Klitschko lines up Brock for IBF fight

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Klitschko lines up Brock for IBF heavyweight defence

September 7, 2006
HAMBURG, Germany (AFP) - Ukrainian IBF heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko will make the first defence of his title against American Calvin Brock in New York on November 11, his German promoter announced.

The date and place for the fight had already been decided some time ago but an opponent had yet to be found.

There had been talk of a possible unification showdown with Kazakh-born naturalized American Oleg Maskaev, who took the WBC title from Hasim Rahman last month.

But instead, the unbeaten Brock, 31, has finally been given his opportunity to win a world title.

He has had 29 professional fights, winning 22 inside the distance and is rated third in the world by both the IBF and WBA, although he has never even fought a former title holder.

"Calvin Brock is a very difficult opponent as his pro results and amateur career proves," said Klitschko, one year his opponent's junior at 30.

Klitschko, a former WBO belt-holder, won the IBF title in April with a dominant seventh round stoppage of Chris Byrd.

"I know he is a dangerous opponent and I will not under-estimate him," said the brother of former heavyweight king Vitali.

Klitschko, who bases himself partly in Germany and partly in the US, has 46 victories from 49 bouts with 41 coming inside the distance.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I may have to go somewhere and watch that one. It will be fun seeing the defense and unification fights over the next few years.

white is right

Hall of Famer
If the gym rumours are true he maybe an easier touch than Briggs. Seeing Mcflinchy drop and wobble Brock makes these rumours seem true.....
smiley36.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
white is right said:
If the gym rumours are true he maybe an easier touch than Briggs. Seeing Mcflinchy drop and wobble Brock makes these rumours seem true.....
smiley36.gif

Who is Mcflinchy? Edited by: White Shogun

JD074

Master
Wow, a lot of fights coming up. Klitschko/ Brock, Liakhovich/ Briggs, Calzaghe and Valuev will be fighting soon, and in the UFC, Hughes/ Penn II. The next couple of months could be very interesting.

Hockaday

Guru
McFlinchy. I like that. I believe he began to develop that habit about the third or fourth round of his fight with Klitchko.

To me, Klitchko's chin is still a question mark. He has everything else, though. He can really bring it.

Brock fights like a college graduate who learned to box from instructional tapes. He should be a fairly routine night's work for a talent like Vlad.Edited by: Hockaday

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Hockaday said:
Brock fights like a college graduate who learned to box from instructional tapes.

This is not a joke.

Brock actually DID learn to box by watching videos. It was a topic of discussion during a pre-fight interview with Brock and his father. Young Calvin wanted to box, so his dad bought a bunch of instructional tapes and commenced to training Brock in the fine art of pugilism. Apparently, Brock was routinely beaten when he started out in the amateurs, but later started winning and finally found a gym in which to train. And the rest, as they say, is history. Calvin Brock is the next great black hope.

This is not a joke. Edited by: White Shogun

Wlad's chin is fine.He was drugged against Brewster.People talk about wlads chin especially in the brewster fight,but brewster didnt really land any shots on wlad and wlad just passed out,but wlad dropped brewster(first time in his career he has been dropped)with right hands so does that mean that brewster IS actually the one with the glass chin.Wlad took huge shots against Peter in the 4rd round and he was fine then.The media does a good job of brainwashing alot of people around the world.

Hockaday

Guru
Clear back in the Mercer fight I could see that Vlad might have a problem taking punches. A couple of times I saw Vlad's knees wobble ever so slightly from Mercer's jab. Then came the Sanders disaster. Add to that the Brewster fight collapse. Then he fought a fringe guy, I forget the name, and got knocked to his knees in that one. I'll tell you, by then the media had done a good job of brainwashing me into thinking that Vlad might not have the best chin.

So what does Vlad and his ?Chin? do? Signs to fight Peter. Props to Vlad, he's no ducker. He survived Peter's power and almost stopped him. A very redemptive moment for Vlad. In the Bird fight Chris came off the ropes and turned Vlad's head about 150 degrees with a left hook. Granted Bird's no big puncher, but a china chin would have gone down, and Vlad didn't.

