i wonder how many people feel this way

dwid

Hall of Famer
but aren't saying it
i was reading a book about the mannings and was suprised to see something published quoting Archie Manning saying this
an quote from the book "A FATHER, HIS SONS, AND A FOOTBALL LEGACY, MANNING"

:In matters relating to on-field conduct (i.e., sportsmanship), he is an unabashed purist. He hates the posturing and the end zone discotheque that mark NFL games, "especially when you look up at the scoreboard and the guy who's doing all the dancing is 21 points behind" He laments the fact that white boys aren't playing football in the numbers they used to. He blames this on the overstucturing of the game at the lower levels that "has taken a lot of fun out" and sent kids scurrying into other sports, "sports we didn't have when i was a kid-roller hockey, lacrosse, those things. You never see white kids playing football in the street anymore. It's sad."

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I remember reading that when it came out. I was a student at Ole Miss then and used to peer into the new books at the bookstore all the time.

bigunreal

Mentor
Thanks, dwid. Interesting quote.

I think many of us suspected that the Mannings harbor some of the same feelings we do about the lack of whites in the NFL. I blasted Peyton a few years ago, when I felt he could have publicly advocated for his supposed best friend on the team, Brandon Stokely. Stokely had come off a 1000 yard season, but was being relegated to an almost nonexistent role in the offense, for no good reason. I felt so strongly about this, because I had an inkling that Peyton is probably as distressed about the Caste System as we are. Both Peyton and Eli have quarterbacked Super Bowl winning teams, which is the benchmark by which all modern QBs are judged, by both jock-sniffers and drunk white fans. Thus, they both have "credibility" with these groups that the victims of the Caste System (Hass, Standeford, etc.) don't.

If Archie, Peyton and Eli all spoke out about the Caste System, they would face the predictable wrath of the jock-sniffers and possibly NFL officials. However, it would be impossible to ignore such high profile figures. Peyton is one of the game's true superstars, and no matter how hard they might try, no one could change that perception in an effort to discredit him. Eli now has that "cred" too, and cannot be easily blown off, either. Think of how Mel Gibson has been vilified ever since "The Passion Of The Christ," all to really no avail. The system that spent years building up his "stardom" can't easily convince the starstruck to abruptly stop worshiping him.

Manning family, if you're lurking here, speak out! Peyton, you could start by questioning why your team cut 2 of its 3 excellent white safeties (Condren, Silva), and why the one remaining (Giordano) doesn't start.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
"He laments the fact that white boys aren't playing football in the numbers they used to."

I lament the fact that the term "white boy" can be used in an article and not be considered a racial slur.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
"I lament the fact that the term "white boy" can be used in an article and not be considered a racial slur."

Yeah really. That's what usually happens when a white man is "defending" other whites....he insults them so that he may appear "cool" or whatever bullsh*t is popular to say by the trained seals in america.

F*ck-heads that use the term "white boy" make me want to commit a homocide.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
jaxvid said:
"He laments the fact that white boys aren't playing football in the numbers they used to."

I lament the fact that the term "white boy" can be used in an article and not be considered a racial slur.

That was my original reaction, but if you look at the excerpt in its entirety it's about white kids being diverted to other sports and not playing football in the street anymore. He's talking about "white boys" in the correct way, not in the commonplace racist way of calling white men boys.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I remember Archie speaking once of why Peyton didn't win the Heisman. He said something to the effect of "one nice Southern quarterback had just won it and they didn't want another nice Southern quarterback to win it." He said it with the look that he was implying more than that, which I took to mean a nice "white" Southern quarterback. Of course, Archie did want the Mississippi State flag changed back in 2001. He may long for the good old days of mostly white SEC teams and a lot more white youthsplaying football but he's about as PC as anyone when it comes down to it.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Why should white kids play more football? Why should they play a sport run by ******** that only use them to develop black employees. White people are too smart for those pricks. Football is waning because whites have been taken out of the game. White parents do not want their kids wasting time with football and ending up associating with black ******* trouble makers. Archie is right, white kids a playing hockey, lacrosse, swimming, volleyball, soccer, etc. At least they are wanted there and will associate with people that behave more like them. When the NFL attendance and ratings hit rock bottom then, and only then, will the NFL start recruiting whites in earnest.

bigunreal

Mentor
I can understand how Archie felt when Peyton was robbed of the Heisman Trophy. Charles Woodson was, imho, the least deserving Heisman winner ever. Of course, Archie himself should have won the Heisman, imho, instead of Jim Plunkett.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that, behind closed doors, the subjects we discuss here on these forums are touched upon frequently by the Manning family. Edited by: bigunreal

Bear Backer

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
jaxvid said:
"He laments the fact that white boys aren't playing football in the numbers they used to." I lament the fact that the term "white boy" can be used in an article and not be considered a racial slur.

That was my original reaction, but if you look at the excerpt in its entirety it's about white kids being diverted to other sports and not playing football in the street anymore.  He's talking about "white boys" in the correct way, not in the commonplace racist way of calling white men boys.

