Hansbrough is a monster!

j41181

Master
Whatever his draft position will be, I'm looking forward to Tyler making some serious crash in the NBA. I hope his initial injuries will be fully healed by then.

He may undersized for a front-line player, but he's got the will, hustle, and determination to make an immediate impact. David Lee's success will help determine how far Tyler can go.

The Hock

Master
Facially and game wise, Tyler brings to mind Dave Cowens, a slightly undersized white player whose tremendous intensity translated into a Hall of Fame career. The NBA could use another Dave Cowens.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I almost forgot about Cowens; he was a little before my time. He was an All time great Celtic Center. Might be the best comparison I've heard.

j41181

Master
To The Hock: THANKS MAN!!!
smiley20.gif

How in God's name did I forget about Dave Cowens? Psycho-T's game can very well compare to him. Here's what made Dave an All-Time great: great hops, great hustle, great body coordination, great range, and great will and determination.

Dave could shoot the lights out from about 20 feet, his positioning for rebounds was just brilliant, his first step and drive to the hoop was just picture perfect (I wonder why few white guys can do it), his post-up game was just solid (he could spin left or right down the block), and he could take any sort of physical punishment on both ends. That's Dave for you!

Hansbrough has a lot of Cowens in him with some differences, he's not as good an outside shooter, and his first step is rather slow. But Tyler can take physical punishment both ends, his positioning for rebounds is just excellent, and his low-post game is about as good as Cowens. If he can improve his mid-range game, first step, and drive to the basket, sky's the limit. Edited by: j41181

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Hock said:
Facially and game wise, Tyler brings to mind Dave Cowens, a slightly undersized white player whose tremendous intensity translated into a Hall of Fame career. The NBA could use another Dave Cowens.

Cowens was a true warrior, a great player.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Tyler Hansbrough is the best player in college basketball.

the love affair with the Griffin kid is fine and dandy, but i doubt there is a coach in the Big 12 or ACC (or anywhere else besides Memphis or Georgetown, for that matter) that would take Griffin over Hansbrough.

Hansbrough would kick Griffin's ass and feed it to him.

the only thing Griffin can do better than Hansbrough is jump. meanwhile, Hansbrough has been dominating despite being double-and-triple teamed for the last 3 seasons.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I really could see the Elton Brand comparison to Hansbrough as far as inside game and size. Hansbrough seems above average athletically compared to a typical NBA PF who gets minutes. I'm predicting a Love like 35 inch vertical or so and a Love or Lee like 3/4 court sprint; which means good foot-speed.

If he tests that well only Griffin (based on size, youth upside and freak athleticism) and Rubio should be drafted ahead of him. I'd take Hansbrough over Greg Monroe, Earl Clark and Aminu if he tests out like I predict if I were an NBA GM. He's too good a player.

I compare him to Brand, b/c he has such a scorers skill set and is a good athlete, but not a freak, who's undersized a bit. Hansbrough will rebound like a beast in the NBA too and will become a David Lee type defender, which means he'll do pretty darn well against most players, but might struggle against the real tall and athletic guys like Dirk, Garnett, Stoudamire or Howard if he has to guard him. But will the NBA ALLOW him to play big minutes?

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Let's see how the NBA treats Hansborough. I am so sick of the latest NBA antics. The blacks like Durant, Rose, and Rudy Gay get tons of minutes and freedom to throw up as many shots as they want per game. All this while Alexander rots on the bench with very few minutes, JJ Redick( one of the purest shooters in the history of college basketball) gets few minutes, and Kevin Love is constantly put down while producing solid numbers every game.

j41181

Master
Hansbrough is like Dave Cowens, Bob Pettit, and Dave DeBuscherre. The great scoring touch, the great hustle and bustle on both ends. He knows only one speed like those 3, and that is FULL.Edited by: j41181