Kelly Pavlik vs. Edison Miranda

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
This coming Saturday, we'll have a chance to watch Kelly Pavlik on HBO. I think Pavlik, a strong puncher with excellent boxing skills, is a top middleweight who would probably KO Jermain Taylor or Winky Wright.

However, I'm worried about this fight, because Edison Miranda is like an aggressive streetfighter who does whatever he needs to do to win (i.e., headbutts, rabbit punches, low blows). And lets face it, Miranda hits extremely hard (i.e., his first round KO of Gibbs). He is the most difficult opponent possible for Pavlik right now - Kelly would have an easier time with any other middleweight.

If Kelly Pavlik wins this, then he is probably the best middleweight in the world.

Getting very nervous about this fight this weekend....Saw an interview where Pavlik said he's gonna KO Miranda & then he thinks Taylor will vacate his belts instead of fight him....

If Pavlike wins, especially by KO, then we have one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world!!!

He's also only like 25yrs old & just getting started....Could have a hall of fame career that starts this weekend....I'm excited & nervous..LOL...

speedster

Mentor
This is totally a scary fight.Kelly has got to keep sticking that jab and then go from there.This could turn into a brawl which would not be to Pavlik's advantage since with the inevitable clash of heads and roughhousing will probably have Kelly cut at some point.This is going to be a real test and will answer some questions about Kelly like stamina, a good beard and the will to win.We shall see.

Hockaday

Guru
Pavlik is the underdog, and most of the focus is on Miranda, who is very confident. Miranda will likely go right after and try to overwhelm Pavlik, who is somewhat of a slow starter. Miranda looks stronger, but I think he's more of an energy fighter with an impressive build than anything else. Pavlik is the true KO puncher.

Kelly has to hold off Miranda early till the fight settles down, then take control with his more deliberate attack.

I'll go out on a limb here and say someone is going to get knocked out.

Angelcynn

Guru
JD1986, well pointed out. From what i've seen of Miranda he is a dirty fighter in the mold of Saiko Bika. Not suprising as he comes from filthy Columbia. He likes to use cheeky headbutts and loves the low shots below the belt. Watch out Ghost!

white is right

Hall of Famer
Hockaday said:
Pavlik is the underdog, and most of the focus is on Miranda, who is very confident. Miranda will likely go right after and try to overwhelm Pavlik, who is somewhat of a slow starter. Miranda looks stronger, but I think he's more of an energy fighter with an impressive build than anything else. Pavlik is the true KO puncher.

Kelly has to hold off Miranda early till the fight settles down, then take control with his more deliberate attack.

I'll go out on a limb here and say someone is going to get knocked out.
This fight is a strange fight for the 2000 era. Back when their was an undisputed champion a fight like this was pretty much forced upon the fighters to earn the mandatory shot. Now with 4 rankings and weaker paper champions, this is a rare treat. Miranda is overrated, I have a copy of his fight against Abraham. It seems that if he can't bully you he loses heart and resorts to street fighter tactics. If Pavlik keeps his chin out of the way he wins a wide points win. Miranda reminds me of 2000 era version of Mugabi, more bark than bite.....
smiley36.gif

dkr77

Guru
The key to this fight is Pavlik's jab and some good lateral movement. Top it off with a sprinkling of body shot's and some well timed overhand right's and Miranda might not see the 6th round. Looking forward to it
smiley2.gif

Hockaday

Guru
I was thinking along similar lines, W.I.R., only more towards the South American tradition of bully boys, starting with Luis Firpo, to Victor Galindez, to Jose Mayorga, and a bunch of others who came north with glossy records but never made it far enough to be remembered.

For this one I have confetti and party hats ready. I also have a funeral dirge on standbye.

I'm very nervous.

Let's see what Kelly can do. Edited by: Hockaday

Iron

Guru
I'm really pulling for Pavlik in this fight,a true ebony v ivory battle.hope he does the buisiness.

Triad

Mentor
Bith of Miranda's eyes were swollen shut. Pavlik completely dominated and had won every round on Merchant's card before the big KO.

AWESOME!!!!!!!! Man I wish I could have seen this fight...Buddy of mine is recording it for me so I'll see it this week...

Did Pavlik ever go down?? Everybody I talked to was telling me how hard Miranda punched & that Pavlik was gonna get destroyed & at very least touch the canvas a few times...From what I read on fightnews it sounds like Miranda went down in the 6th rd & then again in the 7th....

AWESOME!!!!....We officially have a legit knockout artist at the top of the boxing game!!!!

