Luke Kuechly

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I believe Deadlift first brought this young man to our attention last year, during his monster freshman campaign. Here were his stats. Kuechly ranked second in the country in total tackles (158) and solo stops (87). He had the most tackles by a BC defender since 1993. He recorded 10 or more tackles in the final nine games and led the Eagles in tackles in 12 of 13 games. He led BC in total tackles, solo tackles, assisted stops (71), tackles for a loss (13.0) and pass break ups (4).
This sky is the limit for this kid and I cannot wait to see him and Herzlich paired together at BC this year! Here's a great article from ESPN. http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/11390/bcs-kuechly-just-scratching-surface

Luke+Kuechly.jpg

whiteCB

Master
This guy is TORE it up last year! A sideline to sideline tackling machine and although he plays for a New England school don't be confused where he played his high school ball; OHIO! Another great white LB from the Buckeye state to follow in the footsteps of Mike Vrabel, AJ Hawk, Bobby Carpenter, and so on... Honestly though what a terrific TRUE Freshman season to have congrats Luke!

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
whiteCB said:
This guy is TORE it up last year! A sideline to sideline tackling machine and although he plays for a New England school don't be confused where he played his high school ball; OHIO! Another great white LB from the Buckeye state to follow in the footsteps of Mike Vrabel, AJ Hawk, Bobby Carpenter, and so on... Honestly though what a terrific TRUE Freshman season to have congrats Luke!

Glad to see you posting again WhiteCB!

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
It's amazing what a "3-star guy" can accomplish!

It's "funny" because our 2 & 3 "star" athletes routinely dominate when given an opportunity, and, at the same time, the media has to "constantly" explain why the 4 and 5 "star" affletes aren't living up to the hype...

We get noticeably less opportunities, but our QUALITY is really shouting out from the mountain-tops. Our athletes make me proud.

whiteCB

Master
celticdb15 said:
whiteCB said:
<div> </div>
<div>Glad to see you posting again WhiteCB! </div>

Thanks man. Yeah it's been awhile I've been busy with work and what not but have been keeping up with our favorite white football players, just not on here, as always.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
College Football Live talked about their "up-and-coming" linebackers yesterday... and they brought up 2 non-Whites (with less- than-half the production of Kuechly), and THEN they talked a little about Luke and the BC linebackers. FUNNY...

First was Manti Te'o (Notre Dame) and his 63 tackles. Then it was Vontaze Burfict (Arizona State) and his 61 tackles. Erik Kuselias really slobbered over the "powerful" Burfict, and they had an interview with him.

Then there's Luke, you know, with his paltry 142 tackles! haha! Huldon Tharp had 59 tackles last year, but no mention of him... Chris Borland had 54 tackles (36 solo), 5 sacks and 3 FFs -- but no mention of him... I'm confident that Huldon Tharp had less snaps than Vontaze Burfict, but he made the most of it.

For the record, Burfict and Te'o will probably have bigger seasons this year, but it might not be earth-shattering, especially considering how highly-rated they were. Burfict is chubby, and his lateral movement is NO WHERE near that of Kuechly. I surely hope that OUR athletes make ESPN look stupid again!!

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Deadlift said:
It's amazing what a "3-star guy" can accomplish!

It's "funny" because our 2 & 3 "star" athletes routinely dominate when given an opportunity, and, at the same time, the media has to "constantly" explain why the 4 and 5 "star" affletes aren't living up to the hype...

We get noticeably less opportunities, but our QUALITY is really shouting out from the mountain-tops. Our athletes make me proud.

It's coming to fruition...
smiley32.gif

Yesterday, Luke had 14 tackles (8 solo) and another INT. Double-digit tackles in EVERY game this season!

http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=480673

I'm so relieved that he's been healthy all season.. what a PHENOM.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
He's a stud and only 19!

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
...21 more tackles!!! Pure Dominance of the ACC!

I've been hoping for something like this for many years..

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
15 tackles (10 solo) against Virginia!! The NATURAL!!

He has over 300 career tackles now!

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
9 tackles (8 solo) against Syracuse.

DAMN.. his double-digit streak has been snapped! Still, one heck of a season for this athlete!
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

whiteCB

Master
Deadlift said:
15 tackles (10 solo) against Virginia!! The NATURAL!!

He has over 300 career tackles now!

Thats sick!! He's on pace, if he stays all 4 years, for over 600 career tackles!!! Has the 600 mark ever been reached??

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
<H1 =h2>Luke Kuechly's dressing up his game</H1>
<H1 =h2></H1>

jQuery.getScriptCache('http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/c/?js=espn.tools.r7.js', function() {
espn.core.init.tools('6256983','http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan%26id=6256983');
});

<CITE =source> By Ivan Maisel
ESPN.com
Archive </CITE>
<DIV style="OVERFLOW: ">

CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. -- There's a picture of linebacker Luke Kuechly on the table of contents of the 2010 Boston College media guide. He is in uniform. His hands are above his head, elbows bent at 90-degree angles. His upper arms are streamlined, bulgeless. It is a picture of Kuechly as a 220-pound freshman linebacker in 2009.

