Kyle Turley

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Kyle Turley is treated like Bill Romanowski lite by the media. He was released by the Rams today after failing a physical and the headline refers to him as "controversial":

[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/06/08/bc. fbn.rams.turley.ap/index.html[/url]

Well, let's see, he stood up for his teammate in a nationally televised game, Aaron Brooks, when Brooks was being mauled by a member of the Jets defense. He should have been lauded for that as a great exemplar of ebony and ivory harmony. But in the aftermath he threw his helmet, a very un-white behavior which cost his team a damaging penalty, and ever since he has been vilified more than any white football player this side of Romanowski.

Mike Martz claims that Turley threatened his life during an argument last year but later backed off from that statement. I've read what I can about Turley and he is basically a free spirit, a blond man with tattoos who likes to lift weights and pursue various interests, sort of the "biker type" personality that J. B. Cash has noted is about the only acceptable"macho" kind of appearance left open to white athletesthese days.

I think most of the animus toward Turley is because he is unacceptably extroverted and independent and a little "too blond". He's a Mormon, I don't think he even drinks. I'll bet his character is better than that of at least two-thirds of the players in the league if you get my drift.

surfsider

Guru
I've always thought Turley a bit of a wahoo but certainly not a brutish thug. The guy throws his helmet(up, not at someone) in the heat of the moment and HE'S the pariah of the league. Yeesh! It galls me to no end that whenever a brother gets into a "situation", a huge support party breaks out. The obligatory, "well, he's made some mistakes" and "we're just concerned about him getting his life straight" blah...blah...I'm so sick of references to criminality being euphemized as "mistakes" or "bad judgment". Turley's antics can be called that, not Ray Lewis's motorcade of death.

How about these two opening sentences from Adam Schefter, who has come out of nowhere of late to become a ubiquitous presence on the NFL Network and NFL.com: "This offseason has been a pricey one for former University of Miami teammates Sean Taylor and Kellen Winslow. Each has put his bonuses in serious question for questionable behavior."

Let's see now. Kyle Turley, who threw his helmet and got in a heated private argument with his coach after the coach questioned his integrity, is "controversial," while Sean Taylor who fired gunshots at people is merely "questionable." Not much difference between the two in the eyes of the media is there?

kevin

Guru
kyle turley is still in my opion one of the most underrated tackles in the game. he isn't a good left tackle because he doesn't have the feet, but he is a good right tackle because he can plow just about anyone over. I seen him destroy micheal strahan a few times.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Unless something changes drastically, all you'll ever see is excuses, excuses for black players and instant ridicule and punishment for white players. But I guess that's how it should be because whites are to blame for everything blacks do wrong, you know, because of past injustices. Unless this false ideology is changed, along with a few other things, I don't think we will see any fairness when it comes to reporting about whites in sports.

whiteCB

Master
Turley was actually considered cool enough to be a guest host on the Best Damn Sports Show Period. And to be white and be a guest host on that crappy show you have to be "really cool". One of the few ways to be considered a cool white athlete is to be a "biker" and have some tattoos.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
What exactly is the perception of a biker? A misfit, a rebel, a deviant? Why do these characterizations make a white guy look COOL? Am I off base here?

CountryBoy

Hey,

I am new here! Anyway I have not yet read the article but I heard that Kyle Turley had dropped a lot of weight before the Rams released him. Is this true?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
He's down to 235 pounds, from 310 previously and wants to play fullback or tight end. Maybe someone will give him a shot, but since he's so "controversial" and all. . .

The weight loss is mentioned in the article linked to above in this thread.

Sharpie97

Turley, 28, has made it clear he does not plan to retire. He will continue his rehabilitation and hopes to resume his career at some point, even if it means changing positions. A few months ago, Turley suggested he might come back as a defensive end, a position where he would not need as much weight, and which would submit his balky back to less strain.

I think this is a good move, considering Turley's high octane moter. God be with him.Edited by: Sharpie97

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Ha you said "high octane motor" media white guy PC speak #31 for quickness/agility.
smiley2.gif

whiteCB

Master
Colonel Reb just like black guys want to be thug rappers riding around in Escalades; white guys want to be hard rocking, Harley Davidson ridin, beer drinking bad asses. That's just how people perceive whether your a bad ass in your perspective race or not. Just how it wouldn't look right for a white athlete to wear shorts down to his ankles and panty hose on his head; it wouldn't look right for a black guy to ride a chopper and wear a leather jacket.