Jared Connaugton runs 10.15!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I just wanted to give some more pub to Jared who just ran a 10.15 wind legal at the Texas Arlington Meet. It was mentioned in another thread but wasn't really commented on. He deserves alot of credit for the hard work & training it has taken to get to this level. He also finished 2nd in the 200 meters in the same meet.

Question for the board. Do any of you guys think that Jay Conn has a chance to go sub 10? It's only one race but it only May and that is very fast. I will have to see him run in that range several more times so I will reserve my decision at the moment. He needs to prove that he can consistantly run in that range before I can consider him going to the next level.

Just wanted to get some topic on the fastest white sprinter in the world at the moment.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I may not know enough about this fellow to give an opinion. First off how old is he? It was not listed in the other thread.

However, this kid seems like he might be even more consistent than Pickering. Jared was constantly winning events last year and looks to be continuing the trend this season.

Also Jared doesn't have an injury issue like Dallas Robinson, Michael LeBlanc and Craig Pickering have had. Training and running the 100 at an elite level is tougher on the body without steroids.
smiley18.gif
From the looks of these guy's builds I don't think any of them are juicing, although this guy is a little more suspect than Robinson and Pickering to me.

It really depends on Jared's age to me for how fast his improvement curve would be. If this kid is 20 or 21 (where you're normally not even done growing yet), I would say yes he could go sub 10 this season. If he's 23 or 24, I'd say he could get close; maybe into the mid 10.0xs. Good luck to Jared, maybe he'll be the first sub 10 white man!
smiley4.gif

albinosprint

Mentor
I think its totally possible. 10.15 this early in the season is great. if he stays healthy, I could see him dropping a 10 flat. if he makes the Canadian team for the Olympics and keeps his head right, he could dip under 10.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Jared is good but he far from being more consistant than Pickering. Craig ran a in the 10.15 range 3 or 4 times last season. Even with no wind and on a rainy, wet track. Craig would have easily ran in the 10.05 range with a good tail wind.

This is the first time for Jared to run in this range. Winning races in the 10.30 - 10.40 range doesn't count due to the weaker competition he faced. I am rooting for Jared but he has to get his times alot lower on a regular basis.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I thought Jared had gone sub 10.3 many times. I guess I'm wrong. Pickering started off really well last season, but then let down at the end of the outdoor season, but it was probably due to his injury issue. How old is this Jared kid though?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Jared will turn 23 this July. So he is not that old yet. I'm pretty sure his p.b. in the 100 was a 10.28 before this year. He has alot of talent but has usually focused more on the deuce. I belive his best there is in the 20.59 range or so approx. Let's see how this summer shapes up.

As for Pickering, he will open up later this month. He has not raced outdoors yet. I'm anxious to see how he fares. He burned himself out last season in my opinion. He just ran way too many races indoors & outdoors. That is why he peaked very early, went down hill and got injured in the middle of the summer. I expect him to get at least into the 10.00 - 10.05 range this summer. He will be 22 in November.
Edited by: white lightning

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
I got my hopes up when Matt Shirvington ran a 10.03, and I got my hopes up again when Morne Nagel ran a 10.14.

I'm going to hope for this new guy too, but I'm hoping just as hard that sprinters all over the world will realize that when they inject themselves with drugs it makes every recorded time irrelevant.

In my book, Shirvo's clean 10.03 was the real winner in a race against cheaters and liars.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I loved Shirvo too. I still would love to see him make one last effort to get back to world class but realistically it is too late.

Don't forget that Nic Macrozonaris ran a 10.03 too a few years back. It was in a race in Mexico and he has never come close since.

I would say that Matt Shirvington has been the closest to a pure, world class 100 meter sprinter that we have come in the last decade. He has multiple sub 10.10 times!

As for current sprinters, my money is on Pickering. He already has a p.b. of 10.13 and he is only 21 years of age. If he can just stay healthy, he should go where Shirvo dreamed about. I just hope that I don't somehow jinx him. Too many of our favorite sprinters are going down with serious injuries.

