Henderson-Silva - March 1

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
nopictures said:
I think a good thing to do would be reflect on the times he HAS lost, what kind of fighters gave Silva his four losses? were these bouts in a different weight class, where were they held, etc?

Can this guy be put down? I thought I saw Dan land a few of his legendary haymakers flush and they didn't phase him. So to me at least it looked like he has a good chin to go with his well rounded game. Besides the fact he looks like a black Chris Kattan, it kind of surprises me the media hasn't used him much.

Anyone care to hypothesize on how this guy goes down in the future? If at all?

Age.

Silva = Matt Hughes of the middleweight division. He'll reign for years, until some guy we've never heard of arrives on the scene and takes him out after Father Time has worked him over.

He'll be around a long time. People are making noise about the UFC signing Lindland to fight him, but I believe Lindland gets KO'd. He doesn't have the chin of Henderson or the punching power.

There really isn't anyone at middleweight who can challenge him, in my opinion. He has a very unique skill set, he has outstanding Muay Thai and jiu jitsu, he has a long lanky frame, good punching power, good chin.. really, where are the holes in his game? He is mentally strong as well. He doesn't get flustered, he's patient, confident..

I'd like to see Lutter try it again, if he can make weight that is. He has come the closest so far, and even then it wasn't that close.

Poacher

Mentor
I'd like to see someone go after his legs with hard leg kicks. If you could get him limping a little (he's had knee surgery in the past) that would take the snap out of his punches.

Henderson's biggest mistake was trying to strike with Silva. Henderson has a better ground game than Silva that is for sure. It seemed to me that Henderson got over confident on his feet and paid the price. Silva hurt Henderson pretty bad on the last exchange they had on their feet. At that point Silva merely needed only to finish him off. That being said, Silva is very dominant and you have to tip your hat to him and simply acknowledge him as the best in the world at 185 and quite arguably the best in the world pound for pound. I always root for his opponent that is for sure. However from what I have seen of him he does not possess the same mentality as his cousins from Detroit. He appears to be extremely respectful of all his opponents and I have yet to ever see him gloat after a fight. For that you have to respect him. I think White Shogun got it right. Silva remains the champ until he decides not to fight anymore, or fathertime catches him in 4-5 years and some young sensational up and commer beats him.

I have little doubt there's guys we haven't seen - yet - who can take Silva
out. They might be fighting the equivalent of "smokers" in Europe, etc.
Henderson plain screwed up, and he ain't no kid either. I am interested in
people we don't get to see or hear about more so than who the UFC and
others may allow to fight in their organizations. There's probably some guy
in Russia somewhere who could take down Silva as easily as Henderson did
in the first round and do much more of a number on him. No one's
unbeatable. I don't mind Silva because he isn't a sh*% talker.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I was really happy to see the Texas Crazy Horse take out Kongo...especially to shut the pro-caste mouths of "Goldberger & Rogaine".
smiley7.gif
I those two clowns were gonna cop a nutt over Kongo's physique.
smiley11.gif
Like Herring said in the pre-fight montage, it's not a bodybuilding contest (& guys like Fedor have proven that time & time again).I've seen numerous fighters with chiseled physiques get made short work of.

I'll have to tip my hat to Silva, his striking is the best in MMA right now & his BJJ is solid. Like Hughes against GSP (#2), Dan thought a little too much of his striking. Dan should have not tried to exchange with Silva. I also disagree that Dan was "custom made" for Silva (as Goldberg kept spouting). Dan had a strength & wrestling advantage, but the clear cut striking & BJJ went to Silva. I honestly think it'll take an ADCC level BJJ guru with a decent chin who can take Silva down & submit him. Lutter had him in full mount, but couldn't finish.Of the fighters currently in the division, I think Lutter has the best chance right now IF he can avoid too many strikes & take Silva right down. I give Lutter the edge in BJJ.Dean Lister would best Silva too (if it came down to submission). Lister's submissions are top notch & his losses have only came from decisions (never KO/TKO'd or submitted).

P.S. - Did ya'll see where Mark Coleman would be facing Brock Lesnar in 4-5 months? That'll be an interesting match-up.Two former Big 10, NCAA wrestling champions and brute-force G&Pers....the Hall of Famer vs. the new lion.Although Coleman has tons of experience, I give Lesnar the edge (athleticism & strength).War Lesnar!!!
smiley4.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
If the UFC were boxing I have no doubt that a gatekeeper like Herring would have "lost" the split decision against Kongo. The fight was supposed to be set up for Kongo to get a title shot. As for Silva he is just so strong for that weight class and his game is very complete. He might have to age a bit before he gets knocked off. He easily destroys the previous best 185 pounder ever (Frank Shamrock)if they ever meet down the road. Shamrock has lost too much to beat him...