Jesse Lumsden

white lightning

Hall of Famer
As much as I hated to see it happen,the writing was on the wall.I think it is the best thing for his career.He would have never played there anyway.I don't know why they even brought him there.All along,I said the Colts or the Rams.
Those are the two best teams for him to actually have a chance to play.Let's hope the Colts go after him!At least he got cut early enough to try to sign on with another team.I haven't given up hope yet!This kid is just too good.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Lumsden did have an injury of some kind, which gave Holmgren the opening he needed to dump him at the first opportunity.

I checked the message board at the Seahawks site and there was a thread about Lumsden being released. This is what one poster actually wrote:

"We'll see him playing in the CFL soon enough. He never seemed to grasp the U.S. game."

Typical white know nothing, and no one called him on it.

nj816

Of course not, the majority of white Seahawk fans probably didn't even know who Lumsden was. I'm surprise the guy didn't say he would be better suited for the NHL.

robcat

Guru
Black running backs and receivers getmany chances over a period of years. Lumsden never had as much as a single touch yet "never seemed to grasp the U.S. game." It would be funny if it wasnt so pathetic.

Jesses black teammates probaby resented his presence. How did he get injured? Maybe like with Stokley's shoulder it was caused by a teammate on defense.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The jealosy would be huge if Lumsden were to ever get a chance to be a starting running back & he became a star.Not
only do they not like white running backs,they really don't like ones that can get more ladies than they can.Whites are not supposed to make the touchdowns and the highlite reels.
This needs to change.We have some really good wide receivers in the nfl.Now we need some running backs to help pave the way for the future.I still think Lumsden will get
a chance some where.Probably the Colts or Rams.We shall see.I will be watching alot of college football this season because there are around 4-8 teams with starting white running backs that could make a huge impact eventually in the nfl if they can succeed.
smiley32.gif

Another thing to keep in mind is that Lumsden played for what is basically equal to a Division III school and that's all the excuse the 'big college' snobs need.

Actually if I remember correctlyLumsden did recieve offers from several American schools but they all wanted him to convert to another position. (The Caste System at work again!) So he went to McMaster because they would let him play RB.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the article:

Lumsden ponders career options
<DIV id=author style="FONT-SIZE: 1em">
By DAN RALPH
Friday, August 26, 2005 Page S6
Canadian Press
<DIV id=article style="FONT-SIZE: 1em; MIN-HEIGHT: 0px; HEIGHT: auto">
<TABLE =image id=firstBannerTable>
<T>
<TR>
<TD ="textAdCon textAd" style="DISPLAY: none" width=120></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<DIV ="big ad">Jesse Lumsden is now playing a waiting game.

The former McMaster University star running back is in British Columbia this week, getting over the disappointment of being released by the National Football League's Seattle Seahawks on Tuesday.

Lumsden's father, Neil, said yesterday his son is taking a few days to mull over his football options.

"I know he needs a few days by himself and he's taking that now," the elder Lumsden said. "The thing is there are a lot of options for him and there might be some great ones.
<DIV ="s ad">

Advertisements
<DIV =spacer>
spacer.gif

<DIV class=imgInsert>
AdletCounterad1=wallace_woGolf_14641656

<DIV =spacer>
spacer.gif

<DIV class=imgInsert>
AdletCounterad1=pei_120x120_16939438

"There may be some in the NFL with teams that showed an interest before [Lumsden signed with Seattle] that might still have an interest. It's being patient for a few days to see what happens.

"He doesn't have to rush to do anything right now. He needs to get his head back to where it was before and he will."

Lumsden won the Hec Crighton Trophy last year as Canada's outstanding university player after rushing for 1,816 yards and scoring 21 touchdowns in his final year at McMaster. After being bypassed in the NFL draft, Lumsden signed as a free agent with Seattle.

That didn't deter the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, who selected Lumsden in the first round (sixth overall) of the Canadian Football League's college draft after he signed with Seattle.

Lumsden quickly settled in Seattle, attending the club's off-season workouts as well as three mini-camps before reporting for the start of training camp last month.

Despite that, though, the 6-foot-2, 228-pound native of Burlington, Ont., faced long odds with Seattle, which brought nine running backs into camp. Included was starting tailback Shaun Alexander, fullback Mack Strong, Maurice Morris and Toronto native Kerry Carter.

As an undrafted free agent, Lumsden was in the unenviable situation of having to impress the Seahawks brass while having limited repetitions in camp.

Compounding matters was Lumsden, 23, missing about two weeks with a hip injury sustained in a scrimmage when he was dragged down from behind by a defensive lineman. Several observers said it looked similar to the tackle that broke Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens's ankle last year.

The timing of the injury was bad because at the time key members of Seattle's running back corps were hurting. Alexander wasn't on the field because of a hamstring problem, while main backup Morris was also battling a wonky hamstring.

So that meant the door was open for a player like Lumsden to get more reps and more opportunities to impress, just like he did at the 2005 East-West Shrine Bowl. Lumsden got into that college all-star game in the second half, rushing eight times for 41 yards, including a 21-yard scamper, to emerge as the East's leading rusher in their 45-27 victory.

Still, Lumsden recovered and was in uniform Monday night for Seattle's 18-10 exhibition loss to the Dallas Cowboys. Earlier that day, Neil Lumsden said Seahawks officials assured his son that he would see some game action, but he spent the entire contest on the sidelines. The next day, he was released.

"He didn't get a carry in a preseason game and the question I have is, then how do you know?" Neil Lumsden said. "I was at the game and when I didn't see him on special teams and a couple other things, I wasn't feeling really good about it.

"What's sticking in Jesse's craw, more than anything, is getting back, being told Monday that he was going to play and get a chance and he stands on the sidelines and never gets a sniff," he said.

