Major Problem Facing Euro Boxers

BoxingFanUK

European boxers are today experiencing more levels of success than perhaps in any other time of boxing history. That is to be applauded and that is great news to hear!
smiley32.gif

However, as a lifelong boxing fan and supporter of European boxing, I notice 3 Major Problems that face European (and white American boxers, though this post will focus more on European).

One problem is that many times (too many, in fact) we have amazingly talented European amateur boxers who never turn pro. Guys like Islam Timurziev, Roman Romanchuk, Roberto Cammarelle, Alexey Tischenko (spelling?). These guys are all amazingly talented, and Camarelle and Tischenko were both Olympic Gold Medalists. However, these guys never turn to professional boxing and thus do not realize their full potential. Possible solutions to this exist with emphasizing pro boxing more so than amateur in Europe, as well as promoters reaching out to European boxers.

Its frustrating for me to see boxers like Tischenko & Camarelle not going pro, because they would undoubtedly be champions and be making a ton of money and recognition.

The second problem which faces European boxers is a lack of North American media coverage. Sadly, this is unlikely to change as for the most part North American media is reluctant to cover European boxers, even when they are exceptionally talented. Mind you, there coverage is more than adequate in Europe so it makes up for it
smiley1.gif

The third problem which faces European boxers is discrimination in officiating particularly when fighting in the USA or UK. Kotelnik/Alexander, Sturm/Oscar DLH, Taylor "leading" against Pavlik in the first fight on the cards before getting KO'd, Calzaghe SD over Hopkins (SD was ridiculous, Calzaghe won 9 rounds) are examples of this.

I enjoy supporting European boxing and European boxers, and as a supporter it is also important to bring up problems that are facing Euro boxers.

I feel problems 2 and 3 are somewhat unsolvable. However, Problem 1 is something which can be solved and it is something that should be addressed by European promoters.

Great work by Oscar De La Hoya as well, in his promotional outfit signing Denis Boytsov and Rakhim Chakhkiev and giving them Stateside exposure. So far they are handling Chakhkiev very well. However, Im not sure what effect Richard Schaefer will have.