Joe Mauer

Freedom

Mentor
Right now, you don't talk baseball without looking at the white sox and tigers. But what about Joe Mauer and the Twins in that Central Division. Mauer is one of the great underrated players in the game, heck since he plays catcher, I'd say he is the best player in the game.

Get this. The guy makes $400000 a year. Its funny how such a good young player doesn't earn as much as the "athletic" Rondell White(2.5 million dollars a year) who must be better than Mauer with his current .182 avg.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
I made a thread him a year ago, I knew he was going to be a good but I didn't know this good.

voice

Guru
As a twins fan here in MN , it is great watching Mauer and the Twins.

Not only do they have Mauer but Morneau just hit his 30th HR and has 101 RBI's. Torii Hunter and him got into a fight a year ago and it is so satisfying to see him hit his 30th and , while he struts around the bases proudly puffing his chest out, Torii has to be first to great him(Torii is very jealous of Morneau) and then usually strikes out with his typically terrible plate discipline
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Also, we have the very polite and respectful Michael Cuddyer, Jason Tyner, Jason Kubel starting everday with these guys. Hell, Since I am in a good mood I will throw in the obvious Mestizo Jason Bartlett..Average Sheeple would never know anyway!
smiley2.gif

To be Fair, Bartlett would pass the "kill that honkey" white test so I will cut him some slack.

All in all, I love it and I am going to the Toronto game at the dome tonight!

I am truly blessed to watch the twins.

hedgehog

Mentor
Mauer signs 4 year contract for $33 Million.

The Twins announced this morning that they have agreed to a four-year contract with catcher Joe Mauer that will carry through the 2010 season.
The contract is worth a guaranteed $33 million to Mauer, plus incentives for awards such as Most Valuable Player.

``We are pleased to have an agreement with one of Minnesota's brightest young stars,'' Twins General Manager Terry Ryan said in a statement. ``Joe has become one of the game's great young players on and off the field. He has a bright future with this organization and means a great deal to the people of Minnesota.''

Mauer, 23, became the first catcher to win an American League batting title with a .347 average in 2006. That was the highest average in the major leagues. He was named to the AL's All-Star team.

The Twins also attempted to work out a long-term deal with Justin Morneau, the AL's Most Valuable Player, but he recently signed a one-year contract.

The Twins now have avoided salary arbitration hearings with Mauer, Morneau, pitcher Juan Rincon, third baseman Nick Punto and outfielder Lew Ford. Right fielder Michael Cuddyer still has an arbitration hearing scheduled.

Mauer was the first pick in the 2001 draft out of Cretin-Derham Hall High School in St. Paul, and became eligible for arbitration this winter for the first time. He became the first catcher to lead the majors in batting average and the first AL catcher to win the batting title.

"We're extremely happy, because there is not a player who belongs with the Twins more than Joe Mauer," his agent, Ron Shapiro, said in a brief phone interview with the Associated Press this morning.

Mauer didn't immediately return phone messages from the AP.

Mauer's rookie season, 2004, was cut short by a knee injury that raised some questions about how his body could handle the physical demands of his position behind the plate. But he has been fine ever since.

Twins pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report to spring training in Fort Myers, Fla., by next Sunday. Ryan has one more player left in arbitration, right fielder and cleanup hitter Michael Cuddyer.

http://www.startribune.com/509/story/995261.html