Future of sports coverage

sunshine

Mentor
Last week Lebron James was on the cover of SI. This week Nascar. Meanwhile the NHL's unprecedented cancellation of an entire season was relegated to secondary status. To me the Lebron/Nascar covers indicate a disturbing trend. Nascar does caste no good whatsoever because it does not play into our field of interest. People are free to enjoy it but for caste it is neither here nor there. Trouble is Nascar may be used as an" excuse" to cover white "athletes" when in fact all it does is likelyreinforce the idea that blacks are real athletes and whites are simply inferior. The point is Nascar which is all white does not at the end of the day help caste and in fact may be harmful. I would argue that golf pretty much falls into that category as well. And bowling too just to throw that in. Not to belittle these sports but they simply cannot help us here at caste. Nascar is NOT a viable alternative to hockey any way you slice it.

bigunreal

Mentor
I agree with you completely. I have never understood the attraction of
auto racing, and NASCAR's upsurge in popularity in recent years
completely befuddles me. IMHO, auto racing fits perfectly as the
stereotypical "white trash" sport. The elitist picture of trailer parks
full of pot bellied inhabitants drinking their Budweiser and cheering
at cars racing around in circles is sadly a pretty accurate
generalization. Despite its alleged popularity, NASCAR's "athletes" are
not worshiped or idolized like NBA and NFL players.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I agree with what you have said, however, it would be interesting to test some of the best NASCAR drivers for athleticism. Most of them are in pretty good shape. I can't think of a fat one, whereas lots of football/baseball and even some baseketball players are pigs. I know they get quite a workout behind the wheel. I bet they work harder then most baseball players. You have to lock every muscle in your body and guide a car at inhuman speeds for hours at a time. It's hot, cramped, and your life is at stake. Have you ever seen a view from a camera in one of those cars?

I bet they work out. I wonder if any of them have been in any of those junk sports shows where they compete against athletes from other sports?

I would disagree that they are not idolized. They are absolutely idolized by some of the most hardcore fans in the world. And I'm sure they would sneer at castefootball fans that spend their time paying attention to all of the black dominated sports while they watch only white guys compete. (Not criticizing as I am a basefootbasketball fan too)

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It's curious how this site doesn't seem to have any NASCAR fans, at least among the regular and semi-regular posters. I would think the hand-eye coordination of driversis as good or better than the athletes of any other sport, as well as the size of their cajones, but I understand what Sunshine is saying, too. They're kind of like the kicker position being all white in football; it doesn't help raise consciousness about the Caste System and how it's maintained.

The Sporting News gives NASCAR a lot of coverage, more than any other sports except football and basketball. And they don't cover golf and tennis at all except for occasional stories about the major tournaments, and hockey coverageis minimal (and now non-existent with the lockout).

The Daytona 500 is on the cover of Sports Illustrated this week whereas a tennis player, hockey player or team, or white golfer almost never is similarly featured.

NASCAR is one of the few "throwbacks" we have leftof white culture. Everything about it is white oriented whether consciously or subconsciously. Many of its fans wear/fly the Confederate flag. To the extent whites in any numbers canbe educatedto comprehendthe actual agenda ofthe sports/media complex in this country, NASCAR fans should be among them in representative numbers.Edited by: Don Wassall

Sometime in the early 1970's, Howard Cosell made an interesting remark. Cosell said, "Race car drivers are better athletes than are baseball players." Yes, Cosell said that. I don't have it in front of me, but Cosell repeated it in one of his books. He mentioned the extraordinary hand-eye coordination that a race car driver must have.

Cosell never really liked baseball, except for Jackie Robinson and the Brooklyn Dodgers. When he said that NASCAR drivers were more athletic than baseball players, it reflected that inclination. Still, a bit surprising.

I am from the South and was a lifelong sports fan starting in childhood , though I've outgrown it now. Still, I never have been a NASCAR fan.

sunshine

Mentor
Don mentions lack of coverage of sports like hockey and tennis in the media and it is instructive. Glancing at SI covers over recent years,which I consider the best media barometer, it is strikingto see sofew tennis and hockey covers . In fact there has not been a male tennis cover star on SI since Agassi in spring of 1999!! We are talking 6 years. Whoaa. Hockey covers have virtually disappeared the last few years.Track and field also has been given short shrift. What disturbs beyond the obvious(media shying away from spectacular white athletes) is that tennis, hockey and track and field are standard old fashioned sports with rich histories particularly track and tennis. The only white tennis star to be featured since Agassi was Sharapova after Wimbledon in 2003.

As for Nascar driversI am sure they are pretty fit etc.. but we know that for caste Nascar simply does not fit into our agenda. And good for people who like it.I simplyprefer baseball, basketball, football, tennis, soccer, hockey and track.Interesting posts.

sunshine

Mentor
My mistake. I should know better.
smiley1.gif
SI had a Kournikova cover story since 1999albeit a puff piece. Speaking of tennis beautiesI see Sharapova is playing Daniela Hantuchova today. Talk about easy on the eyes!!! They squared off last year at Wimbledon.

okra63

Guru
I think white people are getting done over in sports coverage, because they are not allowed to make any big plays and are not allowed to play period.

okra63

Guru
I would love to get to see Kournikova in person. I might not be able to control myself. Never could tell though pictures could lie. Her face isn't all that!