Freedom

Mentor
All of these guys have or had a chance to go sub-10, but the key word is chance. Everyone whose gone sub-10 fairly consistently has juiced. A clean 100 meter time is a very rare thing, if it has ever happened.Edited by: Freedom

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
Should we consider Valerie Borzov a cheater? He had some devastating wins in the 70s, and in terms of technique he was like a textbook.

I wonder if he took drugs to go faster.

I wonder also if Matt Shirvington's best run (10.03) is that much slower than the best Mo Greene could have gone, had the latter chosen not to be a despicable fraud. Maybe Greene would barely do a 9.9

guest301

Hall of Famer
GiovaniMarcon said:
Should we consider Valerie Borzov a cheater? He had some devastating wins in the 70s, and in terms of technique he was like a textbook.

I wonder if he took drugs to go faster.

I wonder also if Matt Shirvington's best run (10.03) is that much slower than the best Mo Greene could have gone, had the latter chosen not to be a despicable fraud. Maybe Greene would barely do a 9.9

He might not even do a 9.9. drug free. I think a sustained intake of steriods over a long period of time can add up to as much as .2 to.5 seconds of your 100 meter dash time. Flo Joe ran a 10.49 all roided up and no one has come within .4 seconds of that since, not even the roided up Marion Jones.

freedom1

Mentor
This article was posted on Track and Field News today.

Jared Connaughton insists he isn't haunted by ghosts as he eyes the 2008 Olympic Games later this summer in Beijing, China.
In fact, said the 23-year old New Haven native, a nightmarish baton drop in an international 4x100-metre relay race last year in Japan made him a better sprinter. The bumble at the IAAF world athletics championships in Osaka which cost Team Canada, considered medal worthy, a chance at the podium and left the team dead last.
"I'd just turned 22 and I had an opportunity in front of the entire track and field world, in front of 90,000 people, and I made a mistake and my team suffered because of the mistake. After the race . . . I fessed up and I said 'I saw the baton, I reached for it and I didn't present my hand correctly'. We didn't get the hand-off right. At that level it has to be perfect or damn close to perfect in order to be competitive," said Connaughton in a recent interview from Arlington, Texas.
Maybe his post-race admission to relay mates Richard Adu-Bobie, Anson Henry and Neville Wright exorcised the spirit immediately and didn't allow it to fester.
Whatever the reason, it's working. Proof lies in a personal and Canada-best 10.15 run in the 100-metre sprint at a track meet recently in Texas.
It's a big number, opening doors to professional races internationally and fixing Connaughton on the Olympic Games radar. A 10.21 is the A standard time the International Olympic Committee requires for Games qualification.
If he maintains that norm through several planned pro races this year leading up to July's Canadian track and field championships in Windsor, Ont., then running for Team Canada on the world's largest track stage in Beijing is likely.
His 10.15 also countered thoughts he would disappear.
"A lot of people said 'this guy's going to go under a rock and he's never going to show his face again'. But I said 'you know what? I'm going to take this failure or whatever you want to call it and I'm going to grow as an athlete from it'," said Connaughton. "Really it's a blessing in disguise because a lot of athletes don't get that opportunity to begin with and they don't get that chance to redeem themselves."
Redemption comes in other forms, too. He's a pro runner now following a strong running career the University of Texas at Arlington â€â€￾ he graduated with an anthropology degree â€â€￾ and recently signing with Top Elite Management, a Canadian sports marketing firm. He trains at UTA with coach Monte Stratton.
The time also plants him near the big-money circuits like the Golden League, which generally pits the world's best track athletes against each other in European stops such as London, Brussels, Zurich and Rome.
Prize money and appearance fees are negotiated depending upon results in other races and, of course, speed â€â€￾ because people will pay to watch other people run fast.
Top runners in the 1990s like Canada's Donovan Bailey and Maurice Green earned thousands of dollars per appearance. Asafa Powell, the current 100-metres world record holder at 9.74, banked $250,000 after winning six Golden League events in 2006.
Connaughton, who has run in a few indoor races in Europe, admits he's not Powell-ish yet, but the Texas result should raise a few eyebrows and spur on improvement.
"After this 10:15 I think my bargaining options have really opened up because that's a fast time no matter where you run it. The faster you go, the better you finish, the bigger the meet, the bigger the payout," he said, "But right now money isn't necessarily a driving factor. It's more about consistency, quality and peaking and being ready at the right time."
In Windsor, he's entered in the 100-metres and 200-metres, but will decide on-site whether to run the 200. The 4x100-metre Olympic relay squad team is selected on placing at the nationals, but he's confident there is a spot for him after making the team for Osaka and the silver medal-winning squad at the 2007 Pan American Games.
And maybe he's not tormented by those pesky phantoms because he's just outrunning them. And that's not such a bad thing.
"I've really become a very efficient, very technical runner and I think that that causes consistency and having a breakout performance."

