majority of them wouldnt know a baseball from a softball.

Dont judge Mark until it is proven (only if he admits it will it be proven)that he did do steroids. He admits to using andro which was found at your local GNC store.

Stand behind our white players fellas.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Actually, it wouldn't surprise me to learn many if not most players have used steroids from time to time. The fans were tauntingCansecoin Oakland during the late eighties chanting steroids steroids when he came to to the plate. Many kids would do just about anything for the chance to make millions and be a huge celebrity. Or how about the guy with average ability who struggles with mediocrity after many fruitless years pursuing a dream?

A local talk show host called McGwire a slug the other day. He has railed against him for years. But I don't understand why he never trashes Bonds, Sheffield or Sosa who have had countless off the field problems. Sosa's corked bat incident, wife beating, and video tape proving he lied about leaving a game don't seem to elicit any negative responses, onlyMcGuire is called a slug of a human being.

okra63

Guru
McGwire is the man. He may have shot up. I don't know, but look at the pressure these guys are under to perform. I believe Congress may have done the wrong thing by intervening. Liberal politicians have no business in baseball, steroids or no steroids, because baseball is a private business. I don't want the government nosing in my day to day operations on the spur of the moment. It sometimes seems this way atleast.

JD074

Master
The anti-white double standards of the media- which is a reality
and goes without saying around here- is a separate issue from
McGwire's little "performance" before Congress. Let's get real.
It was despicable. He hid behind his precious "loyalty" to his
teammates, using it as an excuse for why he wouldn't talk
about the past. "I want to be positive." What a load of
garbage. If he never took steroids, all he had to do was say, "I
did not use steroids." That's it. Nobody expected him to name
all his former teammates that he knew took steroids. Give me a
break.

Clearly this charade was a desperate attempt by him and/ or
his lawyer to make his evasion palatable to everyone watching.
But it doesn't matter how they tried to sugar-coat it. When he
turned to his lawyer after being asked a question, and the
words "my lawyer has advised me" left his mouth, you know
he's full of crap.

He was just like Bonds, a coward evading the truth. The media
might not be brave or smart enough to make that comparison,
but we should be. We love and support our players, but we
should still be honest and admit when they've screwed up. I
have ten times more respect for Giambi than either Bonds or
McGwire.

And the crying was an embarrassment as well. I don't want to
see our sports heroes sobbing like a baby.

I agree, Okra. The government should have better
things to do than meddle in baseball. This is why our taxes are
so high. There so many busybodies in the government
"allocating" our resources into such fruitless endeavors. They
have no respect for us and our money. Edited by: JD074

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good points in the last two posts. I think McGwire did himself bad by "not talking about the past" but I really wish Bonds had been there, he deserved to get some tough questions. This is a real sucky issue to me. It has all the ingredients for a bad day-government(big brother) intervention-antiwhite bias-ethics. One big ole mess.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I think that McGwire should have come clean to.It would
have been better but he is worried about them going
after him.What could they really do?They didn't have
testing back then.Anyways,McGwire would have hit 500
homers even without steroids.Maybe they wouldn't have
went as far,but damn was that guy talented.Look at Mike
Schmidtt.He did it the right way.Mark was more than tall
and big enough to hit homers.I think the injuries that
he sustained because he got too big hurt his career more.
He should have stayed like he was his rookie season
where he hit 49 homers!He didn't need to take the juice!

Bear-Arms

Mentor
I agree with KD because I thought Mark admitted using andro.
Theres a different from getting something from GNC, and getting a
special doctor to inject something in you illegally. Although I am
unaware if baseball had banned andro before that season. He was
an obvious homerun hitter anyway he had almost 50 in 1987 so I dont see
why he even had to use it. In the 80s Bonds was only hitting like
20 to 30 homers a season, then the 90's came and he started
getting bigger and bigger. I think he most benefited from using
steroids, and only time will tell really if it was worth it. These guys
who use steroids for a long period time usually end up with some kind
of medical problem.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah, Bear Arms, and Bonds will get away with it too. He is getting and will keep getting a pass because of the color of his skin. it's perfectly ok to attack McGwire, but not Bonds.

Bart

Hall of Famer
According to a survey of HOF voters the steroids issue would bar Mac from entering while Bonds has the votes to get in. Wow. Part of story below.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Mark McGwire could miss out on making the Hall of Fame because of baseball's swirling steroids scandal, heightened by his refusal to answer specific questions before Congress, an Associated Press survey showed Thursday.

Barry Bonds would get enough support to make it into Cooperstown, but he's far from being a shoo-in, according to results from 155 Hall voters polled this week among the roughly 500 eligible.

Only 65 said they would vote for McGwire when he becomes eligible in two years or were leaning that way; 52 said no or were leaning that way and 38 were undecided.

