Kimo von Oelhoffen

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
What is our stance on him? Wikipedia has him being of German, Portuguese, and Hawaiian decent. What is everyone's take?

white is right

Hall of Famer
He is biracial. He has German lineage on his fathers side. But if you look at him he looks part Pacific-islander.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
I figured that, but was just curious because we keep a tab of Kaevisharn but not von Oelhoffen, not trying to advocate rooting for von oelhoffen because I root for full bred white athletes, just seeing what the board thought.

*sigh* We now have a stance on mixed race players? While the main theme of the site is the plight of the white athlete, Kaesviharn and Kimo VO deserve credit for beating the odds too. I pull for the best players out there, not just the white players. I'd take a Darell Green or Marvin Harrison on my team any day, right alongside an Urlacher, an Archuleta, or a Mike Furrey. I pull(mostly) for the good players who are also classy on and off the field, something lacking in today's game.

Freedom

Mentor
I think Polynesian lineman are acceptable(although blacks are preferred) by Caste Standards so he is biracial. He never really defied the Caste System. He is a nice player to have on a team though.

Sometimes though, a player that is not 100% European should be considered white if he considers himself white and/or the media considers him white in surveys.

I also am a fan of players that are not gigantic so that is why I don't like von Oelhoffen. It is not a good idea to have kids looking up to 330 pound guys.

I read an article in SI years ago that talked about football in Samoa. It mentioned how recruited Samoans possessed superior ability to bulk up through lifting. That sounds like Caste propaganda to me.Edited by: Freedom

backrow

Hall of Famer
i like polynesians. they don't have it any easier than whites in the NFL imo plus the guys that i've played rugby with were always top notch, if on a simpler side at times. very good people and they play hard, too.

PS no, that's not propaganda, every Samoan that i've played with was very very strong and very very big. and i am a big and strong guy, so when i say that i actually mean it.Edited by: backrow

Freedom

Mentor
I'm a fan of Polynesian culture as well and I studied the Rapanui on Easter Island. I think at positions that are reserved for "blacks only" they have it just as hard as whites. So Troy Polamalu[I stink at spelling their names though] for the Steelers has had to overcome the Caste System. Tuiassasopo[Help with the spelling], from Washington had more talent than Culpepper at QB, but was only started in rough situations and never really given any development seasons.
Do many participate in World Strongest Man competitions?
I know of a Japanese Hawaiian who defied a lot of prejudice from the native Japanese to become a Sumo Wrestling Champion. I think his name was Kenishiki[spelling]. I remember him from a video, "Get the feeling power", that I watched as a child.

IMO:
the general perception of Polynesians is that they are strong and big. While this may be justified, the media and populace still believe this so it sort of cancels out the speed belief of blacks.Edited by: Freedom

backrow

Hall of Famer
they're not into World Strongest Man so much as far as i know. it's mostly northern and eastern European domain.

Samoans, in particular, are big. Of the Asians in the NFL, they tend to make the overwhelming ethnicity. And yes, they are different from other Asians; compare, say, Polomalu and Kaesviharn. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Kaesviharn, but Polomalu is an even better player, IMO. Samoans tend to have a body more suited for football than most of the other Asian races; they're bigger, and seem to have heavier frames as well. I'd love to compare another non-Samoan to a Samoan player, but I can't name any, aside from Kaesviharn...meanwhile, Samoan NFL players. Interestingly enough, Mike Sellers is listed; I thought he was merely light skinned.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Matt_Bowen_Fan said:
Samoans, in particular, are big. Of the Asians in the NFL, they tend to make the overwhelming ethnicity. And yes, they are different from other Asians; compare, say, Polomalu and Kaesviharn. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Kaesviharn, but Polomalu is an even better player, IMO. Samoans tend to have a body more suited for football than most of the other Asian races; they're bigger, and seem to have heavier frames as well. I'd love to compare another non-Samoan to a Samoan player, but I can't name any, aside from Kaesviharn...meanwhile, Samoan NFL players. Interestingly enough, Mike Sellers is listed; I thought he was merely light skinned.
I think a few Tongans have made the NFL too. I recall Vai Sikahema being one of the best return men in the early 90's. He was real water bug.

backrow

Hall of Famer
white is right said:
Matt_Bowen_Fan said:
I think a few Tongans have made the NFL too. I recall Vai Sikahema being one of the best return men in the early 90's. He was real water bug.

yes i can attest to that, one of my former rugby teammates and good buddy of mine was one of those Tongans that played in NFL. that was in the 90s for Chargers, DE Andy Katoa.

JD074

Master
Matt_Bowen_Fan said:
*sigh* We now have a stance on mixed race players?

No, "we" don't. "We" don't have a stance on anything. Each individual here has his own opinion. Simple as that.

I pull for the best players out there, not just the white players.

That's fine. And some of us root for white players only (apparently, not that many of us!) To each his own. Every white sports fan should be free to root for any athlete he wants, and without being guilt-tripped about it.