Here is another exceptional white college sprinter out
of Colorado State.He is a senior but only has eligibility
left to run indoors.John Woods already is the first track
all american at CSU since the 60's.He holds the 60 and
the 200 meter all time records there.He is off to a
blazing start indoors with a couple of victories.In
a race 2 wees ago,Woods came in first and Drew Morano,
only a sophmore at CSU came in 2nd.White sprinters going
1-2 in a big indoors race.I thought that wasn't possible.
Watch out for Woods and Morano this year.

speedster

Mentor
It was mentioned elsewhere that John Woods won the 60 at the Mountain West Conference Championships and he probably could have won the 200 as well but he opted not to run because of a sore achilles heel.Hopefully it's just a minor hurt.In making comparisons with all the conference championships that have taken place in the last two weeks I think the Big 12 meet stands out the most because of the high-grade of competition involved,which bodes well for Dusty Stamer although there are tough competitors in the Big East,ACC,SEC Big 10 and Pac 10 as wellJ.Probably not as much in the Mountain West,although I'm really thrilled with John Woods win.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I couldn't agree more.John Woods is probably the the
best sprinter to ever run for CSU.Here's to him having
a great season.Especially at nationals.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
John Woods won a last chance meet today in the 60 with
a time of 6.63.He looks to be in fine form for next
weekends NCAA Indoor College Championships.Good luck
to him.

speedster

Mentor
White Lightning,are you there.That's a great time for John Woods.Do you know what last chance meet that was.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It waw at the Alex Wilson Invitational.You can see the
results at the Notre Dame website or just go to
trackshark.com They always have all the latest results
from around the country.Big props to John Woods!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
John Woods pulled off a double victory in his first
outdoor race of the season.He won the 100 in a time of
10.46 and the 200 meters in 20.85!He is now running
unattached as his college track eligibility has run
out.It is a shame because he won't be able to compete
in the Outdoor Ncaa College National Championships.
Either way,he can still compete in the US Track and
Field Championships and other meets.I hope he continues
to progress and that there is a future in sprinting for
him down the road.Good luck to John Woods.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
John Woods was very good today at the Mt.Sac Relays.I
think he opened some eyes with his 10.34 in the 100 and
a 20.69 in the 200 for the 2nd fastest time.He continues
to improve and should be even stronger by the time the
summer season is here.Good luck to him.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
John Woods raced in Venezuela today and came in 4th in
a time of 10.38.It was his first race in a long time
and 1st race abroad.He has his degree already and isn't
elgible for the NCAA Championships.It looks like he is
going to give Track a try for a while.Hopefully now
that he is out of school,he can get a good coach to help
him progress a little more.It will be hard though
with out a sponser.Who knows how long he will hold out.
Good luck to him as he is an excellent sprinter.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I noticed that John Woods has qualified for the United
States Track & Field Championships in the 100 meters with
a time of 10.16.That is a incredible time.His chances of
making the team are almost impossible but running in a
meet with this kind of talent can help him to get to the
next level.Just think,he is only 17/100's of a second
from a sub 10.Keep up the good work John!

surfsider

Guru
Woods ran at the Colorade Invitational this weekend and was second in the 100(10.47) and 200(21.32). His affiliation was Nike so it looks like he might be getting a little support. Travis Picou won the 100 and the 200 going 10.46 and 20.73.

surfsider

Guru
Woods won in 10.38 at the Jack Christiansen Invitational.
Picou was second in 10.53. Wind was -0.5.

Woods won the 200 in 21.11 with a -1.7 wind.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Here's an interview with John Woods, notes how he only got serious interest from K-state and Air Force, wonder why?????

john_woods.jpg

1. You finished eighth in the 200 meters and earned All-American honors at the 2004 NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships with a time of 20.85. How has your training and preparation been since the outdoor season with the indoor season right around the corner?

After the trials, I took about two months off from running, but jumped right back into lifting immediately. Knowing that my main focus needs to be on indoor, and not a long outdoor season, I have not done as much endurance training as I would typically. Instead, my focus has been on speed, power, and explosiveness.

2. Also placing sixth in the 60 meters at the 2004 NCAA Indoor Championships with a time of 6.71, you only have indoor eligibility remaining. What are your goals and expectations for this indoor season and what will your plans be for the outdoor season since you will not be able to compete for CSU?

I know that to finish as high as I did last season, 6.71 certainly won't cut it! I am expecting the competition to be fierce, with many fast newcomers as well as a great group of returning athletes. I believe that I am capable of running much faster than my 6.69 PR, and I would most like to do this when it really counts.

3. What are some of the more important exercises you focus on in the weight room that benefits you the most on the track?

A few years back, I had great strength but too much body weight to really benefit from it! Last season, my focus was on staying lean and dropping some weight, now I have kept the excess weight off but returned to my old strength levels. I believe some of the most beneficial lifts, which are also my favorites, include:
1. Cleans, for explosivness out of the blocks
2. Squats, for overall leg strength and power
3. Hip flexing/extending lifts, for stronger knee drive and leg cycle
4. Walking lunges, develop power in forward "similar to running" motion
5. Biceps, for the beach ;)

4. Originally from Highlands Ranch, Colorado, what led you to enroll at CSU and were you recruited by other schools as well during your tenure in high school?

In high school, most of my recruiting came from football, Colorado, CSU, and a few smaller schools. The only "serious" track recruiting came from Kansas State and the Naval Academy. As the end of my senior year approached, I had not yet made a decision on where to go. It basically came down to a few schools that I had already applied and been accepted to, and which colors I thought looked better: Gold with green or gold with black? I really am not sure what made me choose CSU. I guess I like green!

