Kevin Curtis

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Thrashen said:
Can you imagine the season Curtis could put together with Brady, Manning, Palmer, Favre, Bulger, or Kitna?

???

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Obviously, I meant if he were promoted to his current #2 WR position for the Eagles while on the Rams (with Bulger), instead of being traded.
smiley1.gif

As we all well know here at CF, when Curtis filled in for Bruce at #2, he was amazing. However, I supposed Deion Sanders missed watching those games, huh?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Sorry, Thrashen, I thought maybe it was just an oversight.
smiley17.gif

My bad.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
It's cool, man, I hope you and all the guys here at CF have a great holiday season and enjoy some serious Bowl game action
smiley17.gif
!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
CBS Sportsline writer Dave Richard
smiley8.gif
has his fantasy football "wishlist for 2008," and prominent on it is this wish:

-A quality receiver for Donovan McNabb. Someone that's going to scare defenses more than Kevin Curtis.

Further polishing his Caste idiot credentials, Richard also wants -Reliable, go-to receivers for Vince Young.

Yeah, because everyone knows that Young is a fantastic talent in waiting when it comes tothe passing game. Sorry to post this on Christmas but I hope this assnerd trips over some Christmas tree lights and ends up in the hospital.

backrow

Hall of Famer
draftdaddy linked this article, here's some underhanded praise of Kevin. Reid actually calls him fast, too!

"Kevin's a guy that you definitely have the confidence in - you put it anywhere around it, he'll catch it," McNabb said. "He has deceptive speed. He's a guy that's getting comfortable in the offense."

Said Reid: "He's done what I thought he could do given the opportunity. He's got phenomenal hands, even though he had a couple of drops [Sunday]. He's very, very intelligent. I think we all know he's fast. He's good in a lot of breaks. That normally lends itself to being a good receiver

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
Said Reid: "He's done what I thought he could do given the opportunity. He's got phenomenal hands, even though he had a couple of drops [Sunday]. He's very, very intelligent. I think we all know he's fast. He's good in a lot of breaks. That normally lends itself to being a good receiver.

Sounds like your typical black receiver to me, except for the phenomenal hands and very, very, intelligent part.
smiley17.gif
Edited by: White Shogun

backrow

Hall of Famer
wow, the freakin announcer just said that about Curtis:

"he was a nice offseason pick up for Eagles, NOT THE FASTEST GUY but has sure hands and finds himself in the right position all the time"

WTF!
smiley11.gif

bigunreal

Mentor
Just another example of how hard it will be to ever dismantle the Caste System:

-- Kevin Curtis Lacks Respect Among Eagle Fans --
Fri Jan 4, 2008 --from FFMastermind.com

The Philadelphia Daily News reports Eagles WR Kevin Curtis caught 77 passes during the 2007 season, which was the fourth most by an Eagles wideout since the league went to a 16-game season in 1978. He had 1,110 receiving yards, which was the seventh most by an Eagle since 1978. And he averaged 14.4 yards per catch, which was eighth among NFL receivers with at least 60 receptions this season. But while Curtis might have long ago earned the respect of FS Brian Dawkins and his other teammates, fans of the team have been a little slower in coming around. They've been showing their appreciation for Curtis' impressive season by calling the talk shows and/or sending out e-mail missives to the media clamoring for an upgrade to the wide-receiving corps.

If it's not the racist black coaches or players, or the even more anti-white white coaches, or the wimpy, self- loathing white players, or the smarmy, white-hating jock-sniffers in the media, it's the drunk white fans.

The Eagles need to "upgrade" Reggie Brown, who had a poor season and has no business being a #1 reciever for the Eagles.

Keven Curtis is a keeper, IMHO. How can you dismiss a guy with a 77 catch 1,100 yard season?

G

I have come to the conclusion that drunk white fans barely even know what is going on.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
This all sounds similar to Mike Furrey last year - great season, lots of catches and yardage...then is rewarded the following year with a demotion.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
"I have come to the conclusion that drunk white fans barely even know what is going on."