Everyone needs to remember too, that the Mannings are Southern. When he is saying white boy it is pretty much the same as saying "good ole boy", or "the boys" "our boys" etc etc. Older white men call younger white's boy all the time with no disrespect meant. My family roots are in Southern Illinois, which is very much more of a southern state than it is a part of the rest of Illinois. When my uncle talks about the local football teams there he always refers to the players as either white boys or black boys. Edited by: Bear Backer

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
bigunreal said:
I can understand how Archie felt when Peyton was robbed of the Heisman Trophy. Charles Woodson was, imho, the least deserving Heisman winner ever. Of course, Archie himself should have won the Heisman, imho, instead of Jim Plunkett.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that, behind closed doors, the subjects we discuss here on these forums are touched upon frequently by the Manning family.

I harp on this all of the time, Charles Woodson was VERY deserving of winning the Heisman that year. I watched every minute of that season for Michigan. There was a big push to pick a primarily defensive player for once and he was a good choice. Woodson did everything that year, he was a shut down corner that picked off several crucial passes, returned some punts that went for TD's and caught a few big passes as a receiver.

He also had a great bowl game to help Michigan to the national title. Manning had an awful bowl game. I like Peyton of course and he was a good candidate but his team didn't win a title. Woodson wasn't a horrible choice and I don't think it was a caste thing or a north-south thing just a let's do something different thing.

bigunreal said:

Archie Manning did not win the Heisman in 1970 because he was slowed by injuries and his performance was down from 1969. In addition, Ole Miss was projected to contend for No. 1, but went 7-3. Jim Plunkett broke every passing record during his own career. Incidentally, Joe Thiesmann was Plunkett's competion for the 1970 Heisman, rather than Archie Manning.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Peyton and Eli can't really stand up to the caste system the way you are advocating Big-unreal. Bob Sanders is an established safety on the Colts (I know little about the other starter though), so Peyton saying that he thought Giordano was better than the starting veterans would just cause disarray on the team. This is b/c Sanders has actually played quite good.

The only thing Peyton or Eli could do, is during training camp and pre-season, they could throw more balls than usual to the white WRs or even a white HB or FB if they were on the pre-season roster. They could tell the coach or GM that they were impressed with the white WR or RB's skill set for the offense and think that the player was "underrated"/"stereotyped" by the media and could really be an asset to the team down the road. They couldn't do this often though b/c then it may make the black teammates resentful. They could do this maybe twice in their career for a really good white underrated skill player that they befriended. At least if I were them that is how I would handle it. Handling it any more boldly would just get them branded racists and enemy number one of the ESPN and Rivals media.

We do need some white superstar QBs speaking up for white WRs and RBs ability occasionally.
smiley32.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
Maple Leaf said:
Why should white kids play more football? Why should they play a sport run by ******** that only use them to develop black employees. White people are too smart for those pricks. Football is waning because whites have been taken out of the game. White parents do not want their kids wasting time with football and ending up associating with black ******* trouble makers. Archie is right, white kids a playing hockey, lacrosse, swimming, volleyball, soccer, etc. At least they are wanted there and will associate with people that behave more like them. When the NFL attendance and ratings hit rock bottom then, and only then, will the NFL start recruiting whites in earnest.
I think many white youth(kids in the Pop Warner age group+)don't think they can make it in the taboo positions. Let's face it unless your a book worm how are you going to know about Dante Lavelli or Kyle Rote or Bambi. Largent to young kids is a mythological figure similar to a unicorn.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Gi-15 said:
TJR, Antoine Bethea( or something like that, the other colt safety) was a pro bowl alternate last year, and he made it to hawaii.

Yeah I had forgotten who he was, but yes he is a good player too. Peyton Manning can't realistically start saying that he thinks Giordano should be a starter for them. The only way he could realistically help out a white skill player is by the route I mentioned. I do like the Mannings, but we can't expect them to be absolute caste warriors.

BTW, Eli has had the same girl who he just married since H.S. It must be so hard to have been with the same girl all that time without experimenting around. Eli and Peyton are the consummate opposite of Tom Brady, Tony Romo and Andy Roddick. I also would have thought that since Eli has been with this girl this whole time, she would be a 10 out of 10, but to me she is only an 8.5 or so. I guess family and love is more important to him than supermodel looks.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Actually Tough, Eli and Abby have only known each other since Ole Miss. They met while there. She's from Nashville. I'm not real sure about Eli, even though I've been around him some at Ole Miss, but I know Peyton is a real throwback as far as his likesetc.Archie brought them up to be respectful. Archie I think felt very fortunate to have been in the position he was in at Ole Miss. My aunt grew up with Archie and knew them pretty well. Archie started lastout of all theQBs when he started at Ole Miss and worked his way up to a starter by the time his first varsity season began (1968). Back then freshmen had seperate teams and games and Archie played QB/Safety in the first2 games of 1967. Coach "Wobble" Davidson made everyone play both ways inthe first two games. Archie's father committed suicide during his Sophomore year and Coach Johnny Vaught became sort of a surrogate father to him.

