Kelly Pavlik vs. Edison Miranda

Josu

Another great "Latino" fighter,who in reality was white,was the peerless Eder Jofre from Brazil.Jofre had a professional career spanning almost 20 years,and was undisputed world bantamweight champion from 1960-65,and then at the age of 37,won the WBC featherweight title in 1973.During the years 1962-64,Jofre was regarded as the best pound for pound fighter in the world.Nat Fleischer,the founder of Ring magazine called him "the bantamweight Sugar Ray Robinson",Barney Ross,who refereed his title defence against Ramon Arias in Venezuela in 1961,said that he was just thrilled at Jofre's performance,and "he did things that I never thought I would ever see again in a ring".Willie Pep,who refereed his fight against Johnny Caldwell in Sao Paulo in 1962,called Jofre "one helluva of a fighter".When rankings are compiled to determine the greatest 118 pounder ever,Jofre's name is almost always at the top of the list.

Hockaday

Guru
The good "Dr." has a point. Sometimes the worst thing you can do for somebody is raise high expectations for them. It can either go their head or put too much pressure on them. Pavlic seems to have a good head on his shoulders, though. His calm, matter-of-fact outlook and mental strength are great complements to his chin and punch and should help him keep any hype in perspective.

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
I agree Hockaday. I watched Kelly Pavlik on Friday nigt fights and he came off as level headed, calm and ready to take on boxing fame. You can't over-hype knockouts, nor a set of wiskers. Either you have a punch and a chin, or you don't. Kelly has both and woe unto anyone that gets into the ring with him. Just ask Edison Miranda. Kelly turned out his lights and battered him from the first round on. Miranda came out of the fight looking like he was in at least two car accidents, while Pavlik was relatively unscathed.

whiteCB

Master
Youngstown representin!!!! GO KELLY!!!
smiley32.gif
Does anyone know when he'll finally get his overdue shot at the title?Edited by: whiteCB