You are 100% correct. I don't like ANY NFL team, just players. However, I know infinately times more about NFL teams that even the most diehard fans. I'm constantly correcting "true fans," reminding them of their starting lineman and defensive players (and picking apart their respective flaws). How is this possible?

For instance, this past season, after Curtis' amazing game against Detriot, I said: "Did you guys see that new WR on the Eagles tied a first half NFL record for yards!? What a game!"

They replied: "Oh, yeah, Reggie Brown....or was that Kevin Carver?"

I seriously hate the Eagles, but I know their entire starting lineup....I'm sure many of us here are similar in that respect.Edited by: Thrashen

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
But let's give Curtis a little respect. He proved this season that he can be a solid starting wideout in this league.

Part of his problem is that he's a tad undersized - 5-11 and only about 185 pounds.

"For a little guy," offensive tackle Jon Runyan said when asked his impressions of Curtis, "he's strong and he's not scared of anything. The only problem is he's a little on the small side."

Another part of his problem is that he's white, which, in most people's minds, translates to slow.

Curtis is one of just five white starting wide receivers in the league. But the notion that he's slow is a fallacy. He ran a 4.41 40 at his predraft workout in 2003. That's faster than Javon Walker (4.43), faster than Deion Branch (4.51), faster than Bernard Berrian (4.59), faster than Reggie Wayne (4.55), faster than Larry Fitzgerald (4.52), faster than many receivers who are considered more dangerous vertical threats than the Utah native.

"Everybody gets stereotyped," an AFC personnel man said. "I'm don't know that it's malicious. Sometimes it is. But sometimes, you almost get trained. You take for granted that that's what it is. Like the John Fogerty song says, 'It must be true because I heard it on the radio.'

"Curtis can run. If he's not 4.4 speed, he's 4.4 quick. He's a good [No.] 2 receiver. He's just not real big, and big seems to be in vogue right now. So maybe that's part of the issue with him. Smaller guys are viewed as Wes Welkers and slot guys."

My Analysis: Wow, he's even earned the respect of his black teammates and coaches who are traditionally slow to come around to a white at a forbidden position, but is still hated by the fans and media. I don't get this writers point that 5'11 is too small. Steve Smith was possibly the best in the league before a let down year this year and he is 5'9.

Kevin Curtis is a top 15 WR in this league IMO! He may be Pro-bowl good if McNabb who at least has given Curtis credit for being a good player would look his way more! Jay Feeley seemed to throw to Curtis more than Donovan! When McNabb had his best game Curtis caught 11 catches for over 200 yards and 3 TDs.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I am posting this in the Curtis thread b/c the article in Don's post is another clear example of the hate on Kevin Curtis. This article was about where Eli ranks as a QB yet the damn writer has to add a fawning comment about Donovan McNabb who has been oft-injured and rusty and take a jab at the Eagles "terrible receivers." Here is the snip from the article.

But Manning is the first one to admit he has to become more consistent. There's no guarantee that because of this Super Bowl he'll continue to play mistake-free football in 2008. Where does Eli rank among NFL QBs? I'd take these 10 guys over him for 2008:

1. Tom Brady
2. Peyton Manning
3. Tony Romo
4. Ben Roethlisberger
5. Drew Brees
6. David Garrard
7. Carson Palmer
8. Brett Favre
9. Derek Anderson
10. Matt Hasselbeck

If his health wasn't always in question, I'd be tempted to take Donovan McNabb over Eli as well. McNabb's numbers skyrocketed in '07 when his knee got healthy, and remember, the Eagles' receivers are terrible.

