Klitshcko - Brewster PBP

dkr77

Guru
"And, historically speaking, a 6'7, 244 pound man who can move and fight like Wlad would have many advantages over a 5'11, 190lb Rocky Marciano and 6'2, 210lb Muhammed Ali and Joe Louis."

I don't consider Marciano a heavyweight by todays standards. I believe Marciano should be considered the greatest Supermiddlewweight / lightheavyweight of all time because he could have easily fought anywhere from 170 to 200 pounds. The press constantly praises Ali, Frazier, Foreman and Tyson for their fighting prowess and I don't believe ANY of them, with the possible exception of Foreman, would last over 5 rounds with Wlad. I would also place Lennox Lewis over them.

The boxing press seems to like to dismiss many of todays fighters that would give the Ali's and Frazier's of yesterday serious problems. Byrd would have given Ali, Foreman or Tyson big trouble. Look what Evander Holyfield did to Tyson. This is the same Holyfield who had trouble with Bobby Cyz as a lightheavy. I guess it comes to remembering the good old days to be better than they actually were.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
it is a proven fact. Russians are the best boxers. I am proud even though I am Polish.

Those Ukrainians aren't bad, either.
smiley2.gif

Just playing with ya.
smiley4.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Bart said:
Wlad's jab is bone crushing.

For those of you who missed the fight, Bart is right on the money. Wlad was snapping Brewster's head back with it throughout the fight, like it was a straight right or power shot. Fierce.

dkr77

Guru
Didn't Merchant comment something to the effect that Wlad threw more jabs through the first 4 rounds than any other heavyweight fighter?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
KJV1 said:
Did anybody notice if ESPN put any of the pictures on their website?

Main page has Venus hoisting what appears to be a giant gong, with the caption "Irrestible Fource."

There is no boxing in the 'Spotlight' of hot articles and pics just below the main article, either. The two pics that rotated in that section while I was there were of Mike Vick and Tiger Woods (I'm not kidding.) Klitscko's win is linked among about a dozen others to the side.

How far have we fallen when a heavyweight championship fight doesn't merit main page coverage on a sporting news site?

Edited by: White Shogun

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
The headline articles at Sports Illustrated are Wimbledon and Ultimate Fighting. Lest you think they're covering Sean Sherk or something like that, the Ultimate Fighting story is about Tito Ortiz facing Rashad Evans. The picture is of him holding Jenna Jamison. The caption reads, "Beauty and the Beast." Tito has a date tonight but it isn't with Jenna...
smiley11.gif

The Wimbledon article has a photo of Venus clutching the gong to her belly, captioned: "Out of this World." Venus Williams played out of this world on an improbable run..
smiley11.gif
smiley11.gif

Makes you wonder if there are any white people left in this country anymore.. will the last one out please turn off the lights? Thanks.
smiley5.gif

Bart

Hall of Famer
ESPN had an APreport of the fight in the boxing section. It seems the media must alwaysput a bit of "spin" on everything in order to diminish the accomplisments of white athletes. Last paragraph in particular.

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=292913 2[/url]

COLOGNE, Germany -- Wladimir Klitschko beat Lamon Brewster with a technical knockout after six rounds on Saturday to successfully defend his IBF heavyweight title.

The Ukrainian clearly dominated the first five rounds, making repeated contact with his strong left jab that largely went unanswered.

Brewster seemed to be standing up to the constant punishment, but two massive left-right combinations in the sixth round rocked the American. Before the seventh could start, Brewster's trainer slapped his towel on the canvas and referee Sam Williams called the fight.

The result was in stark contrast to the last meeting between the two. In 2004, Brewster defeated Klitschko with a fifth-round TKO to win the vacant WBO championship in Las Vegas.

Klitschko dominated that fight early on and knocked down Brewster in the fourth round, but the American was saved by the bell. Two left hooks by Brewster in the fifth turned the fight around.

Brewster was returning after a yearlong absence following his loss to Sergei Liakhovich in April 2006 during which the American suffered a detached retina in his left eye that required surgery. He returned from his layoff to fight Klitschko without even a warmup bout.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I saw that, Bart. "..without even a warmup bout."

Preparation is part of boxing. If they felt their man should have taken a warm up fight, they could have arranged one. Truth is, I think they knew Brewster wasn't going to be ready, period, and they would have lost a major payday against Wlad if he fought a tune up fight and lost. It was Wlad or bust, and I think they took the payday and gambled on the one-punch KO. When they saw they weren't going to get it, they quit.

JD074

Master
Wlaaaaad!! Pure dominance. This guy is so good that I wasn't even nervous before this fight, believe it or not. He was in total control.

smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Here are some pictures. Yahoo featured the fight as one of it's lead stories. Maybe we're getting the message out.

Not too bad a story, written by a woman, maybe she has the hots for Wlad.

