High Schoolers

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Jordan Borsch broke the Minnesota state record in the 400m (14th fastest in the country), and also won the 100m and 200m state championships.
She will be taking her sprint talents to Notre Dame.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Good news .... Gatlin Bair will be running in the 100m and 200m at the Great Southwest Classic this weekend.
This meet is kind of an all star competition for boys and girls from Texas and the southwest US.
I hope Gatlin has still continued his training and can put up some eye popping times.
The meet is at altitude, so that should definitely help the times.
My wish would be for him to break Bolings wind legal high school record of 10.11. Boling went 9.98 windy as we know. I would love
to see Gatlin Bair get a wind legal 10.10! That would be epic and it might just convince him to continue track. I don't see how he can
even not consider it. He ran 2 legal 10.15's in the same weekend as a high school junior. The kid is a track legend!

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Good news .... Gatlin Bair will be running in the 100m and 200m at the Great Southwest Classic this weekend.
This meet is kind of an all star competition for boys and girls from Texas and the southwest US.
I hope Gatlin has still continued his training and can put up some eye popping times.
The meet is at altitude, so that should definitely help the times.

More disappointing news..... it seems that Gatlin Bair has withdrawn from this meet.
He is no longer listed on the heat sheets.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
There are several national high school all-star meets this weekend.
Unfortunately, I can't find Gatlin Bair mentioned as a participant in any of them - what a shame!
However, Brody Buffington and Mia Brahe-Pedersen will be competing, so let's keep our fingers crossed for some fantastic performances from them.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Mia Brahe-Pedersen second place Brooks Invitational in 11.09, winner won in 11.00

I'm still shocked by these times coming from high school kids. That is an incredible performance for her. I know she was hoping to win
and go sub 11 but the times will come. She was born to be a sprinter. Exciting times brothers!

freedom1

Mentor
Yes, their times are freaky. Shawnti Jackson, the winner is 18 and has a PB of 10.89. Mia is 17, so next year, her times will probably be below 11.00. I just don't know what to think about high school girls running these times.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Brody Buffington ran a 10.36 into a negative wind to easily qualify for the 100 Meter Finals at the2023 New Balance Nationals Meet.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Yes, very impressive. We saw it before in post #585.
Unfortunately, I don't see Victoria Cameron listed in any of this week's national high school meets.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Here's an interview with Brody Buffington after today's heat at the New Balance Nationals.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Yes, very impressive. We saw it before in post #585.
Unfortunately, I don't see Victoria Cameron listed in any of this week's national high school meets.
Well, I was wrong.
Cameron ran in the NIke Outdoor Nationals 100m finals against Mia Brahe-Pedersen and Braelyn Baker, among others.
Brahe-Pedersen won in 11.11.
Impressive time, and also impressive to have 3 white girls in a national high school final.
Here's the video:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Well, I was wrong.
Cameron ran in the NIke Outdoor Nationals 100m finals against Mia Brahe-Pedersen and Braelyn Baker, among others.
Brahe-Pedersen won in 11.11.
Impressive time, and also impressive to have 3 white girls in a national high school final.
Here's the video:

For the first time in my life in America I'm seeing white high school kids start to show no fear. So exciting to see and please let
this continue to grow. 3 white sprinters out of the fastest 9 female sprinters in high school. Amazing and keep on improving girls.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here's an interview with Brody Buffington after today's heat at the New Balance Nationals.

Boling 2.0 or so we hope so. Just without the sad senior year of college. I really hope Brody Buffington only runs track at Georgia. I do
not want to see him play football or other sports. He has the potential to make an Olympic Team someday. Stick with only track young man!
Great interview jacknyc. Thanks for posting this! What a future this kid has ahead of him! Good luck this weekend Brody! Bring home
the gold medal.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Brody Buffington ran a wind legal 10.16 for 3rd place at the New Balance Nationals.
2nd place was 10.15, so he was very close.
The kid is a special talent. He has run sub 10.20 on several occasions now, which is better than most of the guys we root for in Europe.
Can't wait to see how he progresses in college, although I am worried about him attending the University of Georgia.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Brody Buffington ran a wind legal 10.16 for 3rd place at the New Balance Nationals.
2nd place was 10.15, so he was very close.
The kid is a special talent. He has run sub 10.20 on several occasions now, which is better than most of the guys we root for in Europe.
Can't wait to see how he progresses in college, although I am worried about him attending the University of Georgia.

Amazing time indeed. He just missed tieing for 2nd place as you said against the fastest high school sprinters across America.
Very exciting to see. I hope someone can post a video as I missed seeing the race live. Thanks for the update jacknyc.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Here's the race.
Buffington should have leaned at the finish. He probably would have gotten 2nd place.

Last edited:

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
she’s not a high schooler yet, as she’s only in eighth grade, but Aria Pearce won the 2023 Nike outdoor nationals emerging elite 100m. she ran 11.72 in the prelims before running 11.76 to win the final.

there was another White girl in the final, as well, but i’ve not yet been able to learn her name.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
she’s not a high schooler yet, as she’s only in eighth grade, but Aria Pearce won the 2023 Nike outdoor nationals emerging elite 100m. she ran 11.72 in the prelims before running 11.76 to win the final.

there was another White girl in the final, as well, but i’ve not yet been able to learn her name.

I can't stand the music but for an 8th grader to blaze to these fast times is incredible. Congrats Aria Pearce! :campeon:

sprintstar

Mentor
He quite obviously did not see the guy to his right, if he leans he's second place. He looked tight the whole race....

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
He quite obviously did not see the guy to his right, if he leans he's second place. He looked tight the whole race....
Yes, he didn't see that guy, and maybe that's why he didn't lean.
Speaking of being tight, at the end of the race he reaches for his right quad. Might have tweaked a muscle.
I notice he was a DNS in the 200m heats, maybe because of his quad. But a lot of other guys DNS, so maybe it was weather.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Mia Brahe-Pedersen ran an amazing 22.43 to win the Nike Nationals 200m today.
That is the fastest time in the country, and may be a junior class record - yes, Mia is only a junior.
It is tied for the #2 fastest girls 200m all-time.

Is there anything this fine young lady cannot do? Wow incredible and she almost pulled off the national double gold medal.
The female sprinters in the America are really stepping up their A Game. The men are still a little behind but rising like cream to the top!
My hope for next year would be for Mia Brahe Pedersen to become the fastest 100 and 200 meter high school female sprinter in the
history of America. She isn't far off and could easily set those records if she stays healthy. The long season doesn't seem to bother her.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I thine we mentioned Camden Bentley of Ohio last year. She is a former gymnast.
This weekend she became a national champion, winning the New Balance Nationals 100m hurdles title.
She has the 3rd fastest time in the country, and like another speedster from Ohio, Abby Steiner, she will be attending the University of Kentucky.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Mia Brahe Pedersen needs her own thread soon. I don't care how young she is. She may be even better than Abby Steiner.

These are the Fastest 100 and 200 Meters Times ever run by High School Females ever in the U.S.

100 METERS
10.94*Briana Williams’ (Northeast, Oakland Park, Florida)2019
10.98**Candace Hill (Rockdale, Conyers, Georgia)2015
11.00*Mia Brahe-Pedersen (Lake Oswego, Oregon)2023

200 METERS
22.11(A)Allyson Felix (Los Angeles Baptist, North Hills, California)2003
22.33i*Adaejah Hodge’ (Academy, Montverde, Florida)2023
22.43**Candace Hill (Rockdale, Conyers, Georgia)2015
22.43 Mia Brahe-Pedersen (Lake Oswego, Oregon) 2023