J.J. Watt

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Watt had a monster senior year. Like many white defensive linemen, he has a complete set of tools athletically, and also a motor that never stops. Watt will bean NFL starter, no doubt in my mind!

<DIV id=line_info>
<H1 id=article-title Vc="30">DE J.J. Watt Will Forgo Senior Season at Wisconsin and Enter 2011 NFL Draft</H1>
<DIV id=author-info-area>
<DIV ="user">By
<DIV jQuery1294529664416="42" ="article-author-">Chris Faig (Featured Columnist) on January 6, 2011
<DIV id=line_>
<DIV id=article-stats-info>

228 reads

0 comments
0 likes <?: prefix = fb ns = "http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml" /><a href="http%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Farticles%2F564878-de-jj-watt-will-forgo-senior-season-at-wisconsin-and-enter-2011-nfl-draft" target="_blank"><a href="http%253A%252F%252Fbleacherreport.com%252Farticles%252F564878-de-jj-watt-will-forgo-senior-season-at-wisconsin-and-enter-2011-nfl-draft&amp;layout=standard&amp;locale=en_US&amp;node_type=link&amp;ref=article_top&amp;sdk=joey&amp;show_faces=false&amp;width=310" target="_blank"></FB:LIKE>
<DIV id==article-page>
<DIV id=article-gradient>
<a href="http%253A%252F%252Fbleacherreport.com%252Farticles%252F564878-de-jj-watt-will-forgo-senior-season-at-wisconsin-and-enter-2011-nfl-draft&amp;layout=standard&amp;locale=en_US&amp;node_type=link&amp;ref=article_top&amp;sdk=joey&amp;show_faces=false&amp;width=310" target="_blank">

<DIV id=must-reads ="analytics no-photos">
<DIV ="s">Junior Defensive End J.J. Watt has announced that he has decided to enter the 2011 NFL Draft instead of returning to Wisconsin for one more season with the Badgers.

An open letter was written by Watt to Wisconsin fans and students, and was posted on the school's official website reading, "At this time, I have made the decision to enter the 2011 NFL Draft.

"It has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember to play in the National Football League, and through hard work and dedication, that dream finally has a chance to become a reality. This has, without a doubt, been one of the most difficult decisions of my life, and it is one that was not reached quickly, or easily."

Watt began his collegiate football career as a tight end at Central Michigan in 2007, but has quickly flourished into one of the most dominating defense ends in the nation, helping the Wisconsin Badgers win their first Big Ten championship since 1999.

Showing his loyalty for the University, Watt went on to say, "I will be a Wisconsin Badger for life and am forever grateful for all of the love and support that the fans, administration and community have shown to my family and I during my time in Madison. I could not have asked for better coaches to play for, better teammates to play alongside, or a better fan base to represent throughout my collegiate career."

This season J.J. Watt was an absolute best, recording a total of 62 tackles, seven sacks, two forced fumbles and one interception. Watt was also ranked third overall in the nation in tackles for losses, with 21.

Watt received the 2010 Lott Trophy which honors the on-field performance and personal character among defensive players, and is projected to be selected within the first two rounds of the 2011 NFL Draft. Watt has the dedication and skill set to be an immediate factor on any NFL team and has the potential be one of the most dominant defensive players in the National Football League.Edited by: celticdb15

Highlander

Mentor
celticdb15 said:
This season J.J. Watt was an absolute beast, recording a total of 62 tackles, seven sacks, two forced fumbles and one interception. Watt was also ranked third overall in the nation in tackles for losses, with 21. <div><div id="=article-page"><div id="article-gradient">

