Lucian Bute (Euro) versus Jean Pascal (Afro)

Ambrose

Master
Perez who beat Mago fought in the prelim. I say he lost and that Mago beat some of the life out of him. It was called a draw. Takam, for black heavyweight threw a lot of punches in the 2nd half. I say he is carry around 15 to 20 lbs too much. If he lost them he could be a lot more explosive.

Perez LOST that fight. Takam mauled him for the last half, wobbled him 4 times, and nearly had him out once. Scam judging: when the points are even by round count, something tangible like effectiveness of punches is the next criteria.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
In the under card, Canadian light heavy Gardiner lost a unanimous but close decision...

One of the crooked judges scored it 99-91 for the obnoxious Colombian negro. It could have been a draw. The negro was the only won who was hurt.

Westside

Hall of Famer
I've been reading many boxing sites like Boxrec.com, Boxingscene.com, and Eastsideboxing.com, and it seems like the "majority opinion" has Pascal as a slight favourite to win the fight. Most boxing fans are picking Pascal to win, but it's close, and many are picking a Bute decision win. It seems like it's about a 60-40 split in favour of Pascal.

What's interesting is that a lot of people on boxing sites are predicting a Pascal KO win.

The truth is, in the past 7 years (since 2007), Pascal has only scored 3 KO wins. Pascal, over his career, only has a 54% KO ratio (compared to Bute and-or Froch which are both around 75%).

It seems strange to me that many people are picking Pascal to win by KO. His record would suggest he is not a hard hitter at all, and quite frankly, I`ve seen many of his fights and he`s never really knocked a guy out with one punch. Carl Froch was able to hurt Bute, but Froch has a much higher KO ratio than Pascal and Froch is also known earlier in his career as carrying KO power.

I think a more likely result is a Bute decision win, or a Pascal decision win. I don`t see Pascal KOing Bute. He doesn`t hit hard enough.
BS2, where are you watching the fight at? If it is in a bar in Canada describe the atmosphere there. Thanks

Westside

Hall of Famer
Looking like Froch ruined Bute. He looks tentative and unsure.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Bute needs a KO

Westside

Hall of Famer
Bute went out like a champ. Damn, almost got the KO. If he would have just uncorked a vicious left upper cut on Pascal, he could have got the KO or at least the knock down.

Ambrose

Master
I had the bout a draw or a point for Bute. Pascal sucks. Bute fought gun shy for most of the fight and didn't let his hands go. Bute lost to an inferior fighter because he doesn't have "it" mentally.

"It"= self-confidence, assurance in one's abilities.

Ambrose

Master
Let these pretenders Stevenson/Pascal/Alvarez have a party tonight. Won't last long. Here at Caste we know who the champion really is: Kovalev. And none of these are the worthy of the challenge. Kovalev's real challenge is going to come from Beterbiev. And the lights will go out in Montreal or Quebec.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Lucian Bute lost a close fight, I had it 115-113 for Pascal. Lederman's scorecard was ridiculously wide.

Bute was hesitant but Pascal wasn't doing much either, he was just standing there much of the time. When Bute started to "turn it up" Pascal got him with a deliberate headbutt.

And Kellerman's bias against Bute was evident in his hateful and negative commentary, calling him in as many words a fraud while praising Pascal throughout the fight.

Last edited:
Just finished watching the fight.

Before the fight I predicted a Bute decision win, and I was wrong, but not by much. The fight was competitive, went the distance, and in fact Sky Sports had Bute winning. Personally, I wasn't scoring the fight but I thought it was very close and perhaps a draw or a one point win either way. Also, I predicted that Pascal would be unable to KO Bute because he doesn't hit hard enough and I was proven correct there.

My thoughts on the fight:

- First of all, I think Lucian Bute should retire, and this was not a good performance from him. I know this is a site supporting white and European boxers, and I'm not trying to be overly negative. But it's actually sad watching how much Lucian has deteriorated from the fighter he used to be 3 to 5 years ago. There is no power, snap, or speed on Lucian's punches whatsoever. 3 or 5 years ago, he was knocking guys out left right and center with single shots. All that explosive power is gone and there's literally nothing on his shots since the Froch fight. Towards the end of the fight, Pascal was lying on the ropes and Bute was hitting him at will. 3 or 5 years ago, Bute would have knocked Pascal out with those shots. Bute used to be a tremendous puncher and it seems like that's all gone now. Nothing on his shots.

- This was a close fight that could have went either way. Predictably, the judges seemingly gave all the close rounds in the fight to the Negro. USA has the worst judging, but Canada and the UK would be a close 2nd and 3rd.

- Russ Anber is such an annoying boxing personality and I honestly can't stand him. Figures that he would latch on to Jean Pascal. This guy is the epitome of a self-hating white. He reminds me of Max Kellerman but the Canadian trainer version.

All in all it is a disappointing night. I was hoping Lucian would win, but you know, if he won it would just set him up in a fight with Kovalev or Stevenson (and to be honest I think both of them would KO Bute), so maybe it's better that he didn't win.

