Lebedev vs G Jones & Povetkin vs Wawrzyk

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
The boxing event in Moscow on Friday May 17 will feature two WBA title fights. It will be starting early here in North America (possibly as early as 9 AM Pacific and 12 noon Eastern time).

It will be telecast by BoxNation and Russia 2 (as well as by TV networks in several other countries) so there will be both English-language and Russian-language streams.

http://boxrec.com/show_display.php?show_id=666198

Other good Russian boxers fighting on this card include middleweight Dmitry Chudinov who will be fighting African-American Grady Brewer, and lightweight Eduard Troyanovsky who will be in with Columbian Luis Zambano.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Carcharias, I will be get home from work on Friday at about 4:10 pm Eastern time. Do you think I'll be able to see Povetkin and Lebedev or will those fights be over?
Nearing the end of the last fight or possibly over.

I'll post videos when I find them.

Denis Lebedev, along with Wladimir Klitschko, Gennady Golovkin, and Lucas Matthysse is probably the biggest puncher in the sport, at any weight class. His punching power is phenomenal. His knockout of Roy Jones in 2011 was one of the worst knockouts Ive ever seen in over 15 years watching this sport. Just absolutely brutal. A little bit too brutal and its actually uncomfortable to watch. The ref was a bit late to stop that fight and as a result, Roy went down very hard. Lebedev`s knockouts over Alekseev, Silgado, and Cox were all also particularly impressive.

When we talk about "big punchers" and "knockout artists", Lebedev is quite possibly the #1 knockout artist of today on my list. A few years ago it would have been Art Abraham (who had some sensational KO's over guys like Taylor, Miranda, Gevor). Wladimir Klitschko also has had some big KO wins, and of course in years past there was guys like Kelly Pavlik and Lucian Bute who were known as producing a lot of KO wins.

Guillermo Jones has been around boxing a long time (I can remember him fighting back in the early 2000`s) and he has some world class skills. He is age 41, though, so you expect he may be starting to slow down just a bit. Then again, some fighters can keep fighting good well into their 40`s, just depends on the individual. He hasn`t lost a fight since 2005, he`s very tall and hits hard. He will make for a good opponent for Lebedev.

I`m expecting a great fight, and a stoppage win would be an amazing result for Lebedev!

Prediction: Lebedev Win, by either late round stoppage or wide decision

Last edited:

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Nearing the end of the last fight or possibly over.

I'll post videos when I find them.

I really want to see the caste matchup of Lebedev vs. Jones live. Lebedev should pull out the win despite being the shorter guy. He's very talented. May try to stream it off my phone.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
John Rawlings of BoxNation is one of the worst commentators. He sounds like he's infatuated with Negro boxers and is extremely negative toward non-British white fighters.

I've switched back to a Russian stream.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
When? They're still gabbing. They're dragging this out...
The long break was caused by the early KOs on the undercard. They have to start the main events at the scheduled TV times they advertised.

Starting now on Russia 2.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
W looks like nothing - and I saw he had a spare tire around his middle when he showed up.

white is right

Hall of Famer
W looks like nothing - and I saw he had a spare tire around his middle when he showed up.
Povetkin's entrance music sounds like a medieval Russian warrior who is getting ready to fight Mongol invaders on the Russian Steppes.......:scared:

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Povetkin's entrance music sounds like a medieval Russian warrior who is getting ready to fight Mongol invaders on the Russian Steppes.......:scared:

Wasn't that great? Compare that with the effeminate and degenerate junk you see here - some grotesque negress wailing out the USSA anthem like a rap song.

PS I wrote that comment above before W got KO'd. What a mismatch. Unfortunately now for Povetkin he's going to have to fight a K.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Povetkin looked very sharp, and he's in excellent shape now.

Teddy nearly ruined him, but Kostya Tszyu has him back to top form.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
I completely wrote Povetkin off when he went with Atlas. That was too weird.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
The English announcers are praying the ref stops the fight due to Leb's eye. But our man is pounding away on Jones and may be about the stop him.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Damn! Led gets stopped by the ref in the 11th. Gotta figure he was ahead on the cards.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Damn! Led gets stopped by the ref in the 11th. Gotta figure he was ahead on the cards.
I was a suprised that Lebedev's corner didn't pull him out earlier. The eye was a total mess and could have a serious injury after the damage. The win by Jones could set back the image of boxers back to the days of Tony Tubbs and Tim Witherspoon. Maybe Jones could endorse male support for moobs? Otherwise this was a quality brawl though.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Lebedev was very brave, but he had trouble with the Negro's height and freakishly long arms.