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I just wanted to bump Jareds thread back to towards the top. He will race against Usain Bolt in Canada next weekend. I'm hoping for a new p.b. in the deuce. I want to see him get closer to 20 seconds.

Maybe Macrozonaris will race as well. Haven't heard anything about him yet.

Michael LeBlanc is taking the rest of the year off like Shane Crawford to try and get healthy. Shane had hamstring problems all season and that is why his times were not there from what I've been told. Michael is not fully back into form after the major back injury. I expect both of these guys to bounce back in a big way next season at Purdue and Syracuse.

JayConn has got to be pumped up. About to race the fastest man in the world. Let's go Jared!

StarWars

Mentor
The only competitive white sprinter West of the Atlantic Ocean. And nobody has a problem with that...

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I think you forgot about Jeremy Wariner because the 400 is also a sprint. Over 100 & 200, you are correct my friend. JayConn is a beast!

StarWars

Mentor
How could I forget Jeremy, lol? The Canadian record in the 200 is 20.11. JayConn has run 20.34 and I exppect him to lower it this year. Maybe vs. Bolt...

albinosprint

Mentor
that race should bring J-CON a PR. I hope Macro is there in the mix.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Speaking of Jared Connaughton, we are forgetting about his best friend & fellow Canadain Sprinter Jarid Vaughan. This kid is just as good. He has run a 10.23 in college wind legal this year and followed it up with the fastest 200 time for anyone in college(20.47)! All I can say is wow. What are the odds of two white kids from Canada both going to Univ Texas Arlington and setting the track world on fire. You have to give this college credit for beliving in these kids. Too many other colleges would have never given them the chance.

Here is the link. Hopefully Vaughan will be in the race with Bolt as well. Although with his schedule, it might not be possible. Whites can't run but yet we have the fastest 200 guy in all of college!

http://www2.canada.com/langleyadvance/news/sports/story.html?id=3198d55c-e0b4-4ca4-884b-ca164707d297Edited by: white lightning

StarWars

Mentor
I love both of these guys. I'm feeling a 20.22 from Connaughton versus Bolt. Bolt will probably get 19.5 orsomething rediculous...

Maple Leaf

Mentor
There seems to be many, many sprinters both white and black that sometime get down to 10.10 - 10.20. Now with the right chemical coctail and hard training they should drop below the 10..., right?

StarWars

Mentor
Because of the lack of white sprinters I can only name like 10 who can go under 10.20 this year at the most. Schwab, Pickering, Unger, Blum, Lemaitre, Collio, Di Gregorio, Cerutti. Most good whites like wariner are 400m runners, and white people who cannot run the 400 are usually systematically shunned and ignored in track. The odds that out of this small group of good white sprinters there will be a sub 10 is small, but I think they'll pull it off. Definitely Lemaitre, Cerutti, and Pickering if he gets his head straight. Steroids help, but for every 5 white sprinters there are 500 blacks. The roiding countries are US, Jamaica, GB, and Greece anyway. So none of these guys take roids is my bet. If any of them do it would be the Italians.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
We shall see what JayConn does today. He races Bolt in the 100.
Yes it is another midweek(Thursday Race) in Canada. Wonder how
the weather will be. Hope he gets a new p.b.