Forgotten White Athletes?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
With the 2023 World Championships of Athletics less than 1 week away I want to pay tribute to the Best Hungarian Sprinter Ever!

Wikipedia The Free Encyclopedia

Attila Kovacs​

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the Hungarian Olympic fencer, see Attila Kovács (fencer).
The native form of this personal name is Kovács Attila. This article uses Western name order when mentioning individuals.
Attila Kovács (born September 2, 1960 in Szekszárd) is a former Hungarian sprinter. He is an 11-time Hungarian 100 metre champion, and a 4-time 200 metre champion.

Best performances​

• 100 m: 10.09 (+0.3) in Miskolc (1987)
  • 200 m: 20.11 (+0.7) in Miskolc (1987)
He also won the 60 metre Indoor title 3 times.

In 1984, he finished 2nd in 100 metres in the Friendship Games in Moscow behind Osvaldo Lara of Cuba.

In 1985 he was European cup B 100 Metre winner.

In 1986 he represented Hungary in the 100 metres in Stuttgart in the European Championships where he reached the final and finished 7th.

In 1987 he was 4th in the World Championships in the 100 metres, originally 5th but advanced one place after the disqualification of Ben Johnson of Canada.

External links​

Stub icon This biographical article relating to Hungarian athletics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.

Categories:

• This page was last edited on 13 July 2023, at 03:59

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Hungary Sprinter Attila Kovacs

1691681215-temp-bgnAAJ_cover.jpg

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I've never heard anyone here talk about the Womens Long Jump World Record Holder. Galina Chistyakova set the
reigning world record in the womens long jump way back in 1988 and she was with the USSR(Now Russia & other countries).
Her world record has to be one of the oldest & longest lasting world records recorded. I hope it's never broken unless one of
our girls does this. I want the men to get the record back but we are in the top 3 longest mens jumps ever!

maxres.jpg

W Long Jump - Galina Chistyakova - 7.52m - Leningrad (USSR) - 1988 - World Record​

Records!

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
The longest triple jump ever, by the greatest ever triple jumper.
Incredible speed, and beautiful technique.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The longest triple jump ever, by the greatest ever triple jumper.
Incredible speed, and beautiful technique.

Just so impressive. I watched it about a half dozen times. What a superb athlete with perfect form!

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
If you watch the Jonathan Edwards video on youtube, you can also read the comments, which are all complimentary.
I read there, that apparently Edwards was faster than Linford Christie and Colin Jackson over 30m. In fact Christie himself confirmed that.
I wonder how fast he would have run the 100m?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
If you watch the Jonathan Edwards video on youtube, you can also read the comments, which are all complimentary.
I read there, that apparently Edwards was faster than Linford Christie and Colin Jackson over 30m. In fact Christie himself confirmed that.
I wonder how fast he would have run the 100m?
I was wondering that myself. He just looks so fast and powerful.

AC55

With the 2023 World Championships of Athletics less than 1 week away I want to pay tribute to the Best Hungarian Sprinter Ever!

Wikipedia The Free Encyclopedia

Attila Kovacs​

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the Hungarian Olympic fencer, see Attila Kovács (fencer).
The native form of this personal name is Kovács Attila. This article uses Western name order when mentioning individuals.
Attila Kovács (born September 2, 1960 in Szekszárd) is a former Hungarian sprinter. He is an 11-time Hungarian 100 metre champion, and a 4-time 200 metre champion.

Best performances​

• 100 m: 10.09 (+0.3) in Miskolc (1987)
  • 200 m: 20.11 (+0.7) in Miskolc (1987)
He also won the 60 metre Indoor title 3 times.

In 1984, he finished 2nd in 100 metres in the Friendship Games in Moscow behind Osvaldo Lara of Cuba.

In 1985 he was European cup B 100 Metre winner.

In 1986 he represented Hungary in the 100 metres in Stuttgart in the European Championships where he reached the final and finished 7th.

In 1987 he was 4th in the World Championships in the 100 metres, originally 5th but advanced one place after the disqualification of Ben Johnson of Canada.

