white lightning

Hall of Famer
So far,so good.Standeford has 8 catches for 98 yards with
a touchdown early in Pre-Season.He is looking like he has
a descent chance at making the team.He already has a long
catch of 25 yards.Not too bad for someone that is not
supposed to have much speed.If you need a first down,just
get the ball to him.He has the height to which makes it
very hard for corners to cover him.Keep it up John!
smiley32.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like John will have to beat out either Troy Walters, Aaron Morehead or Brad Pyatt to make the team. Harrison, Wayne and Stokley are obviously a lock, so those four guys are fighting it out for three positions. If it takes beating out Pyatt I'd be for it, because Standeford has the ability to be a very successful NFL receiver, and Pyatt has a chance to go to another team as a kick returner whereas this is probably the end of the road for Standeford if the Colts cut him. If the relatively white-friendly Colts, his hometown team, cut him, who's gonna give him a real shot?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I want it all.Why not?I think that they should cut either
Troy Walters or A.Morehead.Neither a good replacement for
Wayne after they let him go next season.Keep Pyatt at
kick & punt returns/4th receiver.Move Stokley up to the
number 2 receiver and Standeford into the number 3 spot!
Hey,a guy can wish can't he?I don't think they can afford
to keep Reggie Wayne next year.I'm almost positive that he
is gone & E.James might be gone next season too.The owner
loves Pyatt so I don't see him being cut.Standeford just
needs to keep on catching passes!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
It would be great to see Indianaplois utilizing 2 white receivers regularly. I hope it happens. Go John, knock him out John!

JD074

Master
Did anyone see that great one handed catch that Standeford made in the Colts/ Dolphins game? It was great. I saw very little of the game and got lucky with this sighting. Sure would love to see a lot more from him.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The Colts play the Broncos tonight on nat'l telivision.It
should be a great game.This game is very important for both
Standeford and Pyatt to show their stuff.Pyatt will be on the team regardless but wants to get more time at the wide receiver spot.People forget that in his rookie year 3 years ago,he was leading the nfl in kickoff returns before he got hurt.He is a very gifted athlete.Standeford had a bad game last weekend and needs to bounce back in a big way.The future next season could see one of these guys starting.
Go Colts.
smiley32.gif

Standeford played well again in the Denver game. But from the way they used him I would guess he's seventh on the depth chart and the Colts are only going to keep six.

It would be really tough if John is cut by one of the few organizations that occasionally give a white receiver a chance, especially when it's his home town team. Standeford is a very consistent receiver who can be used both as a possession receiver and as a deep threat.

I wonder if anyone ever put together a highlight reel of his big plays. His spectacular catches and long TDs would be almost as impressive as the video of Matt Jones' many great runs. Standeford is much more talented than journeymen Aaron Morehead and Troy Walters. He would make a fine second receiver for many teams. Maybe Dungy will have the scruples to cut Walters and give the NFL a team with three very capable white receivers like the Rams had for a couple seasons.

whiteCB

Master
I'll never forget the 2003 Ohio St vs Purdue match up with Fox and Standeford going up against each other the whole game. Fox won the battle and even ESP.com complemented Fox on his performance. One of those very rear BCS conference white WR vs. white CB matchups.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I should have paid more attention to the Big 10 when I was watching the SEC instead!
smiley19.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm a little worried too that they have mainly used him so late in games but he is still the leading receiver in the pre-season on his team for the young guys fighting it out.
I still believe that he will make the team and next year have alot bigger role.Wayne will be let go in my opinion despite the fact that he is a good receiver.It will come down to money just like E.James will be gone.Standeford can be an impact player for a long time in the league if they give him the chance.Go Colts!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
we'll see this week how much the Colts like him. in the last pre-season gamemost of theveterans/starters areexpected to not play much, if any. and that goes for most of the teams in the league, primarily because they don't want their main guys to get banged up before the regular season starts. so we should keep a close eye out for all the guys on the fringe that we've been rooting for...especially that running back in St. Louis and Kyle Eckel up in New England, 'cause they're about all we have at the running back spot.

nj816

Standeford was signed by Indy to the practice squad. Interestingly enough they also cut Troy Walters, so maybe he'll have a chance of being on the activeroster soon.

Other practice squad signings: Dan Sheldon-Arizona, Rob Lee-Buffalo, ScottConnot-Kansas City, Chris Samp-Pittsburgh

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I wonder why teams torture these guys.It seems like it doesn't matter if you play good or not in the pre-season.
Look at guys like Standeford and Eckel for just a couple of examples.You will still get cut or demoted to the practice squad if you are lucky.I really believe most teams already have their minds made up regardless of the results.Even if Lumsen would have played,he could have gotten 100 yards in a game but he would have been let go.I guarantee it.We are all shocked when a guy actually makes a team and even then he is burried on the depth chart.Hopefully,guys like Jones can help to make a little difference.It is really discouraging!That again is why college is at least a little better when it comes to star players.There are around eight running backs this season that are really good.That is hope for the future.