Hockey rules!

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I know a lot of people are geeked up about football but the real excitement is that Hockey is back. I hate to admit it since I am a fan of the "Yankees" of the NHL, the Red Wings, but the new salary cap has had an interesting effect of spreading the talent around the league. It is like a rotisserie baseball league right now, each team can only sign a couple of superstars, so nearly everbody can get one or two. Now almost every team is going to have some guys worth watching.

Realgeorge

Mentor
Yahoo!! The NHL is Back!

Howdy Jaxvid! Great to hear from you. It's OK you're a RedWings fan. A winning franchise!!

I'll speak for me: NFL Who? ..... Couldn't care less about the great In-your-Face Third World sport. My heart is with the NHL, with players from my ethnic persuasion. Bring it On!

Hope the Red Wings can light up the arena again this year.

Regards, Yuri

Realgeorge

Mentor
It's Back! The NHL in the USA! Support the Last Great White Sport in the World!
Jump on the bandwagon, Nationalists! Instead of lamenting the loss of baseball and football and (barf!) basketball to the NWO, let's cheer on the NHL and it superb crop of new White European players.

Realgeorge

Mentor
Opening Night is only Two Weeks Away!

I can't wait! The Comcast corporation has decided to televise the entire 82-game schedule for the Washington Capitals. Now I can see them get crushed week after week! But it will be worth it. Bring on the NHL!

Bear-Arms

Mentor
I think the Blackhawks have an actual indian on the team. He's from Canada and his name sounds French. I can't confirm it, but he looks French Indian to me.</font>

Rene Bourque

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
From what I watched Wed. night, the games were far more wide open than before, which means the NHL may finally be serious about giving hockey fans what they want. The only downside was way too many power plays, which is to be expected until the players learn with more certainty what will be called and what won't.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Eleven of the 15 games last night were sellouts. The smallest crowd was 15,702 (Buffalo).

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Colin Cowturd and ESPN Radio are at it again.

Cowturd said that he knew hockey games would sellout, despite the strike, because hockey fans have nothing else to do. Its not like they're going to go to the opera or Broadway. Hockey fans are guys who think its okay to wear a jersey to dinner [White Shogun says: "It isn't?
smiley5.gif
]. He further said that hockey fans are like a cult, that has its own language and sets of rules, like Dungeons and Dragons players and Star Trek convention groupies. He went on to bad mouth hockey and hockey fans for the entire 5 minutes I listened to his program, although I'm sure it went on much longer than that.

Of course, he'd never say that the typical NBA fan isn't going to the opera or Broadway, either.
smiley5.gif

Shogun, you should know better than to be listening to the 'Turd. Apparently that jackass hasn't seen the demos that show that hockey has a more affluent fanbase than the Negro Football League. (I'm talking about the average fan-in-the-stands, not the corporate types that get promotional passes).

Be smart: turn off the radio when the 'Turd comes on, and bitch at your local station for carrying such garbage.

White_Savage

Mentor
White Shogun said:
Colin Cowturd and ESPN Radio are at it again.

Cowturd said that he knew hockey games would sellout, despite the strike, because hockey fans have nothing else to do. Its not like they're going to go to the opera or Broadway. Hockey fans are guys who think its okay to wear a jersey to dinner [White Shogun says: "It isn't?
smiley5.gif
]. He further said that hockey fans are like a cult, that has its own language and sets of rules, like Dungeons and Dragons players and Star Trek convention groupies. He went on to bad mouth hockey and hockey fans for the entire 5 minutes I listened to his program, although I'm sure it went on much longer than that.

Of course, he'd never say that the typical NBA fan isn't going to the opera or Broadway, either.
smiley5.gif

Shogun: You know this Cowherd (The out loud enunciation his name says it all, doesn't it?) also bashed MMA on his progam. "I'll talk about boxing but not MMA" "MMA is like *******fighting, like watching two guys in a bar fight".

So let me get this straight. Sports where the average athlete has a college degree are barbaric and for rednecks, but a sport like boxing where the average athlete has a criminal record, that's classy?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The opening night games played to 98% of capacity, setting a single-day NHL attendance record of 275,447.

Locally, the Penguins telecast drew a 7.5 share on the local Fox Sports affiliate. The Pirates averaged a 4.5 rating this season on the same network.

