Lack of scorring

mattharper

Guru
Has anyone noticed that goaltenders nowadays look about 30 percent bigger than they did 25 years ago? I looked at scorring averages from the 1991-1992 NHL season and every team had more goals then the highest scorring team of this year. Those goalie pads are just huge. Either widen the ice, make the goals bigger or reduce the size of goalie pads. What does everyone else think?

Matra1

Mentor
It's the extra padding and baggier clothing that's causing this. The NHL should've done something about it in the 90s but now everyone thinks it's normal. Watch old clips from the 70s to see the difference.

Wider and longer ice surface - the way it is in Europe - would also be better, as more ice space means less clutching and grabbing, more passing and skill in general. I was watching the World Championships over the last week from Slovakia (OT Finland won the gold) and was thinking how the sport is aesthetically better on the big ice. They needed to do take action on thist when the new arenas were being built but now it is too late. As usual the NHL said everything was just dandy the way it was.Edited by: Matra1

C Darwin

Mentor
the new goalie pads allow for a fortress to be built in a butterfly position. it's a technology that allows for no 'mouse holes'. this is a huge advantage over the old style puff pads.

mattharper

Guru
I mean this isint a new phenomenon but when a player skates up the right or left wing all the goalie has to do is hug the post and not moveand the shot will never get through. I heard a while back the owners wanted to change the pad sized and the Players Union stepped in saying it would promote danger toward the goalies. Right. It wasnt to long ago when goalies didint ever wear the throat protecters. I would love to see the days of 200 point scorers again.