Jesse Lumsden can pursue opportunities in the NFL safe in the knowledge that at least he has a place to land in Hamilton. And while the Tiger-Cats are struggling (0-8), head coach Greg Marshall, who coached Lumsden for four years at McMaster, says he wants what's best for the player.

"I'm disappointed for Jesse, I'd like to see him get a shot," Marshall said. "I've known him for a long time and am a friend of the family.

"But I'm also coach of the Tiger-Cats and I see it as a chance for him here."

I myself have watched the boards here as a silent observer here since
finding it online last year and am now a firm believer in the blatantly
racisist practices of the NFL .

Jessie Lumsden is the preverbial nail in the coffin
for the NFL and any naysayers who would doubt the caste system at work
here

Kaptain

Master
Hey castefootballer welcome to the site. How did you stumble onto the site? What views did you have these topics before you came to this site?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
castefootballer said:
I myself have watched the boards here as a silent observer here since finding it online last year and am now a firm believer in the blatantly racisist practices of the NFL .
Jessie Lumsden is the preverbial nail in the coffin for the NFL and any naysayers who would doubt the caste system at work here

It's amazingly blatant, isn't it? And anyone who earns his living from the Caste System who points it out will find his livelihood instantly ended and his name and reputation smeared as a warning to anyone else who contemplates stepping out of line.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
You make a very valid point Don.They just refuse to back down off the slotting that goes on.Too many Matt Jones could ruin everything.They just can't have it.What we need more than anything is for a guy like Lumsden to make a team that will allow him to start for at least a season.This seems like the impossible dream.When will it ever happen.
It is enough to just about make me give up watching the NFL forever.Even College isn't as bad although they are close.
I will root on all of the white running backs,cornerbacks and receivers as always and hope they get a shot to play someday on Sundays.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
has Craig James ever said anything about this? he's the last truly featured white tailback in the NFL. he even made the Pro Bowl, despite not being the same runner that he was in college because of knee injuries. you would think he could say something and people would listen...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
If he said something, he would get the exact same, unanimously negative reception from the powers-that-be that Rush Limbaugh received when he made his comments about Donovan McNabb and black quarterbacks. James would lose his job and be permanently exiled from any type of broadcasting position forever.

Change, if it comes,will come from grassroots pressure, from the bottom up, not the other way around.

nj816

Who knows for sure if James feels this way, anyway, I'm sure he knows better than to speak out against the system or he could kiss his broadcast career goodbye.

I consider myself an optimistic individual, but when it comes to seeing white athletes getting the opportunity to play tailback and cornerbackin the NFLI'm a true pessimist.

It would take a white athlete with out of this world talent to break down the walls. I thought LukeStaley would be that guy but the system even shot him down. With so few players getting a chance even at the high school level, IthinkI may not see a starting white tailback in theNFL duringmy lifetime.

P.S. I'm currently 40 years old.

I found your messageboard while venting my frustration at the current
system, after having been a standout RB in Ohio in High School and
seeing firsthand the racist recruitment process at the college level.

Edited by: castefootballer

white lightning

Hall of Famer
That doesn't suprise me or anyone else here.We gladly welcome you to the board.It is a sad time in the US when
time & time again,athletes are screwed over.It is just not fair and something has to be done about it.You are a great addition to the board and you can speak from your experience.If you are still that young,you should not give up your dream unless you choose to.It might not be too late but I understand that it is a uphill battle.Either way,if nothing else,help us to change what is going on out there.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It really pisses me off that not one team has showed an interest in either Lumsden or Forsey since they were cut.
They can't even make a practice squad and they both are healthy.What is wrong with these owners.I would think that if a team had the balls to start a white running back,the ratings for that team would be incredible as long as he was good.Can you imagine how many people would watch just out of curiosity.Look at how popular the Dallas Mavericks were a couple of years ago.I wonder why?Maybe because they had alot more players that look like us.You think!Of course alot of people would like to watch a football team that is similar.

Just an update on Lumsden here.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story.asp?ID=135612&hubName=cfl

Report: Ticats negotiating with Lumsden

TSN.ca Staff

9/7/2005 2:36:16 PM

According to a report on MOJO Radio 730 in Vancouver, former McMaster Marauder running back Jesse Lumsden has begun negotiating a contract with the Hamilton Tiger Cats.

Lumsden, 23, was drafted 6th overall by the Ticats this year and was recently cut from the NFL's Seattle Seahawks after missing much of training camp with a hip injury.

Lumsden had wanted to explore other opportunities in the NFL before coming to the CFL, and it appears that negotiations have begun in earnest, with both sides submitting contract proposals.

While not expecting to have Lumsden in the lineup for this week's game against Toronto, Hamilton is hopeful that Lumsden will be in uniform for next week's contest against the Calgary Stampeders.

At 6-foot-2, 228 pounds, Lumsden has rare size and speed for a Canadian running back and he won the Hec Creighton Trophy last year as Canada's outstanding university player rushing for more than 1,800 yards and scoring a CIS-record 21 touchdowns.

With Troy Davis currently starting in the Tiger Cats' backfield, Lumsden would figure to see time as a kick returner in addition to spelling Davis offensively.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This makes me sick.He is 23 already so if he plays a few years up in the CFL he can forget about the NFL.His only chance was to make at least a practice squad now.This is a horrible move for his career but you can't blame him for taking the money.If Canada offered to make me a millionaire,I would probably jump at it too.The NFL really sucks.Maybe we should watch more of the CFL.Josh Ranek is kicking ass up there and now Lumsden will be too.I wish him the best but I hope he can some how only sign a one year contract so he can have 1 last shot at the NFL.
smiley2.gif