Westside

Hall of Famer
Kellly tied or down a 1 pt last round up next

Westside

Hall of Famer
I bad Sergio winning by 2 pts

Westside

Hall of Famer
He was alot quicker that Kelly . I don't know how Kelly can improve against him. Sergio dug down deep. Got the decision

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
This sux....sorry to hear of Kelly's loss.
smiley6.gif

The Hock

Master
Kelly had pulled even and looked like he was taking over the fight at the eighth round. He had figured the right range out, then I think the blood from the cuts was affecting his vision and hurting his judgement of distance and Martinez had the speed to take advantage. It looked to me like Kelly coudn't see that well from the ninth on.

I understand Kelly has a rematch clause, and I think he can win a return if he doesn't get cut again.

Highlander

Mentor
I think Kelly should consider changing Management and/or Trainers. He is in his prime now (28 years old) but I haven't seen much progress over the past couple of years. In fact, it seems like he's declined some. He should understand more now how to handle fighters that have the style that Martinez has. I blame this on his trainers.

Granted, the cut over his right eye changed the momentum of the fight as he was mostly blinded from then on. It looked like he was crying rivers of blood. However, after round 7, I believe, I heard his trainer say something to him like "be patient, be patient" and then two rounds later tell him something like "you must attack him, attack, attack". Which is it?

Anyway, it looked like Martinez has been watching film of Calzaghe recently. He seemed to mimic his style and some of his antics.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Highlander ur right Kelly needs a new trainer. His current one is not cutting it! But credit has to be given to Sergio , very fast and has stamina.

f3dor

Guru
sergios white at least, but from a caste perpective, i wanted kelly to win as america discrininated against white atheletes.

At least its not one less white american champ though. I agree above. But kelly has the attributes to be brilliant, hes got stamina, good power and a ok chin. But he needs someone like freddie roach, or emmaneul steward to change him.

it can happen, look at wlad and manny pac, but above average fighters that got turned into fantastic fighters...

j41181

Master
I think it was better for Pavlik to lose. It's a wake-up call for him, time to make some drastic changes (trainers, promoters, etc.).

It's back to the drawing board for Pavlik, time to look himself in the mirror and ponder... "Do I still have what it takes to be champion...?"

He was champion for 3 years, not bad for a white American dude. Not even Sugar Ray Robinson was perfect. The Ghost will rise again from the grave.

My best regards to Pavlik.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I don't follow boxing as much as I do MMA now, but Pavlik really needs to regain his form he had in the Taylor fights, that's the Pavlik I enjoy watching. Hopefully he can bounce back and string together a couple of solid victories and work his way back to the top.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
celticdb15 said:
I don't follow boxing as much as I do MMA now, but Pavlik really needs to regain his form he had in the Taylor fights, that's the Pavlik I enjoy watching. Hopefully he can bounce back and string together a couple of solid victories and work his way back to the top.

I don't know about that Celtic. He had problems with Martinez because he's very fast. The rumors about Kelly having a drinking problem could be true as well.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
celticdb15 said:

I don't know about that Celtic. He had problems with Martinez because he's very fast. The rumors about Kelly having a drinking problem could be true as well.

So you think he's done then??

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
He may not have it anymore. I just don't know. These two losses will put a tremendous dent into his career. He may take advantage of the rematch clause and fight Martinez again. I don't see the fire in his eyes anymore.

JD074

Master
The reason Pavlik didn't beat Martinez like he beat Taylor is because Martinez is better than Taylor! Pavlik isn't bad, Martinez is just that good. The X-factor in this fight was Sergio's chin/ stamina. It was pretty obvious before the fight that Sergio could out-quick and out-slick Pavlik to a decision victory so long as he doesn't wilt down the stretch, as Pavlik's power and work rate start to wear him down. There was a question about Sergio's ability to take a big middleweight punch. Well, he didn't wilt, he didn't get worn down, he could take a big middleweight punch, so he won. Simple as that.

I want to see Martinez/ Williams II. With more time to prepare for Williams, we could see a stronger finish and a more decisive win for Sergio. Of course, nobody has a higher work rate than Williams, so it'll be interesting.Edited by: JD074

The Hock

Master
Could be that staph infection took something out of Kelly. Add a possible drinking problem, his struggle to make 160, and he just didn't have it down the home stretch of this fight. Maybe he's been BSing himself, that he can still party and his punch will bail him out. Like whiteathlete33 says, the fire just wasn't there, for whatever reason.

I say take another crack at Martinez, then move up to 168.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Sorry to hear of Pavlik's loss. Like others have said, at least Martinez is White.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Pavlik lost to a better fiter last nite. Martinez is alot quicker and had great stamina to close the show. I agree Kelly has to shake up his hire Roach or Steward and enforce the rematch clause . If he can't beat Sergio with a different team maybe he peaked in the Taylor fites . I lost money on him and licking my wounds in Vegas at the pool as the girls walk by!

jwhite96

Guru
Westside said:
Highlander ur right Kelly needs a new trainer. His current one is not cutting it! But credit has to be given to Sergio , very fast and has stamina.

Kelly must get a top trainer. His loyalty to his trainer has ruined his career. Kelly Pavlik is one of the most talented white American boxers in the past 40 years. He has lost 2 fights he should have won, and would have won if he were trained by a top trainer. If he was trained by , for example ,Freddie Roach , people would be talking about where does Pavlik rank among the top fighters of all time in his weight class. Now he isn't even champion. Martinez is very good, but Kelly Pavlik after he won the title would have beaten him.

Pavlik lost the fire because he lost to that bum Hopkins. I have never seen such a talented fighter trained by a total nobody. Once he lost to Hopkins,who he should've have easily beaten but clearly lost to, it must have depressed him.

I wouldn't be surprised , if Kelly does have a drinking problem, the Hopkins loss triggered it.
A good example of how not having a top trainer will make a highly talented boxer into a much less effective fighter, look at Tyson. While Kevin Rooney was his trainer , opposing fighters were terrified of him. Once the racist witch Givens talked him into firing his "white" trainer Rooney, Tyson got knocked out by a nobody.Edited by: jwhite96

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Robin Givens is racist or "was" racist?... She has a kid by a cracka tennis player!

She was also married, for one day, to her White tennis coach.