Ken Hall, "The Sugarland Express"

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
https://www.si.com/vault/1982/09/27/625010/whatever-happened-to-the-sugar-land-express

About a month ago I posted this article from Sports Illustrated in 1982 in the "Forgotten White Athletes" thread without much attention from CF. I don't know what happened, but I thought many here would enjoy the read, and maybe it was just missed, so I decided to re-post it on the NFL thread, because Ken Hall did make it to the NFL, yet it was a brief career. BTW, Hall once returned an NFL kickoff 104 yards for a TD and led the league in return yards/att. with 31.4!
What prompted me to post this again was something that was written on the NFL week 13 thread about a defining moment of racial preference in the NFL/College teams. Mr. Poon, I believe posted it to which Awake in America responded with a game between Alabama and USC, where Bear Bryant lost and paraded Sam Cunningham in front of his players. It wasn't the only mistake Bryant made, if indeed he did this! It reminded me of another mistake Bryant made with Ken Hall, quite possibly the greatest high school RB of all time. At the time of this article in SI, Ken Hall was the greatest HS RB of all time!
I won't go into detail, you should read this story, although extensive I believe you'll understand that sometimes we're our own worst enemy. The result of this tragedy did not completely change the racial make up of certain positions in football, but it didn't help.
There is no one defining thing or moment, but a build up things that snow balled into what we have today in the NFL/NCAA. However, I believe this account illustrates how some of it may have gotten started. I read this story and wondered what might have been with Ken Hall and how many other great players were treated this way. Maybe, just maybe with the rise of players like Wes Welker, Danny Woodhead, Jordy Nelson, Theilen, Edelman, McCaffrey, Switzer, etc, there could someday be a strange turn of events that reverses and we'll see a rise in white players taking back more of the skill positions they are qualified to play!
Anyway, just wanted to post again with the hope that ya'll would enjoy.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I love how the writer of the article tells other famous high school running backs who think they are the best to sit down and shut up. He ran the ball 11 times for over 500 yards back then in one game. Damn that is insane. Incredible. What could have been? I would love to see some game footage of him. Too bad they didn't play him more in the 2nd half of games. Yet he still ran for over 11,000 yards in high school. Simply amazing. Thank you for posting this outstanding article!

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
I read the article. An amazing story. Hall's accomplishments are unreal.

You wonder what Hall might have accomplished in college and the pros under different circumstances.

Unlike many of the players today, many of whom are thugs, Hall is a fine example of a man. He's a good role model for young whites.

foreverfree

Mentor
I remember reading that article when it came out (I was at college). I came across it when googling another article in that issue (about the start of the NFLPA strike that year which was the cover story [there was a deflated football on the cover]) and looking at the issue's contents, came across the Hall article and read it (again). Thanks for making me 21 again, Carolina!

John

This was all before I was born, so this is a new (or old) and different perspective for me. The Enemy has been doing their Long March through the Institutions, including football, for decades. Imagine if White kids were given a fair shot...