Gonzaga Hoops ’06-’07

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
my Zags didn't show up ready to play today against Georgia.
smiley5.gif
it looked like they were looking ahead to their big match-up with Duke and forgot to take of their other business first.

hopefully, this will have them focused and ready to play when they face the Blue Devils in MSG.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
ouch!

that pretty much describes the butt-whipping my Zags took from Virginia. ouch!

i don't know if i've ever seen a team that was as hot from behind the 3-point line as the Cavaliers were that game.
smiley5.gif
Virginia hit a school-record 12 3-pointers in the First Half!

add to that the fact that the Zags could literally do NOTHING right, and it got ugly real fast.

hopefully, the young Zags will bounce back in conference play, but this last road trip has certainly left them hurting. ouch!

speedster

Mentor
Good to see the Zags win again.Sean Mallon led the way with 23 and is starting again which he deserves because he has really been coming on.Heytvelt is now coming off the bench at this point.Afflete Pierre Cespedes started as well I guess to help prevent all these 3's that teams have been making on the Zags.That means the Zags are starting 3 affletes the white guys are Raivio and Mallon.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
hopefully, my Zags are back on the right track. with Sean Mallon's emergence as a strong senior leader, they look to be playing more solid basketball. until he emerged, Raivio was the only player who had a significant role on last year's team who was doing much this year... and their play showed that lack of experience.

really, they are playing just Mallon and Raivio and a bunch of freshmen, for all intents and purposes anyway. Heytvelt only played a handful of minutes last year due to the broken ankle, so this is practically his frosh season. Pargo is in about the same boat, only not due to injury, just playing time. Bouldin IS a freshman. Kuso is a typical first-year JuCO player. Downs got, what? 30 minutes of playing time as a freshman at Kansas? so he's practically a frosh, as well.

these guys are VERY young. they have the talent to make a run, but it's not about talent with them, i'm thinking. it's about getting mentally tough enough to put the nail in the coffin when they've got an opponent down. they haven't found the killer instinct yet, and so they have been the ones getting killed.

G

Josh had a career night against Pepperdine - 27 points, 22 rebounds, and 6 blocks. Looks like the team is definitely back on track after that rough patch against some major conference teams.

When you've got 'shrooms in the car, check your taillights!

Gonzaga basketball players arrested in Cheney
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

CHENEY, Wash. -- Gonzaga basketball players Josh Heytvelt and Theo
Davis were arrested Friday night after police found marijuana and
psychedelic mushrooms in their car during a traffic stop, an officer said.

Heytvelt, a starting forward and one of the team's top scorers, and Davis,
an injured freshman, were booked into Spokane County Jail for
investigation of drug possession. The amount of marijuana was only
enough for a misdemeanor, but possession of mushrooms is a felony,
Cheney Police Cmdr. Rick Campbell on Saturday.

Police pulled the car over because its tail lights were not working,
Campbell said. Officers smelled marijuana and searched the car, and the
players were cooperative, he said.

"It was close to midnight. They needed to have their lights on," Campbell
said.

Heytvelt, 20, of Clarkston, is averaging 15.5 points, 7.7 rebounds and 1.7
blocks per game as a 6-foot-11 sophomore. He trails only Derek Raivio,
at 18.4 points, in scoring for the Bulldogs.

Davis, 21, is red-shirting as a freshman after undergoing arthroscopic
surgery on his shoulder to repair ligament damage last October. He is
from Brampton, Ontario, but played most of his high school ball at
Luthern Christian Academy in Philadelphia.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Terrible news. Heytvelt was their best player. A very athletic 7-footer who was really coming into his own and the national spotlight this year. He's has had several monstrous dunks this year that have made highlight reels around the country. I hope he comes back at some point. Not sure of what I think a fair punishment is in this situation because of my bias. It will be interesting if Downs and Burgess get more playing time in his abscence. Espn televises their game against Santa Clara tommorrow night around midnight(eastern time).

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Heytvelt has been charged with a felony... link to news story. wow! i hope something good comes from this, but i don't know what it could be.

as an aside... how come theo davis, a red-shirt freshman, is older than Josh Heytvelt who is a red-shirt sophomore? davis must have been an honor student...
smiley2.gif

sunshine

Mentor
This is bad news. Heytvelt has a lot of upside and he has ups . There has been some buzz about the guy's character--other things not involving drugs--but from where I stand "evil" mushrooms are not a harbinger for the end of the world. To me big friggen deal but I don't write the laws in this country.
50-50 whether he gets into the NBA but I think it is wrong to shut him out. To me violent behaviour is where I draw the line--and this guy has no violent history that I know of so again what is the big deal especially where the NBA is concerned. The NBA yes that Catholic School of virtue-- --please give me a break..&nbsp ;&nbsp ;

whiteCB

Master
WOW!!! I can't believe Heytvelt had 33 grams worth of mushrooms. That is a sh#t TON! For those of you who don't know it only takes about 1.75 grams to trip. So I don't know what the hell he was doing with that much unless he was selling them or a middle guy.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
Disappointing he went this route as it hurts his team a lot. Gonzaga has stepped up its play a little after having a couple adjustment games. Hopefully they finish strong and win the WCC tournament or they may be NIT bound...

