High School Acacdemics/Athletics

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Don't know if this has been reported yet on this forum, but Seattle prep high school star Tony Wroten Jr. tweeted a message about his Spanish class, I believe he was given a passing grade on the non-existing class by the athletic director, who was fired. No word yet on what's going to happen to Wroten Jr.

I have always wondered how some of theseplayers seem to get into Division 1 schools
when you hearthem speak, or try to speak, inpublic. Take signing day in high school football recently, aGeorgia high school athlete recently picked up the UGA hat put it on his head and I believe he said, "I be a Dawg". Seriously, how did this kid get through high school, much less sign a D-1 football scholarship. I think he meant to say,"I'm going to be a Bulldog".
Even before this year, I asked a high school guidance counselor about how some of these athletes were getting acceptedinto college and can't speak broken english, given that the class of 2014 D-1 college requirements, have becomemore stringent. She replied,"I'm not supposed to say this, but many of them are probablyjust pushed on through, but with the new requirements for incoming freshmen, you're going to see kids start to fail and or just not make it into college.
Maybe withthenews of Wroten Jr. coming to light, high schools will wake up and actually make students pass and make the appropriate grades to graduate high school and not allow failing students to get D-1 basketball, football, or any other athletic scholarships.
I hope more of these frauds areexposed.
It's really sad about this kind of news, but it's even sadder for the deserving student/athletes who have worked and studied and are overlooked. Hopefully change is coming.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Sorry CF for the misspelling of 'academics' on the forumtopic title, must of movedmy finger across the 'c'. Should have previewed post.