Happy Shamrock Day?

Bart

Hall of Famer
Local talk show hosts are upset thata large grocery store chain has changed traditional St.Patrick's Day advertising to the more politically correct--Happy Shamrock Day.Some of the callers said stores were getting complaints from people offended at the Christian religious overtones of the displays.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Whats the name of the chain, Bart?

Bart

Hall of Famer
It was Pick 'n Save owned by Roundy's Supermarkets Inc.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Oh, ok. I thought it may have been a big national type chain. I know one thing, people here in Utah take St. Patrick's Day seriously, and I'm glad.
smiley4.gif
I'll be flying my Irish Brigade Confederate flag!

White_Savage

Mentor
Oh for God's sake, I don't even like Padriac's legacy, but this is ridiculous and Orwellian. And it's not a day to celebrate bloody bits of clover...if you want to describe the day accurately, it's "Happy Irish Ethnocentric Pride" day. (I think the reason that so many people with dubious claims to Irish ancestry celebrate St. Paddy's day and Irishness is that only in disguised terms like "Irish Pride" are WHITES allowed to have any ethnic pride at all.)

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good point Savage, as it is the only holiday that has anything to do with whiteness that isn't discriminated against. Tis more than a bit o' clover for sure! Aye, besides St. Patrick, tis the harp, Erin Go Bragh, heritage, and the men of Ireland whom we descended from that we celebrate.

BTW, they celebrate Scottish days out here in Utah really big in the summer. Too bad I won't be here to experience it.

Freedom

Mentor
I've got to fly into Logan airport on St. Patrick's Day. It's in Boston, a very Irish city.

It'll be interesting to see St. Patricks Day in heavily Irish communities though.Edited by: Freedom