John McDermott vs. Larry Olubamiwo

Guru
Another good result from yesterday. Big John McDermott destroyed his black opponent in one round. Olubamiwo was getting a bit of hype and I presume he was the betting favourite in this one.

[TUBE]_Q9BAw4W_cs[/TUBE]

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Big John needs to get in shape. I don't get how a boxer can be so fat? Just sparring seems like it would drain the weight off of you.Edited by: jaxvid

referendum

Mentor
Mcdermott was about a 2 to 1 underdog in the fight. Boxrec moved him up 45 places in its rankings to in the 60's after his win.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I barely hit the gym and weight apx. 188 to 195 pounds on a 6' frame and I have more muscle tone than Mcdermott. That said he is a real fighter not a bodybuilder that is a tough guy like his opponent. I wish he took his conditioning seriously or got a sponsor so that he could train full time to see what he could do conditioning wise. In the first Fury fight if he was trim he probably would have stopped Fury as he seemed to hit the wall conditioning wise in that fight. Edited by: white is right

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
The above video is every negroes nightmare! That faux "African Warrior" won't be able to show his face amongst his kind anymore!

Moreso, "Big John" just KILLED the hopes and dreams of literally thousands' of young African "wannabe tough-guys." Bravo!!

[tube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ7NVjZ-Eyg[/tube]

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Although I don't advocate being a lumpy, fat, visibly out-of-shape fellow like McDermott, this was a fantastic fight! Especially after the fight lead-in, with Olubamiwo doing his best "superior black afflete" posturing, and Ice Cube "stare down" at the center-ring meeting, then turning to jell-o after a couple of good punches. Talk about a glass chin!

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
A fight does not equal a bodybuilder contest. Look at UFC/MMA fighter Roy Nelson. He has top notch BJJ & heavy hands...and cardio. Yes, being lean(er) should help cardio, but it's technique, toughness & being nasty that wins fights...not physique.

UFC HW contender Roy "Big Country" Nelson

roy_nelson_4.jpg

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
"A fight does not equal a bodybuilder contest."

Good point. McDermott and Nelson have more stamina than most of the muscle bound guys. Frank Bruno looked like a Mr. Universe but had no stamina. I think that stamina - much like speed and strength - is largely genetic. Of course, you can tweek things with good training but genes always win out.

Never judge a book by its cover. Nelson trains very hard but just does not have the body builder physique.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I would add that Fedor, Chuck Lidell, Anderson Silva, Cain Velasquez, Frankie Edgar, BJ Penn and most of the top level MMA guys have just ok physiques. Some even have small guts.

Pete Sell, Chiek Kongo, Bobby Lashley, Phil Baroni all have perfect physiques with rippling muscles. All are average to below average MMA fighters (for their level).