Gonzaga Hoops ’06-’07

speedster

Mentor
Some of the bracketologists have the Zags more like a 10 to 12 seed and they won't be playing close to home as in Spokane but that's okay I like when the Zags are the underdog anyway.Edited by: speedster

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
I agree I like them more as the underdog, and the worst case scenario is them being 8 and 9 and playing each other in the first round...

guest301

Hall of Famer
Unfortunately with at least 15 white friendly teams making the tournament, we are going to have a few face each other early and knock each other out. My nightmare matchups are Duke -Gonzaga, Butler-Air Force and Notre Dame-Nevada. Hopefully the seedings will prevent such matchups before the sweet 16.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
there is GREAT news concerning Heytvelt! now he just needs to pull his head out of his butt, and leave all that stupid crap alone. here's to hoping a great talent turns into a great person and takes out his aggression on the basktetball court instead of with, er, other means.
smiley32.gif

http://www.khq.com/Global/story.asp?S=6216687

Josh Heytvelt pleads not guilty to drug charge

<DIV id=story style="DISPLAY: inline" name="story">

SPOKANE, Wash. - Suspended Gonzaga center Josh Heytvelt today pleaded not guilty to a charge of felony possession of a controlled substance and then was placed in a diversion program that will clear his record if he stays clean for one year.

The 20-year-old Heytvelt, from Clarkston, was arrested in Cheney on February 9th when police found hallucinogenic mushrooms in the back of her car. Heytvelt and teammate Theo Davis were immediately suspended from the team. Assistant Spokane County Prosecutor John Grasso says the diversion program is appropriate because Heytvelt has no criminal record and is a first-time offender. Grasso says Heytvelt will be required to spend 240 hours of community service, undergo random urinalysis and not commit other crimes for at least one year.

If he successfully complete the program, the charge will be dismissed. Coach Mark Few said yesterday that Heytvelt will remain on suspension through the NCAA tournament.

The Zags will face Indiana in their opening NCAA tournament game in Sacramento, California, on Thursday. Heytvelt is a 6-foot-11 sophomore who was Gonzaga's second-leading scorer, averaging 15 points per game, and its leading rebounder at nearly eight per game before his arrest and suspension.

in related news, it appears that Heytvelt will be allowed to re-join the team if he meets the requirements that Few, the legal system, and Gonzaga Univeristy have laid down for him.

The indefinite suspensions handed down to Gonzaga University basketball players Josh Heytvelt and Theo Davis following their arrests on drug possession charges last month will definitely last the rest of the season.

Bulldogs coach Mark Few confirmed that following Saturday afternoon's practice in preparation for the NCAA tournament, which starts later this week. But he added that both players are still enrolled in school, attending classes and doing what they need to do in order to be considered for reinstatement on the team once the legal procedures and university's Student Life process run their courses.

"That's been the plan all along," Few said. "When I originally set out to decide what we should do, it became crystal clear to me that we didn't need to play these two or have them on our team the rest of this year.

"But then we also need to make sure we help them and turn this into a positive story with a great ending. And that's what we're trying to do."

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/zags/story.asp?ID=178650

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
another good article about the situation with Josh.

Gonzaga Pulls Together by Leaving One Behind
<DIV ="byline">By Lee Jenkins</NYT_BYLINE>
<DIV ="timestamp">Published: March 13, 2007
<DIV id=article><NYT_TEXT>

SPOKANE, Wash., March 12 â€â€￾ The Gonzaga Bulldogs practice in a new campus arena filled with luxury suites, video screens and advertisements for Toyota and Pepsi.
<DIV ="byline">

Forward Josh Heytvelt works out next door in an old gym.

He was kept apart from the team for more than a month, then coaches decided last week that it was time to bring everybody together. So Heytvelt walked into McCarthey Athletic Center for practice Saturday and started shooting at one of the hoops.

Some of his teammates had not seen him since he was arrested Feb. 9 and charged with felony drug possession. He was suspended for the rest of the season.

The players greeted Heytvelt. They shook his hand. They offered their support.

Then they went back to doing what they have done for the past month â€â€￾ playing without him.

"It was kind of tense," said Derek Raivio, a senior point guard. "I thought it was a little strange to have him come over here. I didn't totally agree with it at first. But then they sent him back to the old gym, and we were able to get on with our practice."

