Ken Mink makes Roane State squad at 73!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
<H1>[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8710842?MSNHPHCP&amp;GT1= 39002[/url]</H1>
<H1>Senior season: 73-year-old laces up the hightops</H1>
<H1>Ken Mink may be the first guy who can qualify for a senior discount during his senior season.</H1>
<DIV id=story_content>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=300 align=right><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
8711152_36_2.jpg
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD ="caption">Ken Mink is living his college hoops dream at the age of 73. (Saul Young/Knoxville News Sentinel / Special to FOXSports.com)</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

Mink, 73, is a 6-foot, 190-pound newcomer to the Roane State (Tenn.) junior college basketball team about 35 miles west of Knoxville.

He's likely the oldest person to ever play college hoops. To put Mink in perspective, Utah State's Gary Wilkinson will be among the oldest Division I players this season; he just turned 26.

Mink played for Lees (Ky.) Junior College until 1956 when he was dismissed following a prank he still denies.

Mink, an avid outdoorsman, said he realized he could still hoop it up when he was shooting baskets in his driveway last fall.

"I had been knocking down shot after shot, so when I came in the house I told my wife, 'I've still got it,' " Mink told the Knoxville News Sentinel. "She said, 'You've got what?' I said, 'I can still play.' "
<DIV ="in_info__btm">

Mink wrote to some coaches seeking the chance to play, and Roane's Randy Nesbit gave him a shot. Mink spent the summer getting into shape and playing with a senior team from the area in three state tournaments.

Mink says he was a good high school player in the '50s and had several scholarship offers, but went to Lees because it offered a full ride. He says he averaged about 12 points a game until his dismissal.

He can still shoot (watch this video from the Knoxville News Sentinel), moves pretty well for a septuagenarian and has bonded with his younger teammates.

Mink is unlikely to play for more than five or six minutes a game once Roane State opens its season Nov. 3.

"There's a lot of complicated offensive and defensive schemes that I have to learn, but the other players have been helping me every step of the way," Mink said.

Mink beforeone of his two points on November 3-

610x.jpg

http://www.rscc.cc.tn.us/webfolders/NESBITR/basketballMens/R osters%2008-09.pdf

Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Nope, Roane State doesn't have the best website. I'm not saying they aren't out there though.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
He was from a generation long before being bi-lingual in most parts of America was so important. He's probably saying BY GOLLY, ehrr GOOD NIGHT! It would be the BEES KNEES if these immigrants would go back to their bull fighting countries, or as these folks today call Mexico, so I can just stick to English. "No Comprende" these Mestizos! A country would be swell; if we all spoke the language of the constitution and didn't have to deal with Mexican TOM FOOLERY...doh!

j41181

Master
I really feel sorry for this guy. I'd rather he finish his college, graduate, and enjoy the rest of his life (what's left of it), than make of fool of himself on the court.

And yeah, he speaks "ancient" English, not the type when everyone sez:

yo' black,
yo' bruddah,
noable ingles,
no comprende porpabor,
buenos dias,
f**k this,
f**k that..etc.

Good Golly Miss Molly, what is happening to this country?
smiley5.gif