Former KNBR sports radio host settles law

Bear-Arms

Mentor
A former talk-show host for the San Francisco Giants' flagship radio station who was fired last year after making racial remarks about players on the team settled a lawsuit with the station Monday.

Larry Krueger said his suit was settled in San Francisco Superior Court, though he signed a confidentiality agreement that keeps him from disclosing the terms of the settlement.

Krueger and producer Tony Rhein sued their former employer in October, claiming they were used as scapegoats in the flap. They accused KNBR-AM of firing them to appease the team so it wouldn't pull its broadcast contract with the station. KNBR owns approximately 1.5 percent of the team.

"I'm more than pleased with the way it was settled," the 36-year-old Krueger, now working for two other stations, said in a phone interview. "I'm very happy about it. It's officially in the rear view."

On Aug. 3 last year, Krueger ranted about the struggling Giants on a show after their 3-2 loss to the Colorado Rockies. He complained about too many "brain-dead Caribbean hitters hacking at slop nightly" and said manager Felipe Alou's "mind has turned to Cream of Wheat."

Krueger apologized and was suspended for a week without pay.

After that, Alou called the one-week suspension "a slap on the hand" and said he wouldn't accept an apology from Krueger.

"He came to apologize to me? You have to be kidding me," Alou said one day after the suspension. "There's no way to apologize for such a sin."

Tony Salvadore, KNBR's vice president and general manager, later announced the firings of Krueger, Rhein and program manager Bob Agnew after KNBR's morning crew played "inappropriate comedy sound bytes" mocking Alou's reaction to the remarks six days later.

The lawsuits, filed separately by Krueger and Rhein, charged Susquehanna Radio, KNBR and Salvadore with wrongful termination and defamation, among other things. Rhein's suit is still pending.

They claimed Salvadore had praised Krueger's remarks as "fantastic" and ordered the clip to be replayed on the air and posted on the station's Web site.

Krueger and Rhein also said a statement by Salvadore posted on KNBR's Web site explaining the firings omitted key facts of the case and damaged their professional reputations, according to the suits, which ask for unspecified amounts in damages.

Salvadore, reached at KNBR on Monday night, said, "We don't comment on that."

Krueger is now working full-time doing sports commentary for KGO and part-time on the weekends for KHTK of Sacramento.

Source