Finally! elected official does his job

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Georgia governor signs new law cracking down on illegal immigrants and the people who hire them. link

Georgia governor signs sweeping immigration law
Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:13pm ET
By Karen Jacobs

ATLANTA (Reuters) - The state of Georgia approved a sweeping measure on Monday to crack down on illegal immigrants and the people who hire them as a passionate debate on immigration heats up in the United States.

The law could fuel a national controversy as the federal government and other states consider how to deal with millions of undocumented workers while immigrants, many of whom are Hispanic, are displaying their political power through mass demonstrations in cities across the United States.

The Georgia Security and Immigration Compliance Act, signed into law by Gov. Sonny Perdue, denies many state services paid for by taxpayers to people who are in the United States illegally.

It also forces contractors doing business with the state to verify the legal status of new workers, and requires police to notify immigration officials if people charged with crimes are illegal immigrants.

"It's our responsibility to ensure that our famous Georgia hospitality is not abused, that our taxpayers are not taken advantage of and that our citizens are protected," Perdue said before signing the law.

Other provisions of the law prohibit employers from claiming a tax deduction for wages of $600 or more paid to undocumented workers, impose prison terms for human trafficking and limit the services commercial companies can provide to illegal immigrants.

Hundreds of thousands of people have demonstrated at rallies in major U.S. cities in recent weeks demanding rights for illegal immigrants in the United States.

"It's a punitive bill," said Sara Gonzalez, president and chief executive of the Georgia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. "This is a very complicated issue, and I don't see any good coming out of this."

Outside the Georgia Capitol, a few demonstrators cheered when word spread that the immigration bill had been signed. The measure had garnered overwhelming support in both houses of Georgia's Republican-controlled Legislature.

"If you are not a U.S. citizen, you should not receive a U.S. benefit," said Steve Bray, a Georgia resident who was waving a U.S. flag and said he supports legal immigration.

surfsider

Guru
Kudos to Georgia! A friend of mine's dad is a VP of a bank in Lawton, OK. A couple came in recently to open up a savings account for their three year old daughter. Oops, her SSN was already on a bank account... in Los Angeles. Citing privacy laws they would give the couple no more information than that and told them their was nothing they could do.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I think this may be a scheme by Sonny (The Liar) Perdue to get some conservative support in the next election. He has a flagger running against him for Governor. For those of you who may not know, Perdue was responsible for the new Confederate Battle flag-less Georgia state flag. When they let the people vote on a replacement in 2003, the only choices were the Barnes (yellow streak) flag, and a First National Confederate flag with the Georgia seal inside the stars. The 1956 flag with the Battle flag was not an option to vote for. Perdue won election on a promise that he would give the people a decision on the old flag, but he lied and the new(er) 2003 flag won. I could be wrong about his decision to go against immigration being associated with his opposition and the upcoming election, but I doubt it. By the way, here are the 3 flags I just mentioned, just so you know what they look like.

1956-2001 This flag was horribly replaced under the cover of darkness by the state legislature.

GeorgiaFlag1956.jpg

2001-2003 Yellow Streak Barnes/Legislature flag

georgia-flag.gif

2003-Present Perdue flag

us61_large.gif
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel Reb, you've touched a raw nerve here.

First of all, Sonny Perdue (check your spelling) is as upstanding a man as has ever held elected office anywhere in this land. I know him personally, and I know his family, and they truly are servants of the people, as political families should be. Sonny isn't an Atlanta carpetbagger; he represents the "real" Georgia that exists outside the Big Black Peach.

Sonny never lied about the flag. He promised that he would let the people of Georgia vote on the flag, and he made good on that promise. It was the Georgia legislature -- which is loaded with Phat-lanta Africans and self-loathing White liberals from the city -- that came up with the proposals that ultimately ended up on the referendum; the governor had no control over this process.

Sonny was as shocked as anyone that the 1956 flag wasn't included.

Still, the current Georgia flag is also based on a Confederate flag, and it is very similar to the pre-1956 flag. We can live with it.

Sonny has more guts than every other elected official combined, as evidenced by his stance against illegal immigration.

People who criticize Sonny for the flag deal frankly don't have a clue. And, yes, I'm including the various Confederate groups that have been calling for his head. Their anger should be directed at the legislature. It isn't, simply because "Sonny Lied" looks better on a bumper sticker than "The Georgia Legislature Failed to Include the Post-1956 Model On the Referendum."

Idiots. Don't believe the lies about Sonny Perdue. He's the best you'll ever find in government.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
SK, Isaw my typos last night, but couldn't edit it until this morning thanks to a board problem. Notice I spelled it right twice. Anyway, I didn't mean to hit a sore spot. From my outsider perspective, ifPerdue was so shocked, why didn't he act like it? Seems he tried to sidestep the issue. He's had chances to do something about it since and hasn't, at least not yet. I don't know about the rest of his governorship or him as a man, so I won't say anything aboutthat, but I think he has taken the cowards way out about the flag issue, just like all the other modern "Southern" politicians. He may be a great man who represents Georgia well on a lot of things. I am glad he did what he did about immigration, but I think there could be more to it than meets the eye. Maybe it's the conspiracy theorists on this site who have rubbed off on me, because I came up with that myself, not from any flagger site. No doubt, there are some flaggers who fight the governor when they should be looking at others as well, and who have their own agendas. You areright about the cowardly legislature, but from my observations about Perdue,itdoesn't add up either. Now, I'm going back to edit my post.
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

White warlord

Southern Knight said:
First of all, Sonny Perdue (check your spelling) is as upstanding a man as has ever held elected office anywhere in this land. I know him personally, and I know his family, and they truly are servants of the people, as political families should be. Sonny isn't an Atlanta carpetbagger; he represents the "real" Georgia that exists outside the Big Black Peach.

SK, man I know you stated that you know Mr. Perdue personally and you think very well of the man, I to have know two diff Politicians personally to an extent and trust me when I say this, they are all out for themselves every last one of the rotten jokers. While I know that I could very possibly be wrong about Mr. Perdue, in my case I accuse all politicians guilty until, proven innocent, simply for the fact that our system is screwed. It doesn't just go as far as the Race in America problem, its our schools, criminal justice system, the way the Rich and politicians bend the laws and avoid them because of "who they know", and how a greedy run-away capitalistic Economy has weeded and imbedded itself in our government and Elected officials. My point is SK if I where you I wouldn't trust anything, ANY politician does or say. I know for a fact that Mr. Perdue only signed and helped force immigration reform into law only AFTER 90% of white Americans got pissed about it. If he actually gave a damn he would have enforced or tired to enforce reform on immigration before people got mad. He did it only because he knew he had to do something. I could be wrong but like I said I judge all politicians Guilty until Innocent.Edited by: White warlord