Klitschko beats Brewster by TKO

kl1.jpg

kl2.jpg

kl3.jpg

kl4.jpg

kl5.jpg

kl6.jpg

kl7.jpg

kl8.jpg

kll0.jpg

kl11.jpg

kll2.jpg

kll3.jpg

kl9.jpg
Edited by: jaxvid

jared

Mentor
ESPN ran this article today: Klitschko w/ broken hand?
COLOGNE, Germany -- Wladimir Klitschko fought most of his title bout against Lamon Brewster with a broken left hand.

Assistant trainer Jamen Ali Bashir told The Associated Press Sunday that the heavyweight champion broke his middle finger during his technical knockout of Lamon Brewster on Saturday night.

Klitschko iced his hand immediately after the match, and is now wearing a cast from his left hand up past his elbow, Bashir said before boarding an airplane at the Cologne airport.

"It will take eight weeks to heal," Bashir said.

Despite the injury, Klitschko dominated. He landed several strong left jabs that largely went unanswered and in the sixth round, two massive left-right combinations rocked the American. Brewster's trainer, Buddy McGirt, stopped the fight before the seventh round could start and the big Ukrainian defended his IBF and IBO titles.

Both trainers said afterward that Klitschko would have knocked out Brewster in the seventh round.

Kaptain

Master
I didn't see anything on ESPN's sportscenter this am. Not one word. I may have missed it, but I doubt it. Compare that to the many days and many replays of Rampage Jackson's win over Liddell. Had Vlad lost it would have certainly been a lead in story on Sportscenter.

speedster

Mentor
That is the heaviest jab that I've ever seen.Nasty.I like the way Wlad keeps moving giving different angles and never letting Brewster get set.With this win Wlad is the p4p king.He's beaten nothing but contenders the last couple of years and has been dominant.Is it a coinky dink that our guys have done so well in various sports since the advent of this site?Okay,that may be a bit much but maybe a few athletes have been here and received some inspiration knowing how much we are behind them.I have been a boxing fan for a few decades but this era could be a golden one.Wlad,NA ZDROWIE.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Speedster wrote:

"...this era could be a golden one."

smiley14.gif
I like that comment...it's shaping up to be just that!

Edited by: JD1986

Freedom

Mentor
I saw it Sunday on HBO. He is a good fighter but the Brewster guy was so boring. Not watching boxing a lot, it is hard to believe that Brewster once beat Klitschko.

ironfist

Guru
Freedom said:
I saw it Sunday on HBO. He is a good fighter but the Brewster guy was so boring. Not watching boxing a lot, it is hard to believe that Brewster once beat Klitschko.

Don't believe it, because Wlad was drugged in the first fight. Vitali just said it again.

white is right

Hall of Famer
The first fight will go down in boxing history as one of the most controversial fights in history. I recall other similar controversies in the past. I think Wlad had some kind of blood sugar issue as drugs didn't show up in his post fight urinalysis. But then again the test results were destroyed as soon as he passed the test. Maybe he had a new drug that could clear the drug screen in his system. The Wlad that won on Saturday isn't losing for 4 years unless he walks into a monster bomb.......
smiley32.gif
Edited by: white is right

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
white is right,
I don't remember exactly, but wasn't there even more controversy surrounding the sample rather than just that it was destroyed? Something about it going to a different lab, or they requested an independent lab conduct tests, something like that? I thought there was more to it.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I recall that was part of the mystery. It was like something out of a bad movie about a fix in a championship fight( similar to Snake eye or the Harder they Fall).

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Henderson/Henderson_071207.htm

Check out this pathetic interview in which Brewster makes several excuses as to why he was barely able to land a single punch on Wlad last weekend, before quitting after six rounds. Apparently, he thinks his pussy-esque performance (where he was not much more than a punching bag with less movement) was merely the result of "ring rust," and him "having an off night." This fails to make sense to me...as he had nearly the exact same layoff period before he fought Liakhovich. Lamon then "predicts" that if the two would meet for a third fight, that he would knock Wlad out, haha. I can't believe he actually has the gaul to make statments of this nature...seriously, the guy only ever won A SINGLE ROUND OVER KLITSCHKO (the 4th round of fight #1). I hope he does get another chance so that Wlad can finish his career for good...almost like what Brewster/King tried to do to Klitschko 3 years ago, right?Edited by: Thrashen

G

"Lamon then "predicts" that if the two would meet for a third fight,
that he would knock Wlad out, haha. I can't believe he actually has the
gall to make statments of this nature..."

Ha ha, I picked up on that too. How pathetic. The REALand valid excuse he had for losing he forgot to mention, namely Don King wasn't able to get his mitts on Wlad's water bottle before the rematch!

ww

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
That's exactly what I said to some people at work before the fight: Wlad will win easily this time, because he won't be drugged since Brewster is no longer associated with Don King.

I bet with someone giving him a 3 to 1 cash return - in other words, I would have had to pay him three time the amount he paid me, if Brewster won. I had no doubts because I knew something crooked must have happened last time, since Wlad is a far better fighter.Edited by: JD1986