Last White Sprinting Thresholds

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Isn't interesting though, that Rutherford and Benjamin, who both had sprinter's speed as teenagers, were moved along into other events?
I'm not saying they would have been world record holders, but who knows how well they might have done in the 100m if they continued at it.
This is the caste system at work - it's racial profiling. You're fast, but you're white....hmmm, let's move you up to the 400m or the long jump....

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Technically speaking Kostas Kenteris is not a "drug cheat". He is a drug test avoider. He has never been found guilty of using a banned substance. While that may be a cheap defense it's better then the defense put up by many black sprinters who HAVE failed tests and still run. Amnyway I say HA HA, it just shows that if a white guy cheats he can win too. That's what it's all about in major sprinting. Personally I wish some white guy (not one of the top young white sprinters) would cheat his ass off and break the 10 sec barrier because cheating often has little consequenses. Carl Lewis was doped to the gills and everyone still thinks he was a great sprinter/jumper which is BS.

From wikipedia:
the missed test in Athens was (his) third violation of the summer and he was consequently suspended by the IAAF on 22 December 2004. In June 2005, however, the athletes were cleared of all charges by the Greek athletics federation. Their coach Christos Tzekos was blamed for the missed tests and suspended for four years, but was cleared on separate allegations of distributing banned substances. After a long legal battle, on June 26, 2006, prior to a final ruling by the Court of Arbitration for Sport, the athletes reached an out of court settlement with the IAAF accepting anti-doping rule violations of 3 missed tests between 27 July and 12 August 2004 (in breach of Rule 32.2(d)) and a failure to provide a urine and a blood sample on 12 August 2004 (in breach of Rule 32.2(c)). In return, the more serious charges against them, those of evasion and refusal to provide a sample, were dropped. They have been eligible to compete since 22 December 2006. However, both still face criminal charges for making false statements to authorities; the pair will go on trial in November 2009.[1]

Observer

Mentor
charlie180 said:
For comparison, Dwain Chambers PB at 18 was 10.41s. Williamson's aged 18 was 10.42s. Edgar's was 10.39s. Aryteey's was 10.37s. James Dasaolu's was 10.75s, I think you get the picture. Maybe it is because whites peak earlier? Or just a sure fire bet that blacks will go on to do better?

...and Asafa Powell's best time as an 18-year old was 10.8.

Speaking of "maturity" in a physiological sense, whites mature later than equatorial people, and also live longer. Physiologically, for instance, Jeremy Wariner is only something like 39 days older than Usain Bolt (if it is proper to apply averages to particular invidividual cases - of course it's not, but it can be illustrative).

However "sprint maturity" is not necessarily the same thing as "physiological maturity". Voluminous athletic training in the white physiology builds strength, speed, and endurance. The west African simply doesn't build endurance very well, which leaves more resources for the other subsystems of strength and speed to increase. Throw drugs into the equation to compensate for the lack of stamina and recovery, and now you have created a sprinting star.

Intelligent plyometric methods can perhaps enable the white athlete to build speed and strength without wasting physiological resources on also building endurance. Yes, being able to adjust to the rigors of training by building endurance is a good thing almost always, but perhaps not in the short sprints.

After watching Lemaitre (literally, "The Master" -- I like that better than "Pepe") run 10.04 with no wind and perhaps still favoring one side a little (watching him bob during the race and then also the way he walked after the race, I thought it looked like he might still be feeling that groin injury a bit) and with a tall boy's insufficient strength to have a real drive phase -- literally, I thought the timing must have been wrong. He can run faster, much faster, and still has enormous room to grow and fill out.

Put him on dope and give him some intelligent training methods appropriate to the white physiology, and he runs a 9.5. Not that such would be a good thing, but realistically this is the range that he could be running if he were to follow the Ben Johnson training school.

Bolt does not have Christophe's talent at a comparable physiological age. When Bolt ran those world records last year, he had already been at his full height for about 7 years (one article on IAAF said he was 6'5 at 15, another implied something else).

Does anyone know long ago it was that Christophe reached basically his current height?

And even without maturity or dope or advanced training methods, we might see Guliyev go deep into the Worlds this year. After seeing that 20.04 he ran, I don't think it's overly optimistic to hope to seem him break into the 19.7 range this year. That would be within striking distance of a world record prior to 1996 -- all from a 19-year old from a country without a rich track athletics background. Probably with rounds and such, it is not realistic, but in a one-shot competition in the right venue, yes.

Lemaitre and Guliyev in my opinion are the greatest young talents since Bolt as a 17-year old. But they have more room to grow than Bolt, who had plateaued several years before he "got serious". Tyson Gay was a very good college talent who anyone could see would run much faster once he put on some muscle (which he has), but he cannot compare then with what these 19-year old kids are doing right now.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Excellent post. The sky is the limit. The Master is also another good nickname. He deserves everyone of them. The kid is amazing. He needs to get the walk down after he wins like Guliyev. Ramil has a little bit of a strut. He just looks cool whether he is running or walking. Christophe just kind of looks shy as he walks gingerly. No problem. It makes us love him even more but I'm sure as he continues to win races, he will get his own little victory stride as well. These guys are going to give the guys like Brutal, Charlie and Jon Entine, many sleepless nights. Not to mention alot of fans and sprinters who will be extremly jealous of them. Don't be suprised if some people will go to any length to stop them. I hope I'm wrong but I have seen first hand how Craig has been dealt with and it's disgusting the hatred he deals with!

albinosprint

Mentor
Observer you hit the nail on the head, great post!

Observer

Mentor
albino, just wondering how the preparation for your 100m "one-last-time" race is coming along?

Observer

Mentor
jacknyc said:
Isn't interesting though, that Rutherford and Benjamin, who both had sprinter's speed as teenagers, were moved along into other events?
I'm not saying they would have been world record holders, but who knows how well they might have done in the 100m if they continued at it.
This is the caste system at work - it's racial profiling. You're fast, but you're white....hmmm, let's move you up to the 400m or the long jump....
Yes, and prior to Warner, Rock, and Benjamin, the good 100m kid would have probably eventually ended up at the 800 rather than the 400, at lest in the USA. What I'd like to do is sponsor a high school track meet, call it the "Jeremy Wariner Classic" or some such thing, and hand out reward mugs with emblazoned photos of Lemaitre, Guliyev, and Wariner (and also a composite pic of the 4 men -- all Caucasians -- who ran sub-44 legs in the last Olympics). For good measure, maybe "Drug Free" could be printed on the mugs as well.

If there was some kind of effort to promote young white (a) 400 meter runners, and (b) decathletes, then perhaps these bridghead would give the white kids a foothold and the confidence to move down to the shorter sprints (as well as upward if their talents lie in that direction). As for the decathlon, white kids, boys specifically, need to think of themselves as athletic, if for no other reason than that this seems to bring a kind of confidence that helps later in life and helps society survive. It just does not seem to be good for society -- whether that society be white, black, or brown -- when the boys do not have a physical ideal of manliness.

albinosprint

Mentor
its going well, though more people are trying to get in on the race. as of right now it's going to be a 3 man race with a possible 4th joining in. it's not going to be till next July so I'm slowly get back into it. as of right now I'm just doing long distance and hitting the weights to burn off the fat. I'm not going to start sprint work till early spring.