I'm putting together evidence in my posts because I am writing a book on this topic.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Eagles are reportedly trying to work out a trade for Javon Walker. They also talked to Randy Moss before he re-signed with New England. I don't think McNabb is going to have the big comeback season a lot of fans are predicting and expect he'll be with another team in '09, butI worry about what will happen to Curtis's role if they obtain Walker. It's possible he could be made the slot receiver asReggie Brownis bigger than Curtis andbeing black heof course is seen as being blessed with loads of still untapped athleticism and big play potential.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Walker signed with Raiders, so unless Eagles draft receiver in first two rounds Curtis will stay on as a starter.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Funny story.

For Christmas, I got a Modell's gift card, and planned on using it to buy myself a Kevin Curtis replica jersey. I searched online first but the websites made no mention of such an item. I decided to go to the store to see for myself. When I got there, hanging behind the registers were the obligatory McNabb, Westbrook, and Dawkins shirts, so I decided to ask personally. I approached the cashier (a black guy about my age) and asked if they had any Curtis shirts. He looked me in the eyes and said "Who?"

I eventually bought one online at the Eagles team store. Hopefully his stellar play this year will turn more heads, especially doubters in Philadelphia itself.

Go Eagles!

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Nice post, phillybirds, nice to see you at this site!

Make sure to keep us updated on all the Eagles news involving our white athletes. The Eagles have been a model caste organization of the past 7-8 seasons, but with guys like Curtis, Stewart, Considine, Celek, Klecko, Herrimans, Kolb, and Runyan breaking the mold...maybe things will change for the better soon enough in Philly.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Feels great to have found this site, thanks.

I just recently posted a roster/news update on the 2007 Eagles thread, and I'll continue to work through the Draft to the first game.

And BTW...Damn you, Jason Sehorn!!!Edited by: PhillyBirds

jared

Mentor
I can't tell you how frustrated I get when I read in articles or on boards about how Kevin Curtis is not worthy of being a #1 or even #2 WR! Many folks will say how he is more of a "natural slot guy" and should be the #3 while the less productive Reggie Brown apparently remains ahead of him. Sigh...at least mainstream media is finally beginning to refer to him as a speedster and not just another gritty, blue collar, possesion receiver with sneaky speed.

Gi-15

Mentor
Kevin Curtis will undergo surgery to repair a sports hernia. Eagles coach Andy Reid acknowledged that Curtis will miss a "significant" amount of time.
Reggie Brown is also sidelined with a hamstring injury, so the Birds are currently down both their starting wideouts. Hernia surgeries aren't easy to recover from, although Curtis probably isn't in danger of being placed on I.R. He is very likely to miss the first few weeks of the season. DeSean Jackson could start in his place. Downgrade Curtis accordingly.
Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

bigunreal

Mentor
Once again, we see some of the few white WRs allowed to play in the NFL going down with injuries. Curtis was, despite all the media efforts to deny it, the clear-cut #1 WR on the team. If he misses significant playing time, we know all too well just how hard it will be to reclaim his position.

Kevin Kasper had, against all odds, won the #3 WR spot on the Browns during camp. This would have been an especially sweet victory for Kasper, who has had to endure more cuts than just about any modern day white WR. Now, Kasper has tweaked a hamstring, which is allowing derelict WRs like Travis Wilson and someone named Steptoe to almost certainly claim that position. Logan Payne, with a real chance at the #3 WR spot in Seattle, thanks to several injuries to the other WRs, lost ground because of a rib injury himself. He's healthy again, but somehow I think that may have given Caste clown Holmgren just another excuse to not play a white WR.

More bad luck? Or whites being injury prone? Who knows- but whatever the reason, it seems like white WRs have more than white-hating coaches, fans and "journalists" working against them. I guess we'll have to root extra hard for Kevin Walter and Drew Bennett.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
bigunreal, a lot of black WRs get hurt as well, but we don't focus on them because there are tons of them and we don't care about them playing. We only have a few men to pull for as WRs and they are busting their humps to keep their job. It makes sense that a couple would get hurt on a regular basis. At least we are seeing the reverse happen insome college cases at a few different positions. No reason to be all negative all the time. We have enough of that to go around.