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
sunshine said:
This is bad news. Heytvelt has a lot of upside and he has ups . There has been some buzz about the guy's character--other things not involving drugs--but from where I stand "evil" mushrooms are not a harbinger for the end of the world. To me big friggen deal but I don't write the laws in this country.
50-50 whether he gets into the NBA but I think it is wrong to shut him out. To me violent behaviour is where I draw the line--and this guy has no violent history that I know of so again what is the big deal especially where the NBA is concerned. The NBA yes that Catholic School of virtue-- --please give me a break..   ;    ;

White players have to be like the ministers wife, above suspicion. This probably finishes him as a pro prospect. Heck white guys that star in college and have no negatives rarely get pro playing time. They WANT to weed the whites out and this is a perfect excuse. Cross this guy off of the list. Also: a non-violent crime is a negative, the pros are looking for thugs, it's a plus to them. Better he should have assaulted someone, then they might be interested. C'mon tripping on mushrooms, what an image that is! Think hippie. Who wants a hippie balling for them, not the NBA!

whiteCB

Master
jaxvid said:
sunshine said:
50-50 whether he gets into the NBA but I think it is wrong to shut him out. To me violent behaviour is where I draw the line--and this guy has no violent history that I know of so again what is the big deal especially where the NBA is concerned. The NBA yes that Catholic School of virtue-- --please give me a break..&nbsp ;;&nbs p;;

White players have to be like the ministers wife, above suspicion. This probably finishes him as a pro prospect. Heck white guys that star in college and have no negatives rarely get pro playing time. They WANT to weed the whites out and this is a perfect excuse. Cross this guy off of the list. Also: a non-violent crime is a negative, the pros are looking for thugs, it's a plus to them. Better he should have assaulted someone, then they might be interested. C'mon tripping on mushrooms, what an image that is! Think hippie. Who wants a hippie balling for them, not the NBA!

The NBA loved Bill Walton and I think its safe to safe Walton has done his share of trippin.
smiley36.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'll never forget Bill Walton commenting on Memphis sports radio that the Grizzlies coming to Memphis was "one of the 3 greatest events in the history of Western civilization".This isn't total proof, butyes, I agree that he's probably done his share of psychadelic drugs.

sunshine

Mentor
Bill Walton is a good name to bring up. It is a shame but the laws on soft drugs in this country are ultra strict . Hopefully Josh finds his way on an NBA team-but it could be like Anderson who was banned and likely not getting back.
On a brighter note bouncy Micah Downs is starting to look more comfortable on the court. I dread transfers because it takes them forever to recover from the layoff.

white tornado

Mentor
Did any one else think Josh's beard made him look like a civil war enactor.

whiteCB

Master
Heyvelt getting caught with over an ounce of shrooms makes me wonder why the hell he is dealing to begin with. Or he just a middle man peddling the stuff. Either way its never good to get busted with that many shrooms.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Gonzaga likely needs to win it's WCC tourament final against Santa Clara tonight to make the NCAA's. The game starts at 900pm eastern on ESPN. You guys should check out Santa Clara's monstrous front line. They have three white seven footers all in the 275 to 325 pound range. All of them are decent players as well.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
They beat Santa Clara tonight earning the automatic bid. Good luck to the Zags in the tournament.
smiley32.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i'm holding out hope that Santa Clara gets an invite to the Big Dance, as well, but i'm not very optimistic. they start 5 whites and play a VERY exciting style of basketball where all the players share the ball (all 5 starters average between 8 to 11 points per game).

they won 21 games this year, including snapping Gonzaga's 50-game home winning streak, and made it to the conference tourney championship game, so maybe they'll get a chance...

6'11" power forward Sean Dennison was the West Coast Conference co-Player of the Year (with Gonzaga's Derek Raivio). he led the Broncos in scoring and rebounding and shot a whopping 60% from the floor.

6'4" wing Scott Dougherty was also named to the All-WCC First team after lighting it up from three-point range and leading the team in scoring in conference games, as was combo guard Danny Pariseau. Danny was also named WCC Newcomer of the Year after leading the Broncos in assists and averaging 10 points per game.

5'11" point guard Brody Angley was named Honorable Mention All-WCC after finishing second on the team in assists and averagin 8.5 points per game.

Angley is an interesting example of caste treament. he was a record shattering tailback coming out of high school in northern California but wasn't recruited to play football.

their fifth starter, John Bryant, wasn't named all-conference, but he is a big kid (6'10" and 305 pounds) with good feet and soft hands who averaged a shade over 10 points and nearly 7 rebounds per game.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I hope they make it too, Jimmy Chitwood.There was a beautiful point in the game last night around the 11:00 minute mark in the first half where there were 10 white men on the floor. I felt like I had traveled back in time.
smiley2.gif
Is their a post season NIT tournament anymore. I think there is. Santa Clara should at least get a invite to that.

speedster

Mentor
The NIT is still around and with 40 teams getting invites Santa Clara has a shot.It would be great to see a mostly white team go all the way to MSG.

guest301

Hall of Famer
My guess is a 7 or 8 seed for both Gonzaga and Duke. That sucks because that would mean running into a 1 or 2 seed in the 2nd round. That would suck for those guys too running into Gonzaga and Duke so early. Depends on how you look at it.