External links​

Stub icon This biographical article relating to Hungarian athletics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.

Categories:

• This page was last edited on 13 July 2023, at 03:59
He would have been well under 10-flat with today's tracks and carbon shoes (as would many others).

SneakyQuick

Mentor
His son Cobus was on SA's 2019 Rugby World Cup-winning squad!
Not was, is!! Hahaha And scored a couple of nice tries the other day. Cobus is 5’10 190 lbs or so and quick as lightning. If he were in the us he would make a great running back.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Christophe Lemaitre made history on the July 4th, 2010 by running the first wind legal sub 10 by a white sprinter ever!

This one french who can fly.

FrenchFly.

The Blonde Bullet.

The Master.

PepeLeFlew.

White Lightning.

So many nicknames. Simply the most exciting sprinter on the planet! I will celebrate this day for the whole weekend. I wonder if he will still run in the 200? Could he go for the double crown as they planned? I don't care either way. I can't wait to see this race!

I hope someone gets a link very quickly.

Guys, remember this day for the rest of your lives. Now he can concentrate on bigger and better things. The weight of the world was on his shoulders but no more. HE HAS DONE IT!

Congrats Christophe. We are so proud of you!

mastermulti

Master
since he now qualifies as a "forgotten white guy" I found this interesting - Bolt and Powell recently talking about Lemaitre.
They both think he was thrown in the deep end and should have been able to develop more slowly. They think he would have run faster

white lightning

Hall of Famer
since he now qualifies as a "forgotten white guy" I found this interesting - Bolt and Powell recently talking about Lemaitre.
They both think he was thrown in the deep end and should have been able to develop more slowly. They think he would have run faster

Good to see the respect. We all know he was capable of so much more. Pressure, Stress & Anxiety to an introverted kid like Lemaitre
was not gonna ever produce the best results. Despite all of this he still won medals at the highest level even with unusual training
and a poor weight lifting program. I still respect the kid very much as he made HISTORY and no one can ever take that away from him!

NWsoccerfan

Mentor
Good to see the respect. We all know he was capable of so much more. Pressure, Stress & Anxiety to an introverted kid like Lemaitre
was not gonna ever produce the best results. Despite all of this he still won medals at the highest level even with unusual training
and a poor weight lifting program. I still respect the kid very much as he made HISTORY and no one can ever take that away from him!
I can’t remember which race it was but he was in his prime racing in the 100. He hit a top gear that I’ve never seen before. He kept pulling and pulling. He walked away from the field like they were all just jogging. It was really something else.

mastermulti

Master
I can’t remember which race it was but he was in his prime racing in the 100. He hit a top gear that I’ve never seen before. He kept pulling and pulling. He walked away from the field like they were all just jogging. It was really something else.
watch his race in Rabat 2014- as Justin Gatlin was running down Kim Collins Lemaitre ran them both down. He had an atrocious start and finished like a train- he wasn't even in the announcers call till 5 metres to go. Gatlin was very effusive in his praise (he may have been a cheat but I always thought he was a nice, respectful guy to other athletes).

mastermulti

Master
another multi-talented forgotten white athlete (most of you probably have no recollection of him at all) was a British 400m guy called
David Grindley. He was only around from 1992 to 1995 and is still Britain's fastest ever teenager, running 44.47 at 19.
IAAF tables also list him having a 2.32m high jump!!!
He put in some time and went off to become an airline pilot - the suit photo shows him now as a flight instructor
Look at his leg spring and commitment - 20 and unafraid ..... literally cruising and easing off in the last 10m.
One wonders what he could have done if he'd stayed in the sport for 5 more years or so
here is is running second leg to get his Bronze at Barcelona 1992

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    3.2 KB · Views: 1
  • gettyimages-498668604-1024x1024.jpg
    gettyimages-498668604-1024x1024.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

mastermulti

Master
he was never going to be the "complete" sprinter ...... but he was just so fast

mastermulti

Master
another of Grindley's 1992/93 runs. Look who he's racing here. A fighter and a shame to see him leave T&F so soon. He was the Brit that Roger Black most worried about racing because if on song he never gave up.