"He truly looked like Clark Kent when he first came here," defensive coordinator Billy McGovern said.

All he did that season was set an NCAA freshman record with 158 tackles. As a sophomore in 2010, Kuechly led the nation with 183 stops, 20 more than any other FBS player. He made every All-American team except for Dick Vitale's.

<DIV ="mod-inline -right">
<DIV style="WIDTH: 200px; MARGIN-LEFT: 10px">[+] Enlarge
<DIV style="WIDTH: 200px"><CITE>Mark Tureski/Icon SMI</CITE>Luke Kuechly led the nation with 183 tackles in 2010.

Fast forward to three days ago. Kuechly stood coiled in the middle of the Boston College defense at practice, gloved hands resting lightly on knees. His torso and upper legs formed a less-than sign as he scanned the Eagles offense before him. At 6-foot-3, 235 pounds, he is undersized no more.

"He has the half where he looks like an All-American in a uniform," Boston College coach Frank Spaziani said, a sly smile playing across his face. The other half, in which Kuechly plays like an All-American, has been there pretty much from the day he set foot on campus.

Spaziani wonders aloud whether Kuechly is from Cincinnati, which is where Boston College found him, or Krypton. After I spoke with Kuechly on Tuesday, Spaziani's first question to me was, "Find a flaw?"

Well, let's see. The best linebacker in the nation puts in the time to be the backup long snapper. He gets his defensive teammates together to watch video. When he met with McGovern after the season, Kuechly told him he wanted to learn what every player on the defense is supposed to do in every scheme. "I want to know what you know," Kuechly said.

Older teammates have teased him because his language needs to get in the weight room. Kuechly doesn't lift any expletive stronger than "geez." Guys like Mark Herzlich, the 2008 All-American who missed the 2009 season while fighting cancer, and free safety Wes Davis would come back to the huddle during the 2010 season and in exaggerated tones say, "Golly gee, Luke, I missed that tackle."

Kuechly doesn't touch fried foods or carbonated drinks and doesn't eat candy. When he came back late to the locker room after Boston College's loss to USC in the Emerald Bowl two years ago, he apologized to McGovern.

"They made me stay out there, Coach," Kuechly said.

"He got the Defensive MVP," McGovern continued. "He was trying to hide the trophy, like I caught him with something."

If he lives his life this well and his teammates don't hate him, there must be a leader in there somewhere.

"I get frustrated with myself very easily," Kuechly said. "I think things I want to be good at, I really push myself. I'm not going to make my bed perfectly every time. As much as my mom would want me to make it perfectly every time, if I got to get somewhere, I'm not going to make sure that pillow is just right. My toothbrush doesn't have to be in the same place every time. I'm not OCD about that stuff. When it comes to football, I want to be right on everything."

It's hard to imagine that Boston College could need more from him. But his play is not enough. On a 2011 defense so young they interrupt meetings for nap time, the Eagles need Kuechly to be out front. They need him to point fingers and get in the faces of his peach-fuzzed teammates. It may be the first time since he stepped onto a football field in fourth grade that he has been asked to do something on the field that doesn't come naturally to him.

"Leading by example is something I've always tried to pride myself on," Kuechly said. "Being a little more vocal is something that I need to work on. Sometimes you have to step outside your comfort level to take that next step."

Spaziani is watching Kuechly this spring, looking for the signs.

"I don't know where he is with that, as far as leading guys," he said. "That's stuff that you have and grow into. We certainly need it. You lead by example a lot. There are a lot of other aspects to it, like personality. There are a lot of great players who don't get elected captain."

Janet Costa Bates thinks Kuechly has it in him. Bates, an associate director in career counseling and education at Boston College, got a phone call from Kuechly earlier this year. He wanted to know if he could set up a meeting with her on how to build a résumé. And could he bring a few of his classmates?

"I have never had a student call before and ask for a workshop for him and his friends," Bates said, "athlete or no."

A few days later, Bates called and asked Kuechly for a favor. Clinton Kelly, Boston College '91, and the co-host of TLC's "What Not to Wear," was coming to campus to hold a seminar on how to dress for an interview. Would Kuechly be a guinea pig?

"I was like, geez, she was the greatest lady ever," Kuechly said. "I'm going to have to do this for her, even though I didn't want to do it. I tried to keep it under wraps."

That didn't work. Kuechly heard about it from his teammates. He got an earful from Kelly, too.

"He said, 'Pleated pants are bad,'" Kuechly said of Kelly. "He also said, 'Make sure your socks match your pants,' stupid stuff like that."

Flat-front pants are the rage. Kuechly wears them every Saturday in the fall. He's filling out a uniform better than he ever has. The question for the Eagles is about his footwear. It's whether he can fill a leader's shoes.