A 6-foot-11 sophomore, Heytvelt has left a substantial void. He was the second-leading scorer on the team when, the police said, officers found more than an ounce of psychedelic mushrooms in the back of his car. Along for the ride was Theo Davis, a freshman forward who was arrested and charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession.

Heytvelt pleaded not guilty Monday and asked to be placed in a diversion program that could clear his record after a year. "I wish I could be a part of everything that is going on right now," Heytvelt told reporters.

Many college teams, numb to arrests and violations, would be writing Heytvelt's number on their high-tops right now, using his case as motivational fuel. But Gonzaga is a Jesuit university that is unaccustomed to scandal.

"What Josh did was pretty messed up," Raivio said. "It's like what I told the guys in the locker room, All we have is each other now."

In less than a decade, Gonzaga has accumulated all the trappings of an elite college basketball program: the new facilities, the charter flights, the top-10 rankings, the ESPN broadcasts, and most recently, the attention of the local police.

But the real evidence of the program's growth will be on display Thursday night when Gonzaga plays Indiana in the first round of the NCAAtournament. Every major college team faces off-court problems. The best ones are able to overcome them.

"We have had some tough times this season," forward David Pendergraft said. "But I think we can be one of those programs that make up the ground that we lost."

This year, no television crews came to Gonzaga for selection Sunday. No analysts picked the Bulldogs for the Final Four. They are seeded 10th in the West Region, reminiscent of 1999, four years after their first N.C.A.A. invitation, when they were seeded 10th and reached the Round of 8.

Back then, Gonzaga was an endearing upstart, just wading into the big time. Now, the Bulldogs are beginning to see the downside of major college sports.

"When Josh was arrested, we all sat in the office and asked ourselves what we should do, and we really didn't know," Athletic Director Mike Roth said. "We didn't have any experience with something like this. You think it happens to other schools."

It is difficult to compete with those other programs and not share any of their problems. Last season, Adam Morrison left Gonzaga early to become an N.B.A. lottery pick. This season, the Bulldogs were on ESPN more than any team except Duke.

Roth was left to wonder if all those television cameras and N.B.A. scouts, all that attention and distraction, somehow helped lead one of his players astray.

"I just don't buy into that," Roth said. "I don't think it changes who or what you are."

Coach Mark Few has been at Gonzaga for 15 years, and in the first 14, he did not hear of anyone on the team being arrested. Every coach dreads that early-morning phone call from a player stuck in jail, but Few had not had to take one.

Then the phone rang at 6 a.m. Feb. 10. By 6:30 a.m., the local news was broadcasting from the Spokane County Jail. By 10 a.m., the former Gonzaga player J. P. Batista was calling from Lithuania. Few finally recognized how far his program reached.

"It was like a punch to the gut," he said.

Arizona Coach Lute Olson and North Carolina Coach Roy Williams called with words of encouragement and tips about crisis management. College basketball, after all, has plenty of experience with drug arrests.

But it does not have so much experience with psychedelic mushrooms. They are mainly identified with the 1960s and '70s but remain popular on college campuses.

With Heytvelt suspended indefinitely, the Bulldogs lost at home for the first time in 50 games. Their lineup was so skinny that they had to use a four-guard offense. Their record was not good enough to merit an N.C.A.A. berth without winning their conference tournament.

Few just needed to go fly-fishing. It is what he always does when the stress of the job becomes unbearable. He retreats to the Spokane River or Coeur d'Alene River, where he is as famous for catching steelheads as he is for drawing up plays.

When he comes back, he is somehow able to come up with more plays than he did before.

"It's a big part of who I am," Few said. "Some guys play golf to wind down. I think golf would make me more upset."

Sitting in his office the night of selection Sunday, Few showed off a photograph of a 52-pound king salmon he caught and released in Alaska. He was asked what river it came from. "I can't tell you," he said. "That would be like a magician telling his tricks."

Few is more open about his basketball team and the changes it underwent midstream. In the West Coast Conference final, Jeremy Pargo hobbled on an injured leg, and Raivio played with a stomach virus. At one point, Raivio drew a foul, went to the bench to vomit, then ran back onto the floor.

This is why college basketball fans fell for the Bulldogs in the first place â€â€￾ their toughness, their resilience, their willingness to spill their guts.

"I don't want to sound cocky," Gonzaga guard Micah Downs said. "But I believe we can go as far in this tournament as anybody."

Players celebrated their bid Sunday by taking half-court shots, cracking each other up with chicken dances and challenging reporters to 3-point shooting contests.