JD074

Master
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

Awesome!! Way to go, Pavlik! Total demolition. Pavlik says that his power may be deceiving on TV. Well, I think everybody saw it tonight!He had a game plan (back up Miranda all night long) and he executed it. It's good to know that actual boxing skill- and not just raw athleticism, dark skin, and media hype- actually count for something. As someone else mentioned, this was a great B/W contrast. This is exactly the kind of sports exhibition that is very, very important for us.

My concern was not just Miranda's power, but that he would have a great chin and endanger Pavlik for twelve full rounds. Nope! Miranda landed some good right hands, but it was not enough. Miranda has excellent power, but it is not "superhuman." Wait a minute, I thought white fighters couldn't take a punch?!
smiley36.gif

Doc Holliday said:
Did Pavlik ever go down?? Everybody I talked to was telling me how hard Miranda punched & that Pavlik was gonna get destroyed & at very least touch the canvas a few times...From what I read on fightnews it sounds like Miranda went down in the 6th rd & then again in the 7th....

No, Pavlik did not go down. Miranda went down three times, twice in the sixth and once in the seventh! Miranda also intentionally took out his mouthpiece after the first knock down to buy himself some time! He also landed a low blow that was no doubt intentional. Dirty!

AWESOME!!!!....We officially have a legit knockout artist at the top of the boxing game!!!!

Hey, don't forget Klitschko!
smiley4.gif
Edited by: JD074

SWEET!!! I'm bouncing off the walls like I just drank a Red Bull...LOL!!!

JD074, I guess it's just hard to sell Klitschko to people on the streets....I respect him but it's just nice to have an UNDEFEATED KO artist ya know?!!!

Definitely celebrating tonight!!!!!

Congrats to Pavlik!!!
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

Bart

Hall of Famer
Miranda ( Panther ) vs. Pavlik ( The Ghost). I guess it was a black vs white fight.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Way to go Pavlik.I can't wait to watch it when it gets posted on youtube. Thanks for all of the info about the fight guys.Boxing is becoming one of my favorite sports at the moment to go along with ultimate fighting.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Here are a couple of pictures.
kelly1.jpg

kelly2.jpg

And I thought I'd throw this one in too. HAMBURG, GERMANY - MAY 19: Sergiy Dzinziruk (R) of Ukraine celebrates winning the fight after knocking out Carlos Nascimento (L) of Brazil during the WBO super welterweight championship between Sergiy Dzinziruk of Ukraine and Carlos Nascimento of Brasil during the Universum Champions Night at the Color Line Arena May 19, 2007 in Hamburg, Germany. (Photo by Martin Rose/Bongarts/Getty Images)

sergiy.jpg
Edited by: jaxvid

JD074

Master
JD1986 said:
This was one of the best fights I've ever seen, a true classic.

smiley4.gif
smiley32.gif

It was so exciting. I was standing throughout the entire fight. I could not sit down during this one!

Doc, you're right about Wlad- or should I say, you're right about the perception of Wlad. It's very unfortunate. Pavlik is American, that might help. Now if only he was Irish or Italian, he would have it made!
smiley36.gif

By the way, the Taylor/ Spinks fight just ended. Taylor won by decision. Predictably, it was a total bore compared to Pavlik/ Miranda. So what will Taylor do now? Pavlik or Calzaghe?? Or will he look for a safer fight. Hmm.... Edited by: JD074

dkr77

Guru
Pavlik is as tough as nails and what a blistering overhand right! The fight would have been stopped in the 6th if ref Smoger would have done his job properly.

white is right

Hall of Famer
dkr77 said:
Pavlik is as tough as nails and what a blistering overhand right! The fight would have been stopped in the 6th if ref Smoger would have done his job properly.
I actually left my house to watch this one. I knew it was going to be good. I thought it was virtual suicide for Pavlik to fight Miranda's fight, yet he beat him at his own game. I noticed that Miranda tried to get dirty around the 5th round, but by then he was winded and ready to go. Smoger should get called before the state commision for that stoppage. Miranda should have never made it out of the 6th he was an accident waiting to happen. Taylor vs Pavlik could be huge.....
smiley32.gif

Hockaday

Guru
Well well well. I was surprised to see Pavlik come out and take it right to Miranda, who proved he can take a punch. He must have hit ate a couple dozen ligit KO shots, along with a lot of good shots, and some nasty body punches till he finally broke down.

Great fight, gratifying outcome. This is why I subscribe to Showtime and HBO.

Taylor-Spinks? Typical stinker. I used it as an excuse to clean some rat droppings out of my bottom kitchen cupboards (I live in an old place out in the country). When I tired of rodent crap, I would sit down and watch the Taylor-Spinks "fight." About a minute of that was all I could take before I went happily back to cleaning out rat turds. It was quite a chore, but more interesting than the Taylor fight.

Edited by: Hockaday