Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.60-4.65

• Sub 4.3

• Total voters

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I am writing this poll b/c it baffles me how all the draft sites are labeling Jordy as a 4.6 guy when he ran a 10.63 100 meter in H.S. The dude burned Aqib Talib, who is known to be a first round corner, deep. It seems obvious that Jordy is being stereotyped as slow because he's white, when he is truly fast. What do you guys think realistically Jordy will run based on game footage and his 10.63 100 meter time?

According to NFLdraftscout.com Jordy's estimated 40 time is listed as 4.57. Despite finishing second in all of college in receiving yards and catches he is ranked as the 19th overall WR.
smiley11.gif
To compare Jordy's estimated 40 time to their top ranked players. #2. Early Doucet 6'0 4.54. #3. Kelly Malcolm 6'0 4.54. #4. Limas Sweed 6'5 4.58. #5. James Hardy 6'6 4.59. #19. Jordy Nelson 6'3 4.57 (Second in Division one in receiving yards and catches). Jordy is tall and even if he runs a 4.57 which I think is an overestimate he would be right in the middle of the pack of the 2nd to 5th ranked WRs.

Basically, I think Jordy will have to run a sub 4.45 to have a chance to crack the first round. If he runs a 4.58 like Limas Sweed is projected to run he will drop to the 5th round I predict. However, Sweed although he missed this entire year with a wrist injury will still go in the late first round early 2nd with a 4.58 40 time. The caste system is very strong in this pathetic league. If Jordy runs a 4.58, I predict Jordy won't play until his late 20s on Sunday if at all. These are dark days indeed.
smiley11.gif

P.S: A white WR has to put up Biletnikof like statistics if he isn't from one of the elite BCS programs and be a workout warrior to crack the first round. Anthony Gonzalez had "good not great" numbers, but was able to crack the first round b/c of blazing speed and being a hyped Ohio State product.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Tough, I hope I'm wrong, but I think he'll run around 4.5, but probably faster.

jared

Mentor
I'm hoping he runs a 4.2 naturally but I expect a 4.45-4.5. He looks like it takes him a second to really get into top gear but once he does, he's gone. What I'd really like to see is another sprint event at the combine. Jordy would kill in a 100 yd dash.
My predictions:
40: 4.48
Shuttle: 4.30
Vertical: 34"
Bench: 18

If he has an overall decent combine showing, I see him going maybe round 2. Unfortunately the WR class just got a lot more crowded. He needs a nice showing at the Senior Bowl practices (which I think he will have), and a little more love from Mayock (which I also think will come). Somebody else said it better, comparing Jordy to last year's Eric Weddle. A guy who did everything right but for some reason the established Draft "experts" ignore. Some team like the Chargers with a sane scouting department will realize what a gem he is and "reach" (according to the experts") for him in the 2nd round and never look back.
Edited by: jared

whiteCB

Master
I have a good feeling that Jordy will be fine at the combine securing a spot as late 1st Rd to late 2nd Rd pick. Although personally I would have no problem drafting him in the top 20; if I were a GM.

backrow

Hall of Famer
fromdraftdaddy.com:

2008 Under Armour Senior Bowl Weigh-In Notes

7 Players that may have helped their stock:

WR Jordy Nelson, Kansas State: Well-built, lean and legit 6'2".

SteveB

Mentor
backrow said:
from NFL.com, linked by draftdaddy.com:

Jordy Nelson video

Man I thought that I had heard all of the cliche's out there, but here's a new one from Mike Mayock. He says that Nelson lacks "suddenness". It seems like there is always something wrong with every white skill player in football. Most of the time it is he is "quick but not fast" (Wes Welker) or "lacks hip flexibility", etc. Now you have Nelson, who Mayock agrees is fast, but he lacks "suddenness". WTF!!

Mike

Guru
SteveB said:
backrow said:
from NFL.com, linked by draftdaddy.com:

Jordy Nelson video

Man I thought that I had heard all of the cliche's out there, but here's a new one from Mike Mayock. He says that Nelson lacks "suddenness". It seems like there is always something wrong with every white skill player in football. Most of the time it is he is "quick but not fast" (Wes Welker) or "lacks hip flexibility", etc. Now you have Nelson, who Mayock agrees is fast, but he lacks "suddenness". WTF!!

I disagree in this case. I thought the commentary was very good (I really enjoy Charles Davis) and the impression I got was that they felt Jordy was as close as you can get to being the total package. The question of 'suddeness' is relevant, especially in regards to bigger wide receivers. Maylock didn't say "Dear God this guy is slow off the line" he just said that it was something Jordy would need to show through the evaluation process. There is always something for a player to work on, and considering the high praise they gave to Jordy's athletic ability I don't think you can equate that particular question with Jordy being a white guy. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

SteveB

Mentor
Mike said:
SteveB said:
backrow said:
from NFL.com, linked by draftdaddy.com: Jordy Nelson video

&lt;SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"&gt;I disagree in this case. I thought the commentary was very good (I really enjoy Charles Davis) and the impression I got was that they felt Jordy was as close as you can get to being the total package. The question of 'suddeness' is relevant, especially in regards to bigger wide receivers. Maylock didn't say "Dear God this guy is slow off the line" he just said that it was something Jordy would need to show through the evaluation process. There is always something for a player to work on, and considering the high praise they gave to Jordy's athletic ability I don't think you can equate that particular question with Jordy being a white guy.</font> &lt;?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /&gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;</font>&lt;/SPAN&gt;

I am going to respectfully disagree with you Mike. None of the black receivers lack "suddenness" and no matter what there 40 time is, they are almost always described as fast. But I do agree that most of the analysis from Davis and Mayock was positive.

jared

Mentor
Mayock said Jordy's fast. However he differentiated between being fast and being "sudden" or "quick". Wes Welker is sudden and quick to the max, but not especially fast. I have no doubt that Jordy Nelson would kick his ass in a 100 yard dash just as I have no doubt that Wes would destroy him in ANY agility drill. A lot of that is to be expected when you're talking about guys that are separated by over 5 inches and 30 lbs. They're going to be different style receivers. I think Mayock is a pretty fair evaluator of talent. Don't worry, Jordy's stock is on the rise. He's been seen talking to personnel from the Chiefs, Eagles, Broncos, and Browns.