Vlad is no china chin, but he's no Tex Cobb, either. He's somewhere in between, and he's learned how to deal with it and what to do if he gets hurt. Grab his guy, buy some time and get his legs back, then go back to doing what he does best. Methodically beat the crap out of other heavyweights.

Edited by: Hockaday

white is right

Hall of Famer
Wlad's chin is about as good as Tommy Morrison's chin. Except he is much taller and can buy time with his new Lennox Lewis style of grabbing and stalling. His chin isn't glass but it's not Vitali's chin or maybe the greatest chin that I have seen Ollie McCalls.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Hold on here.Hasn't Ollie McCall been knocked out before.Vitali never was.He has a iron chin that can take even a punch from Tyson in his prime.He was never even knocked down in his whole profesional boxing career.How is that not the best chin ever.Even Marciano was knocked down but never knocked out.I will put Vitali up against anyone.

Hockaday

Guru
Lightning, I have to agree with you about Vitaly's chin. If Vlad had Vitaly's chin, he would be undefeated and dominant right now. Lewis nailed Vitaly with his best and couldn't hurt him. Corrie Sanders caught him with the same shot he dropped Vlad with and only made Vlad blink a couple times.

Along with his chin, Vitaly had a mean streak that Vlad lacks. I wish he could have lasted a few more fights.
His knees and shoulders let him down, but never his chin.

JD074

Master
white is right said:
Wlad's chin is about as good as Tommy Morrison's chin. Except he is much taller and can buy time with his new Lennox Lewis style of grabbing and stalling.

It's a good thing that he now has a black American trainer to teach him all the dirty tricks. Sometimes white fighters are too noble for their own good.

Iron

Guru
white is right said:
Wlad's chin is about as good as Tommy Morrison's chin. Except he is much taller and can buy time with his new Lennox Lewis style of grabbing and stalling. His chin isn't glass but it's not Vitali's chin or maybe the greatest chin that I have seen Ollie McCalls.

i would'nt say Wlad's chin is that bad.If you look over his three knock out defeats,two of them against Brewster and Purrity were due pretty much too exaustion after beating his opponents almost to death rather than his opponents punches.The third one was to white South African Corrie Sanders in a fight Wlad seemed to underestimate.White men seem to produce nowdays the biggest punchers in the upper weights of MMA k1 and boxing.Sanders is a scorching puncher with phenominal handspeed.A real banger.K.O magazine,in the heavyweight reviews they used too do described him as possesing freakishly quick hands.For them to describe a White heavyweight like that or any heavy for that matter is quite something.Michael Sprott a Black British heavyweight who's beaten Danny Williams,won the European title and is known for his durability,many thought he unlucky too lose to Virchis another big Ukranian puncher, barely lasted more than a minute with Sanders.Sprott was asked for his prediction for the Sanders/Vitali titlefight and was convinced Sanders would win testifying to Sanders power that he's felt nothing like it,even when he hits you on the arm it hurts.Sanders also knocked Al Cole out in barely a minute and was unlucky to lose to Rahman, a fight in which he was thouroughly dominating.Sanders is a big time underachiever considering his talent and Vlad seemed to underestimate him for that and paid the price.He got up from all his knockdowns though which is something Lennox Lewis never did.

white is right

Hall of Famer
white lightning said:
Hold on here.Hasn't Ollie McCall been knocked out before.Vitali never was.He has a iron chin that can take even a punch from Tyson in his prime.He was never even knocked down in his whole profesional boxing career.How is that not the best chin ever.Even Marciano was knocked down but never knocked out.I will put Vitali up against anyone.
McCall was hit by punches with his head turned and never wobbled. McCall has never been stopped he has just lost on points(about a million times). The McCall that is fighting now is 40 and will be stopped at some point.Edited by: white is right

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I am looking forward to seeing this fight, or at least hearing about it.

Hockaday

Guru
Corrie Sander's handspeed and punch, along with being left handed, made him a very dangerous fighter. He could have made a lot more money than he did if he had only dedicated himself one hundred percent to boxing. I understand he was more interested in golfing than fighting.