Bonds received 105 votes for election, 25 against and 25 were undecided.

Players need 75 percent of the vote to get into the Hall.

McGwire got just 55.6 percent support from those who gave a yes/no response, while Bonds was at 80.8 percent.

``I will not vote for Mark McGwire,'' Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times said. ``It's obvious from his own statements he used some form of performance-enhancing drugs and it's obvious from his statistics he did not become a Hall of Fame-type player until he did so.''

[url]http://www.newsday.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-bbo-st eroids-hall-of-fame,0,3090911.story?coll=sns-ap-sports-headl ines[/url]

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well Mr. Plaschke, couldn't the same be said of Barry Bonds? Well, could it? Huh? Tell me. I guess not, but only because he's black.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
I think that McGwire should have come clean to.It would
have been better but he is worried about them going
after him.What could they really do?They didn't have
testing back then.Anyways,McGwire would have hit 500
homers even without steroids.Maybe they wouldn't have
went as far,but damn was that guy talented.Look at Mike
Schmidtt.He did it the right way.Mark was more than tall
and big enough to hit homers.I think the injuries that
he sustained because he got too big hurt his career more.
He should have stayed like he was his rookie season
where he hit 49 homers!He didn't need to take the juice!

I know much of this about McGwire was probably covered before I began posting on CF, but I don't fully agree that MM cheated based on MLB not testing for roids when and if MM was actually taking them. If their was no ban or testing, how can you say he was cheating?

To me MM always had the abilility to hit 70 HR's in one season with or without roids.

If you study MM's stats, he had a steady progression in HR/AB ratio, except for the years he was injured and during his second year his HR/AB rose somewhat, but pitchers knew he was a talent and he had to adjust during the next several years.

I believe if MM was using, he started, because he liked lifting weights (it made him stronger) and to help him recover from injury, but the proof can't be put just on his size. He came into the league at 185lbs. right out of college and left MLB at 215lbs. It's easy for a man his size 6'4 to put on 30lbs. by lifting and eating the right foods and extra protein to your diet.

With BB he came into the league around 175lbs. and some say he balooned to almost 255lbs. That's 80lbs. on 6'0 frame. He must have gotten a better product than MM!

Every other player who had career years hitting HR's came out of nowhere.

Sosa was terrible before his use, Bonds was hitting around 1 HR/ 20AB before his use. Heck I think Brady Anderson even hit 52 HR's one year!

Big Mac's HR's were legendary from age 13 until his untimely retirement from MLB.

McGwire's talent was always there. 49 HR's/557 AB. A 11.3, HR/AB (6'4 185lbs.) ratio during his rookie year. Still a MLB record. His career HR/AB 10.6 is also an MLB record.

During his last 2 years MM hit 61 HR's in 535 AB, A HR in every 8.8 AB's.

If not for injuries and early retirement, he would have easily hit 800 HR's and been the HR King with or without roids!

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It's possible he was only on supplements that you could buy at GNC or Hi Health. You could also order stuff off the internet. I remember him being asked about the andro supplements in his locker. At the time, MLB had no ban on Andro so he answerd the questions honestly.

I agree that he never needed them whether he took them or not. This guy was a phenomenal talent and a joy to watch on and off the field. He also was a gentleman who gave back to the community. Unlike Barry Bonds who was the ultimate *******. He always lost his temper and threatened fans, the media, and opposing players.

I will remember McGuire as one of the greatest homerun hitters of all time despite his falling a little short of the 600 homers milestone. He was special to watch. Unlike many of the cheaters who had to use p.e.d.s. just to compete.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
It's possible he was only on supplements that you could buy at GNC or Hi Health. You could also order stuff off the internet. I remember him being asked about the andro supplements in his locker. At the time, MLB had no ban on Andro so he answerd the questions honestly.

I agree that he never needed them whether he took them or not. This guy was a phenomenal talent and a joy to watch on and off the field. He also was a gentleman who gave back to the community. Unlike Barry Bonds who was the ultimate *******. He always lost his temper and threatened fans, the media, and opposing players.

I will remember McGuire as one of the greatest homerun hitters of all time despite his falling a little short of the 600 homers milestone. He was special to watch. Unlike many of the cheaters who had to use p.e.d.s. just to compete.

I was actually thinking of taking Andro back in the early 2000's. It was legal then. Andro wasn't illegal because it didn't turn into a steroid until it entered your body. Bush banned it. I don't know it's effectiveness compares to regular steroids but many people who have used it told me it gave very good strength and muscle mass increases. The best comparison I have for it is to deca-durabolin which is a mild but effective steroid for muscle mass. If McGwire was only using Andro and that's all we have evidence of then what's the problem? It was legal at the time.