Fields’ faithful steps

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Fields sounds like a good kid. He kind of reminds of Dale Murphy in a way. Not on the baseball field but his beliefs. Hopefully Fields will have a long career and bring some integrity back to the game.

Upon first glance, Josh Fields had a great 2007 season with the Chicago White Sox.

After being called up in June, the former Oklahoma State football and baseball player belted 23 home runs on his way to securing the third base position with the White Sox.

But while Fields was finding success on the diamond, he also found himself questioning if professional baseball was really what he wanted to do.

Fields shared the story of his 2007 triumphs and struggles during a Fellowship of Christian Athletes luncheon at the Holiday Inn Select on Wednesday afternoon. He told the 50 people in attendance that, at the end of last season, he seriously debated if he would walk away from the game.

"When I got my first taste of the big leagues in 2006, it was everything that I had dreamed about," Fields said. "But the further I got into my professional career, the more I had to deal with everything else that goes along with being a professional athlete. There were so many things going on in the clubhouse that I really questioned if professional baseball was for me. However, I prayed about it and realized there is nowhere I could have more influence
right now than in that clubhouse."

Fields, who owns the Oklahoma State record for most career touchdown passes (55) and set a Cotton Bowl record with 307 passing yards against Eli Manning and Mississippi in 2004, was asked if he had any regrets about giving up his football career after watching Manning lead the New York Giants to a Super Bowl title.

"My grandpa gave me a piece of advice when I was being recruited for college: Never look back and only look at what is ahead of you," Fields said.

"I've taken that to heart ever since and that piece of advice has brought me so much joy because I can truly enjoy what I have. I'm glad to say I have played against guys who are playing the NFL, but I've never questioned if I should still be playing against them."

After making his decision to continue playing professional baseball, Fields is now ready to enjoy what looks to be a promising 2008 season. He had 23 homers and 67 RBIs in just 373 at-bats last year and appears to be a bright spot for the rebuilding White Sox.

"Last year was a confidence-booster for me because now I can go into spring training and know that I have that experience," Fields said.

". . . I know I've battled through some low points and persevered."

While his strong faith and demeanor seem to be the polar opposite of volatile Chicago manager Ozzie Guillen, Fields says there is only one quality Guillen looks for.

"Ozzie wants us to play hard and win. I've never met anyone who wants to win more than Ozzie, and he expects his players to have the same attitude," Fields said. "He respects his players, no matter your beliefs, as long as you're committed to win."

Source