Hockaday said:
Clear back in the Mercer fight I could see that Vlad might have a problem taking punches. A couple of times I saw Vlad's knees wobble ever so slightly from Mercer's jab. Then came the Sanders disaster. Add to that the Brewster fight collapse. Then he fought a fringe guy, I forget the name, and got knocked to his knees in that one. I'll tell you, by then the media had done a good job of brainwashing me into thinking that Vlad might not have the best chin.

So what does Vlad and his ?Chin? do? Signs to fight Peter. Props to Vlad, he's no ducker. He survived Peter's power and almost stopped him. A very redemptive moment for Vlad. In the Bird fight Chris came off the ropes and turned Vlad's head about 150 degrees with a left hook. Granted Bird's no big puncher, but a china chin would have gone down, and Vlad didn't.

Vlad is no china chin, but he's no Tex Cobb, either. He's somewhere in between, and he's learned how to deal with it and what to do if he gets hurt. Grab his guy, buy some time and get his legs back, then go back to doing what he does best. Methodically beat the crap out of other heavyweights.

No disrespect but I dont know what fight you were watching.I have nearly every Klitschko fight on DVD and Ive never seen him get wobbled by Mercer.I know the situation with the Sanders fight and I know why Wlad came out completely flat and dry for that fight.You mentioned after Brewster he fought someother guy and got knocked to his knees,I believe that was TOS and got caught off balance but got up before jay nady started the one count.The sam peter fight was bullsh*t.The stupid ref was daydreaming throughout the whole damn fight.Hell I dont blame wlad for getting knocked down in that fight.If I got hit so many times in BACK OF THE HEAD I would fall too.Take a look at round 3 in the sam peter fight.He throws a huge left and wlad did not even buckle ONCE.Heres a question when has Wlad ever been KO'D? not tkod but KO'D?
Wlad's chin is fine and he can take a punch.He doesnt have his brothers chin but he does have a damn good chin if you ask me.Edited by: onewarrior5

Hockaday

Guru
Onewarrior5, your points are well taken. I hope you are right about Klitchko's chin. Klitchko is an awesome talent. It's just that his legs, or balance, don't react well to some punches. Then he looks more hurt than he really is. I think if he had known how to tie Sanders up in their fight, he could have recovered and won.

Having the right mindset helps in taking punches, too. Maskeav learned that, and Klitchko has too, I think.

Edited by: Hockaday

JD074

Master
onewarrior5 said:
I know the situation with the Sanders fight and I know why Wlad came out completely flat and dry for that fight.

Why?

And what's TOS?

I agree 100% about the Peter fight. Two knockdowns were due to punches to the back of the head, and the third was due to fatigue.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Try asking for Klitschko DVD's on regular boxing boards, there are many collectors on these boards. Most will charge a reasonable price about 20 buck?

JD074 said:
onewarrior5 said:
I know the situation with the Sanders fight and I know why Wlad came out completely flat and dry for that fight.

Why?

And what's TOS?

I agree 100% about the Peter fight. Two knockdowns were due to punches to the back of the head, and the third was due to fatigue.

Wlad wanted a big name fight,but his then promoter said no and gave him sanders.Also 13 Heavyweights turned down a fight against Wlad for a fight in Germany.Wlad was really depressed and he actually didnt even train properly for the fight.He just mainly trained by lifting weights and nothing else.there are other VERY IMPORTANT factors also.Peter kohl was afraid to lose wlad.wlad was his meal ticket and kohl was out to destroy the klitschkos mainly wlad.There is much more about this trust me.he was out to destroy their careers.He almost succeeded in doing just that.He was one of the main figures behind the drugging of wlad in the brewster fight.kohl is the don king of germany.
Wlad fought a fighter called Davaryll"TOS" Williamson.His nickname is "Touch Of Sleep"=TOSEdited by: onewarrior5

JD074

Master
Very interesting, onewarrior. So Wlad was his meal ticket, and once he realized he was going to lose him, decided to sabotage him? Otherwise he'd be pretty stupid to try to destroy his meal ticket!

I don't know what to believe about all of this stuff, especially the drugging part. Unfortunately the media in the US is truly pathetic. There is so much in politics, for example, that isn't discussed. The same goes for sports.