dwid

Hall of Famer
why should white kids play football? because it was originally our sport maybe? this type of weak mentality is the reason blacks have taken over our neighborhoods and whites have fled further and further. just let them take more and more from us until we are just a spec of dust. you have to take a stand somewhere

for the record i don't have a problem with blacks that are good citizens and i can't stand white trash, but the harder i try to find decent black citizens, the more i think that there just aren't that many

and for those who say there are just as many white people on welfare as black people, this might be true i haven't looked it up or anything, but whites outnumber blacks so it shouldn't be even! same thing as white trash vs black trash, it shouldn't be close to the same amountEdited by: dwid

Maple Leaf

Mentor
dwid said:
why should white kids play football? because it was originally our sport maybe? this type of weak mentality is the reason blacks have taken over our neighborhoods and whites have fled further and further. just let them take more and more from us until we are just a spec of dust. you have to take a stand somewhere

for the record i don't have a problem with blacks that are good citizens and i can't stand white trash, but the harder i try to find decent black citizens, the more i think that there just aren't that many

and for those who say there are just as many white people on welfare as black people, this might be true i haven't looked it up or anything, but whites outnumber blacks so it shouldn't be even! same thing as white trash vs black trash, it shouldn't be close to the same amount

You are missing the point entirely. White parents do not want to let their kids play football because it seems for most to be just a waste of time. It does not matter how good a white kid is, the men that sign the paychecks decided long ago that they wanted a black majority workforce. How many more examples does this site have to show that white players are not wanted in the NFL. Whites are too smart for that. IF your child cannot make any money out of the persuit, then why bother in the first place. Just an example, last year someone here cited a white receiver from Notre Dame -I do not remember his name- who chose to play professional baseball rather than try his luck with the NFL. Why? Better money and better chance at actually keeping a job. If he had been my son I would have told him to do the same. The sooner whites get the hell away from football and abandon it entirely the sooner the structure of black preferential treatment will fall apart. Remember, it is the white money pouring into it that keeps the caste system alive.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Whites will never get away from football , they will continue to watch no matter what, i will not tell my son to play baseball over football if he wants to play football, i see your point, but it will not work, whites can abandon playing it, but they will still watch it, thats pretty much what is going on right now, drunk white fans watching affletes thinking they're superhuman when in fact, there own sons could probably grow up to play better than that

Maple Leaf

Mentor
dwid:

I cannot deny what you are saying has a great deal of truth to it. But, and this is a big but, nothing is forever and things do change. I posted and re-posted to a thread last year showing the ratings to football have slowly waned over the past quarter century. The NFL finished last year with a 10.0 average weekly rating. Twenty-five years ago they had an average of almost double that. Who knows this year? The NBA thought they were so smart that they did not need whites either until they found out their business plan was failing. Now they are changing again and re-discovering that short-court ball travellers are not the only ones that can play basketball. No, let the NFL slowly dry up. It is the only way the bosses will get the message.

ThatBlackGuy

Maple Leaf said:
dwid:

I cannot deny what you are saying has a great deal of truth to it. But, and this is a big but, nothing is forever and things do change. I posted and re-posted to a thread last year showing the ratings to football have slowly waned over the past quarter century. The NFL finished last year with a 10.0 average weekly rating. Twenty-five years ago they had an average of almost double that. Who knows this year? The NBA thought they were so smart that they did not need whites either until they found out their business plan was failing. Now they are changing again and re-discovering that short-court ball travellers are not the only ones that can play basketball. No, let the NFL slowly dry up. It is the only way the bosses will get the message.

The NFL is probably the biggest sport in this country, ratings for EVERYTHING is going down, movie tickets, tv shows etc. Thats a pretty assessment considering the rise of the computer/internet/general media thats available to people now, people dont just sit in front of the tv all night at primetime anymore.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
ThatBlackGuy said:
The NFL is probably the biggest sport in this country, ratings for EVERYTHING is going down, movie tickets, tv shows etc. Thats a pretty assessment considering the rise of the computer/internet/general media thats available to people now, people dont just sit in front of the tv all night at primetime anymore.

Interesting thought. It will be interesting to see to what extent the NFL looks into Internet markets. While it would seem that television is the obvious medium for football viewing, I can't think of a way to make football games accessible via the Web.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
PhillyBirds said:
I can't think of a way to make football games accessible via the Web.

You can track any game in real time on ESPN, among others. They display stats and plays on an image of a football field, and update the screen after each play. This is available for any game, not just those that are being televised.

Eventually football games will be broadcast over the 'net, probably by subscription, in the same way as other streaming media.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
I think that's really impersonal. It would look funny to see a father and son crowding a computer monitor. Or for one of those game trackers to say when someone makes a spectacular catch, or a bone-crusing hit. I wasn't aware of such things.