Gonzaga has kept its personality while improving its talent. Now, the roster includes top recruits and transfers. Downs, for instance, is a 6-foot-8 transfer from Kansas, too big to be covered by guards and too quick to be covered by forwards.

Few is optimistic that Heytvelt will rejoin the group next season. He is enrolled in classes while the district attorney's office investigates his case and the university investigates whether he broke its code of conduct.

Few meets with Heytvelt, talking to him about classwork and basketball. He says it is important that Heytvelt be around the team again.

Only now, the dynamic has shifted. Heytvelt's teammates do not seem to be looking for his support. They are trying to show that they can advance on their own.
</NYT_LINE>Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
here are a couple of excellent stories that make me proud to continue to root for the Zags.

davidpendergraft.jpg

Pendergraft seems like he was born to be a Zag

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=10 width=290 align=right><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>Tuesday, March 13, 2007
HOWIE STALWICK for The Columbian

Guy from small town is key part of Gonzaga's success

SPOKANE -- There once was a time when Gonzaga was this quaint little Catholic school on the banks of the Spokane River.

It's basketball team played lightweights in a 2,000-seat gym and had a recruiting budget that would pay for a few tanks of gas and a couple nights in a Motel 6.

But then Gonzaga went big time, winning NCAA Tournament games and attracting attention from across the country.

Inevitably, the overachieving Northwest youngster who dreams of playing for the Zags will sometimes be bypassed for a more talented but perhaps less enthralled recruit.

And then there's David Pendergraft, who represents all things good about the past and present of Gonzaga basketball. He's just a small-town kid from nearby Brewster with a shock of red hair, a deep and abiding love for all things Gonzaga and a constant smile when not banging bodies with players six inches taller and 50 pounds heavier.

"He's everything a Zag is all about," Gonzaga coach Mark Few said.

"He epitomizes what a Zag is," Bulldog guard Derek Ravio agreed.

Pendergraft has drawn more attention from fans and media in recent weeks by bumping up his numbers since Josh Heytvelt left the team. Rest assured, however, that Pendergraft was greatly appreciated by Gonzaga insiders long before his stats sheet added some gloss.

"The heart, the effort that just comes with every minute he's on the floor -- he's been a big part of this run down the stretch,"Few said.

Pendergraft, a 6-foot-6, 223-pound junior, is averaging 11.4 points and 5.1 rebounds in eight games since Heytvelt's depature. Pendergraft averaged 4.4 points and 4.2 rebounds before Heytvelts suspension.

"He's always had a game like that, Raivio said. It's not surprising to me."

"As a leader and teammate of these guys, thats what I need to be doing," Pendergraft said.

Few continues to bring Pendergraft off the bench to take advantage of the energy boost Pendergraft provides. Pendergraft could use a few extra minutes of rest to prepare himself for his nightly battles with bigger and stronger post players whom he must defend even more often now that the 6-11, 238-pound Heytvelt is absent.

"I don't mind it at all,"Pendergraft said with his usual mix of enthusiasm and optimism. "I can use my quickness as a smaller guy getting around the post instead of trying to use brute strength."

Pendergraft's ability to adjust mentally and physically to whatever best serves the team is a trait that has made him a valued reserve since his freshman year. This was a young man destined and determined to be a Zag -- he made a non-binding verbal commitment to accept a scholarship at Gonzaga as a high school sophomore, the earliest commitment in team history -- and he's been a great fit with the Bulldogs on and off the court ever since he arrived on campus.

"David's just a happy-go-lucky guy," Raivio said. "He's just a great person."

Not to mention a pretty fair player, as Pendergraft demonstrated last week when pouring in a career-high 22 points against San Diego in the semifinals of the West Conference Conference tournament. One night later, Pendergraft was named to the all-tournament team after scoring 12 points in Gonzaga's title game win over Santa Clara.

"He's on a roll right now," Raivio said. "We look for it to keep going."

"We've kind of taken on an underdog role since the (Heytvelt drugs) incident about a month ago," Pendergraft said. "I think it helped in jelling on the team. Guys have stepped up, knowing they had to do more."