Realgeorge

Mentor
Told you So ... Hockey Fans are Back in Full Force!
By "you" I mean the white-hating Mainstream Media sports types, who wished death and destruction to our beloved lily-white NHL. It didn't happen. The fans came roaring back immediately, and the NHL continues exactly where it left off.
The I-hate-the-NHL crowd is now crowing over the "dismal" TV ratings on the new OLN network telecasts of NHL games. Harrumph! Well there's a gnat in their ointment. The "Nielsen" ratings service, along with all "ratings" services, are totally corrupt wings of the giant networks, and it's well known that the sampling of "homes" is heavily skewed toward inner-city, minority, and hand-picked. Simply I don't trust any "rating" from a Nielsen nor any of its ilk.
The TV crowd undoubtedly was small on opening night. But so what? OLN will make its bucks on advertising, and the real ratings will be just fine. Those who were watching NHL on ESPN will switch to OLN. I did! And for good measure, the opening night telecast of Flyers vs Rangers was most excellent on OLN. The announcers were pure hockeyites (refreshing), there was none of the krappey ESPN adverts of their mindless fill-in shows (refreshing!), and there were honest-to-goodness pre-game and post-game shows with real analysis and highlights (refreshing !!). Bill Clement was superb, just like he always is. The trio of sportcasters took it slow, actually talking in complete sentences during analysis ... and we didn't have the Barry Melrose sarcasm and personal attacks on particular players he doesn't like (refreshing !!!)
One more good upshot of the return of hockey was Chris Chelios and the NHL rank-and-file noticing that the outgoing Union Chief cheated and fudged the election of his relief. The new guy in charge of the NHLPA now faces and angry and suspicious players base. The NHL players continue to be dumb as a box of rocks, but a few are catching on. They were had, and the cheaters are both in the Union and in the Owners' ranks.
So the NHL is back with a vengeance. The game is ... well, not faster yet, the players haven't found the groove to avoid penalties, and there are zillions of power plays. But they will figure it out, and soon. The puck goes flashing thru the neurtral zone at light speed like it did in the 1970s. The players are obviously energized. So are the coaches and owners. It's good, trust me. The NHL is healthier than it's ever been, thanks to the moronic players getting crushed by their owners and corrupt Union. Everybody's making money, skating hard, and worried about their next shift.
Even yours truly is energized. I was only a modest attender of games of my absolutely awful local team,but I'm stalking a few tickets for games during Thanksgiving and Xmas holidays (are you happy, Ted L.?). Looking forward to the Flyers and Rangers and RedWings and Blackhawks kicking the bejeezus out of my stinking team. But the ticket will be affordable, the action will be fast, the score will be 9-4, and the players will be white, like me!
Enjoy, Hockey Fans!Edited by: Realgeorge

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Great post realgeorge
smiley32.gif

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Now you cannot even budge a player near your goalie without recieving a penalty.
smiley36.gif

Realgeorge

Mentor
So Far So Good !!
I like! How about you? The game is fast, goals are up, and the Detroit Red Wings are dominating hockey once again. Jagr can skate and score without three sappers hanging on him. The bottom-dwelling teams (mine included) have hope because none of the Big Guys can buy them out of their draft talent. Gretzky is proving that he can't coach a lick, but seven teams want him to lace up the skates and join their fourth line !!

Bear-Arms

Mentor
I like it, but there is far too many penalties or maybe it's just the blackhawks.
smiley36.gif

nj816

I must admit that I find the "new" NHL to be more exciting than ever. I've been a Ranger fanmy whole lifeand haven't been this excited about the team since the signing of Messier. It has been enjoyable to watch the efforts put forth by the no-name young players (Dominick Moore, Blair Betts, Peter Prucha) than the overpaid, past their prime, former stars that theRangers were notorious for signing.

I find the pace of the game, other than the penalties, to be great. The action &amp; skill level is really coming to the forefront with the new rules in place.

Of course the mainstream media will continue to malign the NHL as long as it remains 99% white, but I have no complaints.

The NHL athletes are gracious and humble. They put forth a 100% effort on every shift, never taking a night off. They put the team ahead of themselves.They are the only athletes thatI would want mychildren to emulate. Unfortunately, many of theseplayers wll remain obscure becausethe ESPNs of the world will rather sellstreetballers to our kids than Rick Nash &amp; Alex Ovechkin.

I'm sure if there were three to four Jerome Inginlas on each NHL roster it would magically become more marketable. ESPN would threw money at Bettman and Sports Illustrated would finally have a hockeyplayer on its cover, albeit a black one with the caption, "The new face of the NHL."
smiley2.gif

sunshine

Mentor
Very interesting that arguably the most exciting athlete in the world today plays in Atlanta. And I am not talking about Michael Vick. IIya Kovalchuk of the Thrashers has been on a roll of late--6 goals in last two games. He is only 23. SI and ESPN have relegated hockey to the doghouse. Try telling me that Kovalchuk isn't a great athlete. There are a slew of grat athletes in the NHL. The media chooses to ignore them. They don't want to break the whole illusion they ram down our throats.

G

arent you fellas always talking about how violent blacks are?Well,arent they always fighting in Hockey?Or have they made a truce of some sort?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
1. Everyone who posts here has different viewpoints and perspectives. You have a marked tendency to use the plural "you" as if we're all clones of each other.

2. Hockey has a warrior aspect to it. There's a huge difference between a physically tough, demanding sport and violent crime. If hockey players were violent outside the arena you'd have a point. But they aren't, and you don't.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
You guys have any good sites you can recommend to learn the rules and how to watch the game? I've watched hockey before and enjoyed it but I couldn't follow what was happening, penalties and so forth. So help make a new fan, gimme some leads and I'll do the rest.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Fights occur to protect the teams good players from getting hurt by the much bigger players of the other team. Each team usually has their assigned enforcers, and they're the ones that usually fight.Edited by: Bear-Arms

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know about sites, but ifpossible attend NHL or minor league games in person. It's much easier to understand what's going on when you can watch the back and forth flow on the entire rink instead of just what a TV camera is showing. If that's not feasible, another option is to pick a team or two to follow, good teams that will be on OLN a lot, and just watch what they're doing during a telecast and don't worry about the other team.

Iwatch mostlyPenguins games during the regular season, but during the playoffs like to watch any game I can. There's nothing like them for intensity.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
White Shogun said:
You guys have any good sites you can recommend to learn the rules and how to watch the game? I've watched hockey before and enjoyed it but I couldn't follow what was happening, penalties and so forth. So help make a new fan, gimme some leads and I'll do the rest.

Pick a team and watch it ritually. Hockey isn't a sport you're gonna pick-up all the rules in one game. Read up on the basics like icing and offsides.