Lucian is a great guy, and one of my favourite fighters, and he's made a lot of money in boxing so I hope he just retires and lives off his earnings. He's done well in boxing and made enough money to probably live the rest of his life comfortably. Unfortunately I think Bute is all but a shot fighter at this point. Pascal, fights good in spurts, but I don't think he beats any of the top 175ers.

Last edited:

Ambrose

Master
I agree B.Spec., Bute should quit. "Winning" today would of set him up for a humiliating slaughter against Kovalev.

BTW, he's lost his power as he won't put his body behind his punches now because he wants to be able to jump backwards out of range from a counter.

Ambrose

Master
Lucian Bute lost a close fight, I had it 115-113 for Pascal. Lederman's scorecard was ridiculously wide.

Bute was hesitant but Pascal wasn't doing much either, he was just standing there much of the time. When Bute started to "turn it up" Pascal got him with a deliberate headbutt.

And Kellerman's bias against Bute was evident in his hateful and negative commentary, calling him in as many words a fraud while praising Pascal throughout the fight.

These announcers can praise him all they want. Won't do them any good. Praise can't help him. He's doomed.

Ambrose

Master
B. Spec. wrote:

"Russ Anber is such an annoying boxing personality and I honestly can't stand him. Figures that he would latch on to Jean Pascal. This guy is the epitome of a self-hating white. He reminds me of Max Kellerman but the Canadian trainer version."

Russ is thick with these guys. He's an *******. And a poor trainer.

BS2, where are you watching the fight at? If it is in a bar in Canada describe the atmosphere there. Thanks

Hey Westside, I ended up staying home and watching the fight on a stream. I watched the British feed, Sky Sports, where they had Bute winning 115-114.

I usually go to bars to watch if there's a big fight, or sometimes I stay home and watch HBO. I have HBO on my television at home and I also have HBO on my tablet and mobile phone, so I can watch fights even if I'm not at home.

Bute vs Pascal fight was shown on HBO, but because it is a Canadian fight, they black it out for Canadian HBO viewers, so unfortunately my HBO did not carry the fight because I'm Canadian. It retailed here in Canada at a price of $64.99, whereas in the USA the fight is free (with an HBO subscription).

I agree B.Spec., Bute should quit. "Winning" today would of set him up for a humiliating slaughter against Kovalev.

BTW, he's lost his power as he won't put his body behind his punches now because he wants to be able to jump backwards out of range from a counter.

Yes, I think retirement is the best choice for Lucian.

He's not fighting as good as he used to, and he's getting hit more than he used to. Lucian has made a lot of money in boxing (he's had atleast 5 or 6 multi million dollar purses), and at this point he's just risking his health by continuing boxing. I think it would be in his best interest to walk away now.

I read a press release from Lucian today where he said "he didn't know why he didn't let his hands go". I was thinking the exact same thing watching the fight last night. Bute just had no offensive output. He wasn't throwing enough and when he was throwing and landing, like in the last 3 rounds, there wasn't anything on his punches.

Bute used to be a prolific puncher, and he knocked many decent boxers out often times with one shot. Those shots he was landing in the last 3 rounds against Pascal, should have dropped him, but it seems Bute's shots don't have anything on them like they used to. Overall, it just seems like he's burned out to be honest.

Pascal, as I predicted was tired out and gassed out in the last 4 rounds of the fight. Because of all the muscle he carries, he can only throw 30 or so punches a round and tends to tire out in the last half of the fight as always.

This really was a winnable fight for Lucian, and I think the Lucian of 3 or 5 years ago would have won by TKO. Lucian used to be an offensively gifted fighter but the power, speed, snap, and volume in his punches seems to have disappeared.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Actually, the only one that impressed me out of the whole lot last night was Andy Gardner. I thought he should have gotten at least a draw. The idiot and/or crooked (probably both, like most of them) female judgette, Marie-Josee Guerin , scored it 99-91 for the obnoxious Colombian negro. Gardner has another fight scheduled in just two months.

Last edited:
Here's a great article on the Bute VS Pascal fight, it shares much of the opinion and perspective I have on the fight (the fight should have happened back in 2010 or so), and it's worth a read if you have the time;

http://www.boxingscene.com/fighting-words-pascal-bute-too-late-not-too-good--73808

"Pascal-Bute: Too late & not too good" by David Greisman

I've spent about 10 years watching Lucian's fights, and I'm also fairly well versed on Pascal. It was frustrating for me watching the fight. Bute just couldn't pull the trigger, would not let his hands go, and when he did he didn't have power in the shots.

Bute did start letting his hands go in the last 3 rounds, and I thought he won all 3 rounds, he managed to hurt and get Pascal in trouble in round 12, had this fight happened 2, 3, or 4 years ago, Bute would have finished Pascal in that situation and won by KO.

Bute's trainer was angry at Lucian and I can understand why. Lucian really should have won this fight (possibly by stoppage) if he would have just let his hands go more often. Before the fight I predicted a Bute W 12 result, and that almost happened, it would have happened if Bute would have been more active in the mid rounds.

That being said, Lucian has had a great career and the truth is most boxers go out on losses. If he would have won it would have set him up in a rematch VS Froch, or Kovalev, or Stevenson and I dont think those fights would have went well for him.

I'll always be a Lucian fan, but it's time to be honest that his best days are behind him.

Last edited: