Irish John Duddy

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I watched Duddy beat an old veteran journeyman fighter named Coleman on Friday Night Fights. Duddy, Irish, is white, Coleman, black.

Of course, if you were blind and couldn't actually WATCH the fight, you would still have been able to tell who was the black fighter and who the white. Despite Duddy beating the holy crap out of Coleman for 8 rounds, winning by KO in Round 8, the announcers constantly harped that Duddy was too "stiff" and fought too "upright," and prognosticated that if "only Coleman would let his hands go" he'd catch Duddy with some hard shots and maybe change the course of the fight.

I guess it never dawned on them that Coleman didn't "let his hands go" cause he was getting his ass handed to him. Nor did Duddy fight "upright." As a matter of fact, he had great style, hands up, chin tucked, slight roll of the shoulders forward, leaning in slightly. Coleman was more upright than was Duddy! But then again maybe thats because Duddy kept moving him around like a punching bag.

I was getting pissed off at the pub just listening to these guys. The best comment Duddy received all night was from Pernell Whitaker, who at ringside said that if Duddy developed a jab (which I admit he is lacking) he'd be a complete fighter. Thats good praise, and more accurate a comment than those made by the corporate media shills calling the fight.
smiley18.gif

G

White Shogun said:
I watched Duddy beat an old veteran journeyman fighter named Coleman on Friday Night Fights. Duddy, Irish, is white, Coleman, black.

Of course, if you were blind and couldn't actually WATCH the fight, you would still have been able to tell who was the black fighter and who the white. Despite Duddy beating the holy crap out of Coleman for 8 rounds, winning by KO in Round 8, the announcers constantly harped that Duddy was too "stiff" and fought too "upright," and prognosticated that if "only Coleman would let his hands go" he'd catch Duddy with some hard shots and maybe change the course of the fight.

I guess it never dawned on them that Coleman didn't "let his hands go" cause he was getting his ass handed to him. Nor did Duddy fight "upright." As a matter of fact, he had great style, hands up, chin tucked, slight roll of the shoulders forward, leaning in slightly. Coleman was more upright than was Duddy! But then again maybe thats because Duddy kept moving him around like a punching bag.

I was getting pissed off at the pub just listening to these guys. The best comment Duddy received all night was from Pernell Whitaker, who at ringside said that if Duddy developed a jab (which I admit he is lacking) he'd be a complete fighter. Thats good praise, and more accurate a comment than those made by the corporate media shills calling the fight.
smiley18.gif
Duddy beating some bum is news ? . Duddy is still being fed a steady diet of bums which is normal at his carreer stage but he has'nt done anything to be noticed yet and without a jab he gets beaten when he moves from bums to fringe contenders and ranked fighters.Edited by: fistfighter

White_Savage

Mentor
What a bunch of crap faux-fighter, last night's Coleman wasn't a guy you can beat by shadow-boxing. Like I say, you claim not to have a racial agenda, but every white fighter/athlete you look for an excuse to tear down.

Anyway, Teddy Atlas, racial issues aside, should be kicked in the ass till his nose bleeds. I mean, he may or may not be racist, but if you don't win in a style he likes, he acts like you're the loser.

White_Savage

Mentor
Then again, when Sanchez fought Simonyan later that night, he was using all kinds of wild, loophing shots. Did we hear Teddy Atlas saying "no form to those punches whatsoever" as he did another fighter earlier in the evening? Nah, the only commentary was "whatever works"

Hmmmm.....

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Duddy beating some bum is news ? . Duddy is still being fed a steady diet of bums which is normal at his carreer stage but he has'nt done anything to be noticed yet and without a jab he gets beaten when he moves from bums to fringe contenders and ranked fighters.

I could go back and quote the hundreds of posts you've made defending this exact same statement, i.e. that boxers are supposed to fight bums, thats the way boxing is, blah blah blah as long as it pertains to black fighters.

I could but I won't, because getting into any kind of discussion with you is pointless. You never address the points made in counterargument, you take things out of context, and basically reuse the same arguements over and over again, regardless if it has anything to do with the issue in debate.

I could, but I won't.

G

White Shogun said:
Duddy beating some bum is news ? . Duddy is still being fed a steady diet of bums which is normal at his carreer stage but he has'nt done anything to be noticed yet and without a jab he gets beaten when he moves from bums to fringe contenders and ranked fighters.

I could go back and quote the hundreds of posts you've made defending this exact same statement, i.e. that boxers are supposed to fight bums, thats the way boxing is, blah blah blah as long as it pertains to black fighters.

I could but I won't, because getting into any kind of discussion with you is pointless. You never address the points made in counterargument, you take things out of context, and basically reuse the same arguements over and over again, regardless if it has anything to do with the issue in debate.

I could, but I won't.
Where did i contradict myself i said Duddy is fed a diet of bums WHICH IS APPROPIATE AT THIS STAGE OF HIS CARREER.

I stand by my comment that the lack of a jab is gonna be a major problem for him once he moves past the bum fighting stage. He should be using his early fights to hone his jab since that is the major flaw in his arsenal so that when he progresses to fighting fringe contenders and ranked fighters he will at least have improved his arsenal a bit.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
LOL I actually agree with you, fits. Duddy would be a much better fighter if he improves his jab.

It just annoys me that the shills calling the fight can't find anything decent to say about a guy who's only lack is a decent jab. If he were black they would have talked about his defense, power shots, awesome left hook, etc. The only positive thing they said about Duddy was that he works the body, and again Pernell Whitaker was the one who pointed that out.

moose

Guru
atlas is very prejudiced against white fighters, duddy is a very good prospect and should go far

White_Savage

Mentor
Shogun:
As I say, you only had to watch the later fight, when a dazed-looking and cut-by-a-headbutt Simoyan was being defeated by Sanchez's wild swings, Atlas's only commentary was along the lines of "unorthodox, but effective." While Malachy Farrell was knocking out a *******, who admittedly had no business fighting, Atlas was all about saying "No form on those punches whatsoever", even though he was throwing his hands alot straighter than Sanchez's hay-maker stuff. And wouldn't it have been more appropriate to rag on the defensive skills of the guy who was getting KTFO?

dkr77

Guru
Did anyone else notice Pernell Whitakers' slurred speach. It won't be long and he will need to wear a bib like ali.

White_Savage

Mentor
Yes, Pernell's mind does seem clouded. I don't know whether it's pugilistic dementia or drug abuse. A pity in either case.

Teddy Atlas works out at the same Gym as Myself.Teddy and I had a heated discussion which turned into a heated debate about the Klitschko Brothers and we almost went at it.This guy is a racist bigot to the extreme.

G

onewarrior5 said:
Teddy Atlas works out at the same Gym as Myself.Teddy and I had a heated discussion which turned into a heated debate about the Klitschko Brothers and we almost went at it.This guy is a racist bigot to the extreme.
Sure you did.

fistfighter said:
onewarrior5 said:
Sure you did.

You are entitled to your own opinion,but i stand by what i said.

kevin

Guru
I am not to high on this guy he tries to brawl to much and thejab is reallythemost critical punch you can have, It both works for offense and defense this guys lookedlike a small lance whitiker.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Duddy TKO'd Canadian fighter, Byron Mackie, in the 4th round by ref stoppage. Duddy's record is 13-0, 12 KOs.

speedster

Mentor
A St.Paddy's Day win for Duddy.He knocked down Pudwell three times inside of two minutes and that was that.Yeah,I know he didn't beat anyone of note,but this was a showcase fight and he did his part.I'll get more excited when he moves up in competition.

Gary

Mentor
I like Duddy. Hope he does real well in boxing. I couldn't care less about Rahman vs.Toney however. Rahman has been ducking Maskaev for a long time. Oleg should get to fight the winner.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Whitaker has been slurring since about 95'. I don't have clue whether Duddy can fight as he has fought weak fighters, he is stepping up to tough journeyman level fighters now. He is a long way off from championship level fighters though. Irish fighters are boxoff gold if they can win though, so he will matched carefully until he is forced to fight a real contender...........

Bunnyman

Guru
Duddy has been a pro for 2 and a half years and is already 16-0 (14KO). He has beaten solid journeymen such as Byron Mackie, Patrick Thompson, Shelby Pudwill and Pat Coleman. Moreover he KO'd fellow undefeated contenders Lenord Pierre and Victor Paz.

Duddy is certainly one to watch and is being brought along at a good pace. Like all white fighters, the media will not like him. But so what. When his opponents are face down in their own blood, the criticism of the "experts" will not matter much.

John Duddy will be a middleweight champ within 2 years.

JD074

Master
Duddy will be fighting Anthony Bonsante on March 16. Andy Lee will be fighting on the undercard.

A good whooping might be a good thing for Duddy. A slong as he is winning he may have trouble listening to is trainer.

pt.guard2

Guru
Who said that he does not listen to his trainer. Doubt that Duddy will lose this fight.

JD074

Master
I believe he got that good whooping from Yory Boy Campas, even if Duddy ultimately won the fight. Hopefully he doesn't need another one to know how important defense is.

PT Guard. In am earlier post someone said Duddy laced boxing skills. Skills are usually taught by a coach or trainer. I coach Fast Pitch softball pitcher and I can tell you from experience that is is difficult to impossible to get an athelete to change anytging they are doing as long as they ae successful. Even when that success has moer to do with the level of opponents they face than the athelete's r talent or skill level. Then again his trainer's might be perfectly happy with what he is doing.