Live links for up and coming track meets.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here is where I will post some live links to watch some track this weekend. We have the German Championships, and the Aviva Indoor Meet with some of the best sprinters from England and around the world. I will post links for this weekend as soon as possible. We can also use this thread for other meets. Especially as we get into the summer season. If anyone else finds additional links to good track meets, please feel free to add them. Thanks. Enjoy gentlemen!
smiley17.gif
Edited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here is the link for the 2010 Aviva Birmingham Indoor Meet this Saturday. Craig Pickerng, Nick Smith, Simon Collio and many others are going to be competing.

http://bit.ly/dfTjwjEdited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Well the meet is over in England. David Gillick tied his own Irish Record in the 400 meters. Richard Buck had a huge seasons bes time as well.

In the 60 meters, Nick Smith of Scottland beat all of the other sprinters from the UK. He ran two new personal best times. Nick ran a 6.65 to qualify and ran a time of 6.60 in the final. He finished 3rd but beat MLF, Harry A.A., and C.Pickering.

Here are the results of the final. Congrats to the Scottish Comet Nick Smith!

15:15 - 60 METRES - Men - Final OFFICIAL RESULTS

1 Michael RODGERS USA 6.57 0.161

2 Daniel BAILEY ANT 6.59 0.136

3 Nick SMITH GBR 6.60 0.168 PB

4 Mark LEWIS-FRANCIS GBR 6.61 0.122

5 Harry AIKINES ARYEETEY GBR 6.62 0.158

6 Mark JELKS USA 6.68 0.166

7 Craig PICKERING GBR 6.71 0.169

8 Nesta CARTER JAM 6.77 0.174

Flash

was watching bits of it today, smith and gillick both very impressive. Seemed like another slow start from craig, but when you see the last 15m or so in the race his top end speed is looking very nice so should be interesting over 100m, he will definetly need to come out faster if he wants to break 10 though.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Every race Craig gets a slow start. That is a major problem. His closing speed is good, but not good enough that he can give away the starts of his race against top level competition. Craig has always had this problem, and it's very discouraging that it continues. When he was a junior, he could run down the competition with his raw closing speed. But at the senior level, his top end speed isn't enough to make up for his habitually slow starts and poor form. I think Craig will always be a very good sprinter, but I don't think he is going to improve much, if at all. We'll have to wait until this summer to know for sure.

Flash

i think he can improve alot still, surely theres got to be someway for him to sort that problem out? What would even cause it? Is it mainly just concentric strength at this stage of the race?

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
You would think.
But it always been a problem for him. If you look back through the very long Craig Pickering thread, you will see that after every race, the comments say, 'Craig a bad start, but . . ." or "if Craig would have had a better start . . "
I don't know why this problem continues.
Another big problem for him is his poor form. He crosses his arms in front of his body when running, as opposed to swing them along side his body.This is basic sprinting mechanics. Any coach knows this - any sprinter does too. So I don't know how it's persisted for so long.It makes me wonder about his coach.
Edited by: jacknyc

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
David Gillick of Ireland won the 400m at the same meet today in England.
His time of 45.52 is a new national record, and a great time for an indoor meet!
Hopefully we can look forward to a sub-45 time from him this summer.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here is the 60 meters final with Pickering and Nick Smith. I have to admit that Craig looked awful. Talking about being glued to the starting blocks. He needs to get his head straight. I'm really suprised at how he struggles to hear the gun or react to it. There is no excuse for this. His coach needs to fix it fast. Let need to just focus on outdoors anyway.

Nick Smith did look good. He had a great start but he needs a little more speed endurance. Congrats on his new Scottish Record in the 60 meters!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E6SebqohBsEdited by: white lightning

Flash

Do you think he possibly 'psychs' himself out at the start? He always looks super agressive and tense, maybe its too much?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I agree Flash. That is it. He gets so angry and mad that he does not concentrate like he should. Craig is in a hostile environment and he is doing the best that he can do. I feel however like you that he is just too wound up. It not only messes up his start but must mess with his c.n.s. Craig needs to just relax and go race. He is as talented as anyone on the line minus the top three in the world. Craig can be as good as he wants if he just reckonizes that he belongs. Relax and just do your thing. I wish I had his talent.

Hang in there Craig. It's all about the summer. Be confident and you will succeed. You have to dream it(visualize)before you acheive it!

trackster

Mentor
Some observations:

1) The Irishman Gillick was sensational. That was just his first race of the season, and yet he finished with the second best time of the season and beat the second place finisher by a full 3/4's of a second--a lifetime in the 400.
2) Watched the 60 video. Dare I say that Pickering looks soft? The Caribbean sprinters looked so juiced it's a wonder they don't just quit sprinting for bodybuilding. But Pickering looked softer than in the past. That may be the real reason his performance is suffering.
3) That was one hell of a field pushing one another, and yet they still couldn't match the time LeMaitre produced running off all by himself with sore adductors and after a hard week of training with no rest. LeMaitre is the Chosen One. And in one of those French articles, he was expressing his confidence in breaking 10 this year. If only he could score a high profile win. Beating Bolt may be unthinkable, but that's got to be the dream. A tall, blonde, French teenager--he could be bigger than Beckham and inspire an entire generation of sprinters, if they could just set aside their x-boxes and playstations long enough to get out and run.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I agree with everything you said. I can see Gillick dropping some more 44 second quarters this year.

Pickering has alot of work to do and it's not just physical. He is probably a little heavy at the moment but I'm more worried about his mental state. Craig has lost his swagger and confidence. I hope that he can regain his form of a few years ago by the summer time.

Lemaitre is just amazing. This weekend will be a great chance for him to try and stay in the 6.50's range in the finals as the French Nat'l Champs should be special. I think he can still go alot faster over the 200 if healthy as he needs to run the turn harder. Good luck to Pepe this weekend! He one of the most exciting sprinters in the world already. People will know his name very soon if they don't know it already! Again I just want him to go sub 10 as soon as possible so then he can concentrate on the next goals of 9.95 and the 9.90 & so forth. It's all about progression! The key to him going sub 10 consistantly is to have a good start the majority of the time.

This weekend is the German Indoor National Championships in Karlsrue, Germany. I am just as excited to watch this meet. The 60 and 200 meters will be highly contested by some of the best Germany Sprinters. I will keep a really close eye on Christian Blum, Tobias Unger, Julian Reuss and Robert Herring! It should be exciting. Edited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I tried to find the French Champs but had no luck. To make it up to you guys, in about 2 hours the Barcelona Meet starts on the same track where the European Champs are in around 3 weeks. So I hope you guys enjoy the meet.

Friday the show moves to Barcelona, an opportunity to see how quick this track is before the European Championships http://myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=80439&part=sports first event starts shortly after 1830 with streams appearing on the link from 1330 BST.

mastermulti

Master
I'll be up twiddling the dial to the (sigh) 15,000 channels I can get on my digital radio.
I wonder if BBC3 radio will broadcast what BBC3 TV does?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
What not watch it on your computer? You only need high speed internet. That is why I posted the link. Anyone in the world can watch it as long as they have high speed internet. Other than that, universalsports.com will have it but you have to pay for that one or just listen to it on the radio.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I just want to bump this thread back towards the top. We are only around 10 hours till the track meet in Paris starts. You guys have the link I posted above.

trackster

Mentor
What time do the races start? If I get the opportunity, I'll probably try to watch it on Universal.