Doing more, scoring more, rebounding more -- Pendergraft is accomplishing all that, but hes not working more. With Pendergraft, the Bulldogs were already getting the maximum amount of sweat permitted by law.

http://www.columbian.com/sports/localNews/03132007news115107 .cfm

Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
and this one on the talented but troubledMicah Downs...

micahdowns.jpg

<H2>Rise of Downs </H2>
<H4 =deck>Through some trying times, the sophomore is emerging as a star</H4>
Steve Bergum
Staff writer
March 13, 2007

The question was posed to Micah Downs on Sunday, shortly after he and his Gonzaga University teammates had learned the NCAA had awarded them a No. 10 seed in the West Region of its prestigious postseason men's college basketball tournament.

"If you had stayed at Kansas, you'd be a No. 1 seed right now," someone noted. "Any regrets?"

"No regrets whatsoever," answered the 6-foot-8 sophomore and former McDonald's High School All-American, who transferred from KU last winter after spending only one semester with the Jayhawks.

"I'll take the 10 at Gonzaga any day."

Downs' response, while brief, comes across as a resounding testimonial to the GU program, considering it came from an admittedly troubled young man and basketball nomad, of sorts, who has struggled to fit it at many of the stops he made prior to arriving in Spokane.

Downs, who attended seven different high schools in three different states on his way to becoming one of the most sought-after prep recruits in the country, arrived at Gonzaga with an excess of emotional baggage. And he shouldered another suitcase or two while struggling through the transfer process and dealing with the very real possibility of falling into academic hell.

He remembers that period, in late December of 2005, as one of the most trying of his young life.

"I don't want to make excuses," Downs said, recalling those dark days of December, "but I did transfer in late and the whole process of transferring - moving, traveling back and forth, talking to NCAA officials, dealing with the coaches back at Kansas and dealing with family stuff - caused a lot of distractions and stress.

"Nobody outside of the basketball team knew it, but I was on the brink of not being eligible because of my academics. I failed some classes and my GPA was really low. It was the low point in my life."

Downs eventually managed to get his academic act together and remain eligible, but admits he was on the edge, emotionally.

"I don't know if I was actually clinically depressed, or whatever," he explained. "I didn't need a psychiatrist or anything, and I never contemplated suicide or anything like that, so I don't think it went that far.

"But I was really down, and I was upset a lot."

At the time, Downs was also dealing with what he calls a "troubled relationship" with his estranged family and trying - with the help of counseling - to regain a trust in people he claims he lost during his short stays at various high schools.

"It was tough," he admitted of having to make new friends at schools in Nevada, Montana and Washington, where he spent his junior year at Bothell High, before transferring to Juanita, where he averaged 24.8 points and 12.2 rebounds as a senior. "I've gotten some good things out of it, but I've developed some bad habits and bad personality traits, as well.

"I'm a nice person and I get along with people pretty well, but because of all the moves we made, I have a hard time trusting people and believing what they say. But since I've been here, I've been seeing a couple of counselors and other people who work with athletes on the mental part of basketball and the mental part of life, and they've helped me straighten that part out."

Downs refused to go into detail about his family problems but did admit that, until recently, he was not on speaking terms with his father, Steven, whose job as a construction worker was at the root of several - but not all - his family's moves.

"My dad also had a troubled relationship with his father growing up as a kid," Downs explained. "But they've mended things. He's working through a lot of things again now, and he's still working on changing parts of his personality and what he's like as a person.

"He has trouble trusting people, too, and buying into programs and things like that. So if things didn't go perfect - if there were any bumps along the road with my teammates or my coach through high school - we'd kind of want to move, and I picked up some of those attributes because of my dad."

When Downs left Kansas, internet message boards were filled with comments and opinions about the reason behind his departure. Lack of playing time, girlfriend problems, poor grades, disdain for his Jayhawks teammates and a domineering father were among the many explanations - most of them way off base, according to Downs - that were offered.

There were reports, for instance, that Downs' father had accompanied him to Lawrence, Kan., where he played in 13 games and averaged 4.3 points and 2.2 rebounds during his first semester as a freshman.

"That was another one of the faulty rumors," Downs said. "I was down there by myself. No one moved down there with me."

The main reason behind his transfer, he explained, was his desire to become part of a family - like the one he claims to have found at Gonzaga, his "second choice" of colleges coming out of high school.

"I wanted to take a visit here," he recalled, "but I took a visit down to Kansas and made my decision. It was a dumb mistake, but I learned from it.

"I just didn't fit well down there. No knock on them. They were decent human beings, but I just needed to get away. I wasn't even happy playing basketball anymore, so I thought, 'If this is the way I feel, I need to do something about it.' "

Since arriving at GU, Downs seems to have made strides in learning to trust people again. He insists he is as happy as he has been in years, and feels completely at ease as a member of the Bulldogs team he joined in early January after sitting out the first semester under the NCAA's transfer rule and then missing five games with a broken foot.