Watt received the 2010 Lott Trophy which honors the on-field performance and personal character among defensive players, and is projected to be selected within the first two rounds of the 2011 NFL Draft. Watt has the dedication and skill set to be an immediate factor on any NFL team and has the potential be one of the most dominant defensive players in the National Football League.
And yet I think it was BSPN's McGhay that has him listed as only the 8th best DE going into the draft. No surprise there, considering he didn't even have Gerhart in his top 5 RBs. If Watt isn't taken until the second round, it'll be another miscarriage of justice, but a steal for whatever team takes him. Elway has mentioned bringing back "integrity, on and off the field", for Denver, and everyone knows they need help on defense, but the speculation is that they will take Fairly with their first pick, someone who surely isn't known for integrity with all of his late-hit personal fouls and other shenanigans.
</div></div></div>Edited by: Highlander

White Power

Mentor
I think Watt goes in the 1st round because guys like Matthews,Hawk, Cushing ,Babin among others have opened the door for white defensive lineman and linebackers.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Todd McGay doesn't control where prospects get selected, but.. several NFL teams' would rather select black bums at DE/DT, rather than vastly superior White men.

There's a long history of this.. Jared Allen, Aaron Kampman, Travis Hall, Kyle Williams, etc.

I don't buy the excuse that, "oh, but, Jared Allen went to Idaho State." Well, DeMarcus Ware went to Troy (not exactly a powerhouse team or conference), but that didn't "hurt his stock"... Edited by: Deadlift

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Im hoping the Pats draft him in the first round, he would be a perfet 3-4 DE

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Leonardfan said:
Im hoping the Pats draft him in the first round, he would be a perfet 3-4 DE

You are getting at something very important.. sometimes it's better to "fall some" in the Draft if that leads to you landing on a better team.

You can then possibly get "more spotlight" (and a playoff berth) compared to the "supamen" taken in the Top 10 of the draft.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I wish J.J. a long, injury free career as a defensive starter in the NFL!

backrow

Hall of Famer
From rotoworld:
J.J. Watt (DL) - College Player

(Tue, Feb 8 - 9:52 am ET)

Appearing on NFL Network's Total Access Monday night, NFL Network's Mike Mayock raved about Wisconsin DE J.J. Watt.
"I just watched him on tape today against TCU in the Rose Bowl," said Mayock. "He's a beast. He's a first-round pick." Mayock moved Watt to the top of his draft board among 3-4 defensive ends, ranking Watt ahead of Cameron Jordan and Cameron Heyward. Watt is certainly the best pure pass rusher of the group.
Source: NFL.com

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I've heard talks that the Packers may trade up to draft Watt! If not I hope the Pats snag him.

snow

Mentor
I dont know, it would be nice to see him on a 4-3 team, I think his stats would look better playing DE in the 4-3, he has the athleticism to play either side even though he is 292 pounds. Mario Williams weighs more than him, and Peppers is only 8 pounds lighter. They are just trying to switch him to the 3-4 so he will put up less stats and more grunt work.

In the 3-4, the linemen are more there to free up things for the linebackers, not as much of a pass rusher

in the 4-3 its more about beating your blocks with whatever speed, technique and power you have (and Watt has a lot of all of those things), basically the lineman are generally meant to penetrate the offensive line, get to the
ball carrier or sack the drop-back passer.while in the 3-4 is more about reading and reacting, hesitating that crucial moment to see where the play is headed and then flow to it, and like I said more about freeing up the linebackers to make a play.

Simply put, 4-3 is more stat friendly for a DE. Reggie White was a similar size and played LDE in a 4-3, although Watt would still be a beast in a 3-4. I would just prefer him to go to a team that runs the 4-3.

Edited by: snow

warhawk46

Guru
He is from the town just east of where I live, literally five minutes away. Big-time player in high school. Outstanding athlete.<div>
</div><div>He will have a long, productive career in the NFL and, I predict, make a few Pro Bowls before he is done.</div>

mattharper

Guru
I was reading The Sporting News' 2011 draft preview and someone commented that JJ Watt makes most of his plays through " effort". What the bloody hell. So a wide receiver runs down the field and the ball magically is thrown and lands in their hands because to put up your hands and catch a ball would take " effort". Just another sports euphemism to make a white player look unathletic. Isint all sports about effort? Also would you rather have a 4.5 forty guy who can catch the ball as opposed to a 4.4 receiver who drops a third of his passes?