5. Now that the NCAA Regional Championships have two years under its belt, what were your thoughts on the qualifying system in order to advance to the outdoor finals?

I love the regional qualifying system. Lots of people can run fast, but they can't do it head to head when it really matters. I like the idea of people really going at it to make it to nationals because I am a very competitive person, and thats when I run my best; in tough competition when it actually means something.

6. Does the Colorado State program focus much on fall testing and if so, what were some of your times and results?

Like most schools out there, we test periodically in the weight room and on the track. After our first weight cycle (guessing about 8 weeks) we maxed at one rep:
Squat - 410
Clean - 285
Bench - 280

New this year was a team-wide 400 meter time trial day. Everyone ran, with exception to the cross country team. It was great to take a break from the usual training and get a little competitive, despite the weather! 48.32h

7. Looking back on your collegiate career so far, what are some of the moments you will never forget as a student-athlete?

There is nothing like being with the team on a traveling weekend. I can't even recall all of the great times we have had together the last 4 years. Personally, I will never forget crashing over the finish line in the NCAA 200 final just to make the podium.

8. Describe a typical workout during the competition season and do you incorporate any longer sprints over 300 meters considering you are a short sprinter?

Under Coach (Tim) Cawley's workouts, I do not run over 300 meters all season. I do a lot of speed and power work all year, and incorporate some 200 speed endurance type workouts. For examples, 200-200-300-200, 200-200-150-200, and the infamous 32x100 that our team has grown to love!

9. You've been one of the regular posters on the Trackshark forums while discussing with some of the other athletes around the country. Do you consider yourself a big fan of the sport and does that feeling change when you are in the finals of a big meet such as the NCAA Championships?

I think that like many other people, during the long, difficult off-season training I often find myself questioning why I subject myself to so much pain? But, when it comes down to it, I love competing and there is no better sport than track to push yourself to the limits and battle against your competitors. I love that track is a great collection of individuals competing on their own for a common team goal.

10. Where would you like to be five years from now and do you see yourself still competing in the sport?

As much as I would enjoy to continue competing, I am battling a few injuries right now, one of which may be the deciding factor on whether I continue to compete. Another factor will be whether I can continue from a financial perspective. I know that to move to the next level will require full committment, and that can be very difficult after college. Hopefully, my first appeaance at the Olympic Trials will not be my last.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
John Woods won a race in Germany yesterday.It was run into a huge wind but he still put up a respectable time of 10.38!It's good to see John competing over seas to get some more experience.I really hope he can be competetive at the Nationals in Indy.I really think that John wants to make a career of track,but he will need to pay the bills at some point.Here's hoping that he can get a sponsor who believes in him.

On a side note,Dusty Stamer was also in this same race.He looked terrible.He ran a 10.90 and finished at the back of the pack.Hopefully,Stamer can try to get back on track and start running fast again.Edited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
John Woods won another race in Ireland today.His time was a 10.30 wind legal.Not too bad for not having much rest after the national championships.He also finished 3rd in the 200 in a time of 20.91 The one thing that I like is that Woods has been as active as almost any sprinter this summer.He is in his first full year as a pro and actually showing himself very well in the small meets.This should give him hope for the future.He might just end up suprising a few people by 2008!Keep up the good work John.

white is right

Hall of Famer
If he wants big meet experience he should do what alot of US sprinters have done(both black and white) get dual citizenship. A guy like him could be the top sprinter for a country like Ireland or be in the relay pool for a Britain or Germany. Aside the US trials which are real deep, he may never get true world experience.....

freedom1

Mentor
John Woods just got 3rd in the 100 at Aarhus. His time was 10.34 into a -0.1 wind. Nestar Carter of Jamaica was 1st in 10.31.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I was looking at the IAAF.org website under some of this seasons results in the 100 meters.I hadn't noticed that John Woods ran a wind legal 10.25 on July 14th of this year.Not bad.He seems to be locked in the 10.2 to 10.3 range.I think he can possibly take it to another level next year.He is becoming a much better sprinter than in college and that is saying alot.Keep up the good work John.He is the only US White Sprinter other than Stamer that I can think of that even races in the 100.His work ethic is incredible.We could see him suprise alot of people by 2008 if he continues his career.Good luck to him.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
John Woods has a myspace page.You guys need to check it out.His goal is to go sub 10 and kick some ass.There are some really good pics.Anyone can check them out.We need to wish him luck and encourage him.Other than Wariner & Rock,he is the only US Sprinter that is white.He is also the only 100 meter US sprinter.He has already run a 6.64 this year and that is running with a broken toe.Good luck to him.Here is the link.

http://www.myspace.com/under10Edited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
John Woods can really inspire alot of kids in this country if he can take it to another level.It is kind of exciting because now we have him and Dusty Stamer trying to continue their track careers post college.This is slight progress from what I'm used to seeing.I'm curious if Tom Green is still running too!I believe he is and that would make three.He had a major injury last year and missed the outdoor season.

It would be nice to see T.Griffen continue his career after he leaves Texas.He has some upside and we will have Jared Connaughton in the future.Here is to all of these guys having some success and staying healthy!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Woods won another race in a new p.b. of 6.60!Way to go John.He has the race posted on his myspace.It is really cool to at least have one rising star from the US in the 100 meters.Keep it up Woods!
smiley32.gif

albinosprint

Mentor
he is undefeated for the year. can't wait for the US indoor champs.