"Gonzaga's just been great," said Downs, who is averaging 8.4 points and 3.6 rebounds in his 16 games as a Zag. He played a key role in GU's two-game West Coast Conference tournament title run by scoring 28 points, chasing down 20 rebounds and earning a spot on the all-tournament team.

"The coaches have been understanding, and my teammates have been awesome. They've helped me a lot."

Junior forward David Pendergraft, who roomed with Downs over the summer, said he had heard about his future teammate's personal problems prior to his arrival at GU and had some doubts about whether he would fit in.

"But now that I've gotten to know him and lived with him for a summer, I can see that he's really matured a lot as a human being. And I think that's helped him out a lot with his relationships with other people."

Pendergraft never asked Downs about his troubled past.

"People aren't going to open up and talk to me about stuff like that, and that's fine," he said. "What's important is the here and now, so I told him, 'Let's start off on the right foot and get things the way they should be.'

"I get the feeling he likes it here a lot better than Kansas. He likes the guys here better, and the coaching staff, too, because I think we treat him like he needs to be treated."

Bulldogs coach Mark Few admits that he, too, had reservations about bringing Downs on board. And Downs' inability to stick it out at any of the high schools he attended - or Kansas, either - was at the top of his list of concerns.

"After talking with him, there were numerous reasons for all the changes," Few explained. "But at the end of the day, there were numerous changes. So when he came here, we told him he was going to have to show some stick-to-itiveness and hang with it through some adversity.

"We explained that this was probably his last stop on the Division I train, and that he was going to have to make it work."

Downs started slow, seeing only limited minutes, after coming off his injury. But in recent weeks, he has emerged as one of the Bulldogs' top scoring options and most energetic rebounders.

"The biggest change is that he's had a bigger and better opportunity to show what he's capable of doing," Few said. "And he's done a phenomenal job of that. With the way he shoots the ball and with the great feel he has for the game, the more he's out there, the more he's going to be able to show."

Few also likes the way Downs has made himself a trusted member of Gonzaga's basketball family.

"I don't know that he's had great team experiences in the past," Few said. "So it's been really valuable for him to get around some good teammates and really enjoy - savor, even - being part of a team.

"I don't think he's ever really had that, and the fact that he's found it here also speaks volumes about the kind of guys on this team that would let somebody come in at midyear like Micah did. He's taking minutes away from somebody, and he's taking shots away from somebody, yet they've embraced him, and I think that's really helped him."

Yet to be resolved, however, are Downs' complex, and extremely personal, family issues. But even those, he said, are slowly sorting themselves out.

"My folks haven't seen me play for quite awhile," Downs said. "We've had a troubled relationship the last couple of years, but we're working on straightening things out. Things have gotten a lot better since I transferred. I'm talking with them again, and I know they're going to want to eventually come to a game."

Until the day arrives, though, Downs will remain focused on doing what he can to help Gonzaga extend its season, which continues Thursday in Sacramento, Calif., where the Bulldogs will face seventh-seeded Indiana in the opening round of the NCAA tournament.

"He's still got a lot of room to grow," Few said of Downs. "We're hoping that the qualities of all the great players and kids in our program will continue to rub off on him, and that he'll take on even more of those characteristics."

speedster

Mentor
Winds of change at Gonzaga.Long-time assistant-coach Bill Grier has left and is now the head-coach at San Diego.Ray Giacoletti who was the head-coach at Eastern Washington and Utah replaces Grier.Walk-on Jordan Mast as well as Pierre Cespedes and David Burgess have left.So probably for the first time in their history the Zags will have a black majority.The black guys are Brown,Davis,Daye,Gurganious,Kuso,Sacre and Pargo and the White guys are Bouldin,Downs,Foster,Heytvelt,Pendergragt and Sorensen.Despite this all the White guys except Sorensen will get minutes.Last time I posted about the Zags becoming a black majority a PITBULL,frothing at the mouth,thought I was a troll.Down boy.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Giacoletti will surely be more Caste like than Grier, and the recruiting will probably bear that out. This is sad news!
smiley7.gif

speedster

Mentor
Not sure where Burgess is going since he has already transfered once already from BYU to the Zags and I don't think you can transfer twice in D1.