John Havlicek

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I just wanted to make a post about one of the games greatest players. John Havlicek scored over 26,000 points and he did it with out a 3 point line. He would probably be around 30,000 points in my opinion if it were adjusted. He also was an All Star 13 times and made all defensive team countless times. What a legend he was. Here is a short interview with him.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/12/09/havlicek-on-kobe/index.html

Hondo played the most years in the league before Kareem broke his record.
Anyone here ever watch him play live?
I was born in 1981.

pistol pete said:
Hondo played the most years in the league before Kareem broke his record.
Anyone here ever watch him play live?
I was born in 1981.

I saw him play live in 1972 against the Atlanta Hawks.

I would hate to see Paul Pierce break Hondo's team scoring record.
PP has never been a first rate player in my opinion. More of a second tier star in my opinion.
Not on the level of other Celtics greats.

If I had a Celtics starting five it would be Bob Cousy and Hondo at guard, Bird and McHale at center. Off the bench would be Paul Pierce, Sam Jones, KC Jones, Frank Ramsey (the original sixth man), Dave Cowens, Kevin Garnett, and either Rajon Rondo, Ray Allen, Bill Walton, Dennis Johnson, or Danny Ainge as the 12th man.

To me, I remember Reggie Lewis a little bit. I remember watching that playoff game on tv where collapsed. He could
have turned out to be a better player than Paul Pierce. He had Paul Pierce's talent and Kevin Garnett's warrior mentality. He would also have been part of the 1990-1995 Celtics Dynasty that never happened with Dee Brown (great athlete, knee problems, still a great talent), Reggie Lewis in the back court, Larry Bird (career ended early by back problems) and Len Bias (drug overdose) at the forwards and Robert Parrish (still going strong) at center. If they bring Dino Radja over you have him as the sixth man along with Greg Kite (who they probably keep), Brian Shaw, Kevin Gamble, Ed Pickney, and Joe Klein. Larry Bird could have then retired with six rings.

pistol pete said:
I would hate to see Paul Pierce break Hondo's team scoring record.
PP has never been a first rate player in my opinion. More of a second tier star in my opinion.
Not on the level of other Celtics greats.

If I had a Celtics starting five it would be Bob Cousy and Hondo at guard, Bird and McHale at center. Off the bench would be Paul Pierce, Sam Jones, KC Jones, Frank Ramsey (the original sixth man), Dave Cowens, Kevin Garnett, and either Rajon Rondo, Ray Allen, Bill Walton, Dennis Johnson, or Danny Ainge as the 12th man.

To me, I remember Reggie Lewis a little bit. I remember watching that playoff game on tv where collapsed. He could
have turned out to be a better player than Paul Pierce. He had Paul Pierce's talent and Kevin Garnett's warrior mentality. He would also have been part of the 1990-1995 Celtics Dynasty that never happened with Dee Brown (great athlete, knee problems, still a great talent), Reggie Lewis in the back court, Larry Bird (career ended early by back problems) and Len Bias (drug overdose) at the forwards and Robert Parrish (still going strong) at center. If they bring Dino Radja over you have him as the sixth man along with Greg Kite (who they probably keep), Brian Shaw, Kevin Gamble, Ed Pickney, and Joe Klein. Larry Bird could have then retired with six rings.

I forgot to add Kevin McHale to the early Nineties Dynasty. He would be the sixth man off the bench, forming a great backup front court duo with Dino Radja. Kevin Gamble is the backup swing man giving those Celtics a great 8 man rotation. They would have destroyed Chicago.

j41181

Master
Re-runs of the 1976 NBA Finals (games 5 & 6) are only times I get to see Havlicek in action. I also get to see other great whites like Cowens, Westphal, Adams, Van Arsdale, and Nelson in what is considered the NBA's "Greatest Game" (3OT in game 5).