Free Agency 2008

itsme

Guru
Following the Donte' Stallworth signing, Joe Jurevicius will become a slot receiver in Cleveland.

Jurevicius is still efficient, so he should be good inside. However, the Browns don't use frequent three-receiver sets. His numbers will go down.
smiley11.gif

whiteCB

Master
Don Wassall said:
Donte Stallworth signed with Cleveland, which ends Joe Jurevicius's two years as a starter.

Hey now I wouldn't guarantee that Don. I know this is the NFL we are talking about and a white guy playing WR but don't put it in stone that Joe will be riding the pine. Crennel loves Joe and I really think that Stallworth will be the #3 WR. Jurevicious had a productive 2007 season and I can tell you that it is no guarantee he'll lose his starting job.

I see the Browns going to more passing formations. Between Edwards(who seems OK), Stallworth, JJ and Winslow(an *******, but he'll only be there a couple more seasons before testing free agency) catching passes, they have little reason not to. Plus, when healthy, Jamal Lewis doesn't need a power formation to run effectively.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
I tend to agree that Joe won't lose his starting spot. I dont really think Stallworth is that great as a #2 guy anymore. He'd be a great compliment to the much taller and bigger Jurevicious and Edwards on the outside. However, the NFL's coaches are pretty sh*tty, so perhaps Joe (6' 5") will be playing the slot after all
smiley36.gif
....what a joke.

dwid

Hall of Famer
saints did need an upgrade on the defensive side though, not saying vilma is an upgrade , he is overrated , plus he has that bone disease so i see him being very injury prone in the future, we needed someone better, not this guy, we couldve found a better mlb, theres a good reason the jets got rid of him

And in the middle of all this, the Steelers sign Big Ben to a $36M guaranteed, $102M 6 or 8 yr deal.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Niko Koutovides, former Seahawks LB signed with Denver. too bad, he could have a shot at starting at OLB with Bucs, now will be competing with Jordan Beck for a backup MLB...
smiley11.gif
Edited by: backrow

Dammit, really wanted to see Beck start.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Cardinals agreed to terms with OLB/DE Travis LaBoy on a five-year, $22 million contract, according to NFL Network.

He's going to play with his hand up in Arizona. LaBoy dealt with various injuries as a Titan, but he brought pressure on the rare times when healthy. He had six sacks and forced four fumbles in 2007. LaBoy will compete with Bertrand Berry to be the Cards' starting right outside linebacker in training camp.

Berry is coming off 3 consecutive subpar seasons and is 32, so i'd like to think that Travis has a good shot at starting. if he does, i expect multiple sack digits from him.

See, now I like LaBoy as a pass-rushing OLB better. He's around 250 or 255 and not 270, like Justin Smith(who plays the run very well to boot).

I read that the Vikings brought in Dallas Sartz for a workout. If he were to sign the Vikings would have the potential to have a Linebacking corps made up of 5 whites and 1 black

Chad Greenway, Ben Leber, Heath Farwell, Vinny Ciricu & Dallas Sartz (Black - E.J. Henderson)

backrow

Hall of Famer
how about Bucs!

they signed Matt McCoy and Teddy Lehman, bringing their white LB total to 3! Lehman has a shot at being Ruud's top backup and McCoy could easily stick as ST/3rd OLB with eventual starting chance down the line...

let's all hope!

I honestly like Lehman over Ruud, esp. in a Cover-2 scheme, but Ruud has earned the job and shouldn't lose it unless he performs poorly.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Ruud's tackle totals dropped noticeably the second half of the season -- 78 tackles in TB's first 8 games vs. 36 in the final 8. I don't have any insight into why that might have happened. Hopefully it was nothing more than a slump in his first year as a starter and not a trend.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Tyler Brayton signed with Panthers, where he will compete to start at RDE.

Stonewall

Guru
Gentlemen, what are your thoughts on our white players signing with these caste teams that are void of white players? Look at what's going on. Justin Smith in San Francisco. Travis LeBoy in Arizona. Tyler Brayton in Carolina. By no means do I have any right to condemn a player for looking out for his financial welfare. Nonetheless, we need another team like the Falcons of 4-5 years ago that featured 5 white starters on defense (and played deep into the playoffs).

I watched a little of the Super Bowl following the 1996 season last night on the NFL Network, and saw how much of a beast Ted Johnson was. New England would be wise to bring in a young Johnson type to replenish their aging LB corps. It would also be nice to see the Patriots draft a white stud defensive end.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Patriots are looking into bringing Adam Seward in, he'd cost them 5th rounder but he has all they need in 3-4 ILB. that would be a great move for both Pats and Adam.

here's an articleEdited by: backrow

Stonewall

Guru
Thanks for the info, backrow. Seward seems to be the prototypical Patriot linebacker in a number of ways: fits the scheme, would be acquired at a low cost, and is extremely physical. An all-around very nice acquisition.

The draft world seems to think that New England is going to go with a cornerback with their first round pick in the 7th spot.

I know it wasn't a big story and may have been missed by some, but Kevin Kasper was signed by the Browns a few days ago. I think its about time he was given a legitimate shot, this guy has been trying to break into the league for years.

jared

Mentor
Pretty good year for white free agents this year. Guys like Kircus and Kasper aren't just fading into the sunset. Hopefully Jerheme Urban gets resigned by the Cards and David Ball and Mike Hass get a shot.

The Rams signed Anthony Becht. Unfortunately he will be in direct competition with a young White TE I really like, Klopfentstein, while Black Criminal Randy McMichael will likely be handed the starting Job for at least another season.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Dan Morgan signed a year contract with Saints, he will compete with Scott Shanle on the weakside according to sources. we might yet see snow patrol in NO, if Vilma gets injured and Morgan stays healthy.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Matt_Bowen_Fan said:
Dammit, really wanted to see Beck start.

well, he won't for now but Nico K. will be their starter at MLB!
smiley32.gif

from the article in Denver Post:

"Boss becomes a Bronco
By Bill Williamson
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 03/06/2008 04:40:06 PM MST

Denver Broncos CB Champ Bailey, left, and his brother Detroit Lions LB Boss Bailey are leaving the field after the game at Ford Field in Detroit on Sunday. Detroit won 44-7. (Hyoung Chang / The Denver Post)There is a new Bailey in Denver.

The Broncos agreed to terms with Detroit linebacker Boss Bailey on a five-year contract today. The contract will be worth between $17.5 and $20.5 million.

Bailey is the younger brother of Broncos star left cornerback Champ Bailey. He will start at strong-side linebacker with D.J. Williams moving to weak-side linebacker.

Newly signed Niko Koutouvides will get the opportunity to be a full-time starter at middle linebacker for the first time in his career.

"I think this is a good deal for everyone involved," Bailey's agent, Jack Reale said."

on top of that Stewart Bradley is a new starter at MLB for the Eagles. it might be a nice year for white LBs!Edited by: backrow

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Koutouvides was going to start for the Seahawks at MLB until Lofa Tatupu came on strong immediately as a rookie and won the job.Koutouvidesshould do well for the Broncos, and Bradley will toostarting forthe Eagles.

Now if only the Cowboys would trade Bobby Carpenter. . . Edited by: Don Wassall

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
The Bears signed freaking brandon lloyd. They have signed an old washed up WR in booker and a never was in lloyd and will not give Hass even a legitimate chance it seems. A very frustrating day for all of us.
smiley11.gif