Luis Tsatoumas

freedom1

Mentor
I know it was posted under a Gillick thread, but I thought we should have a topic on this guy as he just popped a 28-5 long jump.

Luis Tsatoumas leaps to second on the European All Time Long Jump lists with massive 8.66m
02 June 2007
Greek European Indoor Long Jump silver medallist, Luis Tsatoumas, produced the performance of his lifetime at the European Athletics Permit Meeting today held in his home town of Kalamata, when he leapt to an incredible 8.66m.

As well as setting a Greek record, Tsatoumas leapt to 8th place on the world all time list and 2nd on the European all time list, behind the European record of 8.86m set by Robert Emmiyan 21 years ago.

Tsatoumas struck gold at the European Athletics Junior Championships in 2001 and again at the European Athletics U23 Championships in 2003 and aswell as silver at each of the last European and World Indoor Championships.

The Greek began the competition with 8.34m which equalled his career best in the first round. After two invalid jumps in the second and third rounds he set the record which aroused the spectators at Kalamata stadium. In a deep competition, Cuban Luiz Melis placed second with 8.20m, followed by Ukraine's Oleksyi Lukasevich who jumped 8.14m.

"I was feeling ready for a big performance today," Tsatoumas told Greek television after the end of the celebrations. "I was expected a national record with a jump around 8.40m, but this one is really amazing." Tsatoumas was also honoured as the best athlete of the meeting.

Ukraine's Irina Stanyeyva was the winner of the 100m with 11.32, just .01 seconds off of her personal best, and later she doubled back to win the 200m as well (23.71). Sweden's Jenny Kallur won the second 200m heat in 23.92.

Ireland's Paul Hession, below, also took a sprint double, clocking a new Irish record of 10.28 and 20.67.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Luis has got me interested in the long jump again.This was a phenomenal jump.The really crazy thing is that he just missed a 8.80 meters jump barely with a foul.That would have put him in an even smaller list and close to the world record.

I've always wondered if anyone can ever humanly possible jump 9.0 meters.Maybe Tsatoumas might approach that someday.Congrats on what might just be the long jump of the year.
smiley32.gif

Now he is the front runner for the gold with saladino (black/Panama) in the worlds this year.

He has a long way to go before he can surpass Emmiyan(Armenian/USSR). I think he can do it.

The all-time short list of long jumpers:

robort emmiyman ussr

lutz dombrowski east germany

gay-one us *******

mike powell us *******

white is right

Hall of Famer
yuri malenkov said:
Now he is the front runner for the gold with saladino (black/Panama) in the worlds this year.

He has a long way to go before he can surpass Emmiyan(Armenian/USSR). I think he can do it.

The all-time short list of long jumpers:

robort emmiyman ussr

lutz dombrowski east germany

gay-one us *******

mike powell us *******
Gay one who's that?
smiley36.gif
Also Emmiyan jumped further than Dombrowski.

freedom1

Mentor
Yeah, Emmiyan hit an 8.86 at altitude that translates into a 29.1.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Luis jumped 8.54 today in Greece.He is showing incredible form.I just hope he can maintain this kind of form in August at the World Championships.